What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Director Allen Coulter offers up an engrossing look at the Hollywood of more than half a century ago in Hollywoodland, a movie whose double-barreled construction works against its being as effective and as memorable as it might have been without the encumbrance of its fictional frame story.

Hollywoodland (2006)

Released: 08 Sep 2006
Rated: R
Runtime: 126 min

Director: Allen Coulter
Genre: Biography, Crime, Drama, History, Mystery, Romance, Thriller

Cast: Adrien Brody, Diane Lane, Ben Affleck, Bob Hoskins
Writer(s): Paul Bernbaum

Plot: A detective examines the mysterious death of George Reeves, the star of the television series Adventures of Superman (1952).

IMDB rating: 6.5
MetaScore: 62

Disc Information

Studio:...

Continue reading...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nice review, Matt. I haven’t seen this since it first came out but I recall having the same reaction - the fictional story just wasn’t as interesting as the true one contained within, and it’s kinda stunning that no one on the filmmaking team realized that. I had a similar reaction to “Julie & Julia,” where that film’s Julia Child biographical segments were outstanding but the present day story about a blogger reading her cookbook was an unnecessary distraction.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for the review.

I've never seen this film and I can't make up my mind if I really want to. I'm always reluctant to buy a disc I'll watch only once.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the review.

I've never seen this film and I can't make up my mind if I really want to. I'm always reluctant to buy a disc I'll watch only once.
I have to admit that I had only watched my HD-DVD of the movie only once or twice in all the years that I've had it.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks for the review.

Same here. It is intriguing but I this is a case where a streaming alternative would be welcome.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It's available on iTunes in the States as well.

Thanks.

I also found it on Vudu but I'm not crazy about their rental terms which are reminiscent of Divx. I don't always have time to finish a film in a single sitting and they only give you 24 hours once you start. iTunes gives you 48 hours so I guess that's the way I'll go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks