What's new

Hocus Pocus (1993) (4k UHD) Coming from Disney (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.08.25 AM.png

Coming by year's end

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Its nice to see Disney is releasing product other than streaming. Maybe there's hope for films like SOUND OF MUSIC.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I guess it's a good sign, that the stuff that is currently 4K exclusive to Disney+ will be getting a wider release. Good, because I would like to be able to own 4K versions of The Black Cauldron and The Sword in the Stone and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. My subscription to Disney+ ends in November and shall not be renewed.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Its nice to see Disney is releasing product other than streaming. Maybe there's hope for films like SOUND OF MUSIC.

Output may be slow right now, but Disney has been releasing a number of titles in 4k. Likely not all the ones everyone is clamoring for, but all the Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar movies are available, along with the live action remakes and most of the "modern animation" starting at Little Mermaid. There's a LOT more they can release, without a doubt.

Knowing their pattern, there will be other films coming with Hocus Pocus. It's pretty rare they release "just one" title.

Because it's ready to go and Halloween is coming? I grant you it seems like an odd choice, but throw it into a release wave with Nightmare Before Christmas and The Haunted Mansion (wishful thinking on my part) and they have some promotions for Halloween ready to go. I'd also guess everyone is trying to see what is 4k ready for disc since there won't be any new releases hitting home video until at least Q4 of 2020, give or take.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Output may be slow right now, but Disney has been releasing a number of titles in 4k. Likely not all the ones everyone is clamoring for, but all the Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar movies are available, along with the live action remakes and most of the "modern animation" starting at Little Mermaid. There's a LOT more they can release, without a doubt. Of course I understand their marketing strategy for this title.

Knowing their pattern, there will be other films coming with Hocus Pocus. It's pretty rare they release "just one" title.

Because it's ready to go and Halloween is coming? I grant you it seems like an odd choice, but throw it into a release wave with Nightmare Before Christmas and The Haunted Mansion (wishful thinking on my part) and they have some promotions for Halloween ready to go. I'd also guess everyone is trying to see what is 4k ready for disc since there won't be any new releases hitting home video until at least Q4 of 2020, give or take.
Jason,
I was being facetious with my question mark as I always viewed this movie as being terrible.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I grant you it seems like an odd choice, but throw it into a release wave with Nightmare Before Christmas and The Haunted Mansion (wishful thinking on my part) and they have some promotions for Halloween ready to go. I'd also guess everyone is trying to see what is 4k ready for disc since there won't be any new releases hitting home video until at least Q4 of 2020, give or take.

Given the fact that Disney makes money off this film every year, the fact that they choose this for a UHD release doesn't seem like such an "odd choice."

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Since this will most likely be the last physical media release of this film ever,

Given the fact that Disney makes money off this film every year, the fact that they choose this for a UHD release doesn't seem like such an "odd choice."

Sure is an odd choice, especially when you look at their recent release history for catalogue titles. Not going to argue it isn't a perennial seller for Disney, but was anyone REALLY waiting with baited breath for a 4k of Hocus Pocus?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So are they carrying over the extras from the double-dip Blu-ray reissue?

I assume that the included Blu-ray will be the same as the previous version released a couple of years ago. Especially since it is a relatively recent release, there doesn't seem to be any reason to modify it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
If you guys are wondering what else may be coming to 4K disc, you only need look at what is currently available in 4K on Disney+. You can expect The Princess Diaries 1 & 2, National Treasure 1 & 2, The Santa Clause, Remember the Titans, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Who Framed Roger Rabbit...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
When did "Hocus Pocus" seem to become some kind of classic?

It didn't do well in 1993 - $39m, which put it in 39th place for the year - and it got bad reviews, but now it seems to be viewed as a beloved classic!

Wha' happened??? :oops:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When did "Hocus Pocus" seem to become some kind of classic?

It didn't do well in 1993 - $39m, which put it in 39th place for the year - and it got bad reviews, but now it seems to be viewed as a beloved classic!

Wha' happened??? :oops:
What makes you think it's viewed as a beloved classic? It's getting a 4K disc release, but I wouldn't call it that type of movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What makes you think it's viewed as a beloved classic?

To a certain generation of fans who grew up with it, it absolutely is. It has developed a rabid cult following in the years since its initial release. You're not in the age bracket that most appreciates it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its fans.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Personally, antidotally, my local art house screens it every year around Halloween and makes it a big event with a costume contest and noisemakers and it always sells out, every time. I went to it a couple weeks after the most recent Blu-ray release, but they were still having to turn people away at the door; there were no tickets available on the day of the screening at all because the whole room was sold out in their biggest auditorium. That's how popular it was.

But also, honestly -- just search "Hocus Pocus cult classic" and you'll come up with any number of pieces about its status and how it has earned a cult following over the years. If it wasn't successful, Disney wouldn't bother extending the franchise, but a second movie is in development for Disney+. It's certainly not for everyone, but there is no denying that its reach has been significant in the years since its original release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Personally, antidotally, my local art house screens it every year around Halloween and makes it a big event with a costume contest and noisemakers and it always sells out, every time. I went to it a couple weeks after the most recent Blu-ray release, but they were still having to turn people away at the door; there were no tickets available on the day of the screening at all because the whole room was sold out in their biggest auditorium. That's how popular it was.

But also, honestly -- just search "Hocus Pocus cult classic" and you'll come up with any number of pieces about its status and how it has earned a cult following over the years. If it wasn't successful, Disney wouldn't bother extending the franchise, but a second movie is in development for Disney+. It's certainly not for everyone, but there is no denying that its reach has been significant in the years since its original release.
It may have a cult following, but that doesn't make it a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnthinkableSol
Recent bookmarks