What's new
World Wide Stereo

Home Theater United Episode 33 - We Have Questions! (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Lipton questions:
  • What is your favorite word? Don't have one
  • What is your least favorite word? Don't really have one... though maybe "like" comes close when overused in ditzy kinda way, haha
  • What turns you on? Whatever's smart and/or funny (even if it might offend me at first)?
  • What turns you off? Whatever's dull and/or completely unresponsive -- I suppose apathy would sum that up
  • What sound or noise do you love? Think I love @JohnRice's answer, haha
  • What sound or noise do you hate? Offhand, nails on chalkboard I guess
  • What is your favorite curse word? Don't have one -- just not my thing... although I suppose there's a Japanese(?) curse(?) my Mom taught me that I find very funny (in the way she taught me)... but I can't imagine ever actually using it, LOL...
  • What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? IF I actually had the talent, maybe baseball pitcher or concert violinist -- actually my answer at an interview for my 2nd job (as software developer) after college... and the interviewer turned out to be a (similar kind of) baseball fan himself, and we ended up playing fantasy ball together for over a decade *after* we parted ways professionally... plus I've also learned to play the violin a little as adult beginner since then as well... IF we're talking something realistic, then maybe something involving teaching... probably in para-school setting, particularly the disadvantaged/underprivileged, but not traditional school teaching...
  • What profession would you not like to do? Traditional school teacher... even though I do actually like teaching, but just don't like all the red tape involved w/ that profession, especially in the local/NYC public school system
  • If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? "The irony is real, and I love it!" ;):laugh: of course, just kidding... sorta... :D My real answer would probably be too religious for consumption here (as I'm a "true believer"), haha... ;) :D
Films To Be Buried With Questions
  • What was the first-ever film you saw? What @JohnRice said, haha
  • What was the film that scared you the most? Don't have specific film name(s), but generally, some Hammer vampire flicks, particularly ones w/ Christopher Lee as Dracula, but not only... There was one other old film (probably from 70's) I vaguely recall where a train was pursued/overwhelmed by some kind of gang of undead, but I don't remember enough to figure out what it was... My parents used to love to bring us to see such horror flicks in the theater when I was maybe just 5-to-8-yo (and my brother ~2-1/2 years younger)... The whole notion of (western) vampires spooked me the most largely because you generally can't tell they're vampires until it's too late...
  • What was the film that made you cry the most? Wayne Wang's The Joy Luck Club -- I was sobbing almost non-stop from roughly midpoint to the end the first time I saw it during its original theatrical run
  • What film is TERRIBLE but you love it? Can't think of anything fitting that description offhand other than maybe the Y2K reboot of Charlie's Angels -- "terrible" may be too strong a word; maybe Kick-Ass(?) if we're talking one that Roger Ebert (and others similarly offended) thinks is terrible, hehheh...
  • What is the film you once loved but watching it now you realise it’s terrible? Short Circuit... and it pained me to have to (re)buy it for my college-aged firstborn, LOL...
  • What is the film that means the most to you? Not because of the film it’s self, but because of the memories, you have of it. IF you mean by association, maybe Joy Luck Club?
  • What is the sexiest film? Hmmm... maybe whatever w/ a perky Meg Ryan (or sultry voiced Linda Fiorentino or Patricia Clarkson?) in it, LOL? Ok, if we must narrow it down, then maybe a toss-up between that flick w/ Sally or The Last Seduction? OR how about Body Heat or The Grifters or maybe The Red Violin?
  • Which film do you most relate to? The Joy Luck Club? even though I'm not a woman... :P OR maybe Almost Famous? even though I never did anything quite like young William Miller :D
  • Which film is objectively the greatest ever? Objectively? Is that some kinda trick question, LOL?
  • Which film is the one you’ve watched the most? Not sure... maybe Star Wars?
  • What’s the worst film you’ve ever seen? Hard to say... but I prefer not to dwell on what's (truly) worst... :P
  • What is the film that’s literally made you laugh out loud the most? Can't quite recall -- I sorta wanna say Tropic Thunder, but I seem to vaguely recall another that made me laugh more...

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@Brian Dobbs , I'm guessing what happened with your subs and Tenet was beyond just port noise and went to the point of something mechanical, with the drivers actually rattling. Unfortunately, if you smelled burning, it probably caused permanent damage. What you should try instead of turning the level down is to adjust the subsonic filter on the sub amp to a higher setting. If it has that, which I suspect it does. If it's happening that bad, turn it up to the highest frequency, which is probably 25Hz. The filter isn't a brick wall, so it won't just cut off at 25Hz, but will roll it back starting at 25Hz.

This is the reason I switched from all ported subs to all sealed in the last 2-3 years. You tend to need to go higher with a sealed sub, but they also tend to be cheaper than ported ones, since the enclosure is so much smaller. For instance, in the SVS line, the (ported) PB-3000 is $1,599 and the (sealed) SB-4000 is $1,799. When choosing between the two, I'd take the SB-4000 every day of the week, without hesitation. Stepping up from that, the PB-4000 is the same price as the SB-16 Ultra. The price of the PB-4000 must have gone up in the last week or two, because they didn't used to be the same. Absolutely no doubt whatsoever. The SB-16 is the way to go between the two. Not even a question. What happened to you with Tenet physically can NOT happen with a sealed sub, and a truly capable sealed sub will still plumb the depths as much as you need.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW @Sam , I understand your dislike of Dream Theater. Their "Rock Opera" approach to music can be a lot to take, but I highly recommend you check out A Dramatic Turn of Events. It's really exceptional.

Also, I chose Star Wars for the poll before I listened to the podcast. I was definitely surprised to hear you pick it as well.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
  • What is your favorite word?
    • Stochastic because it’s just a tasty work
    • Pusillanimous which I learned in college and it’s so evocative
    • Tautology because it explains so much
  • What is your least favorite word?
    • ???
  • What turns you on?
    • Taking this in a non-sexual fashion, I love talking scifi or board games with friends and coworkers
  • What turns you off?
    • Anti-vaxers
  • What sound or noise do you love?
    • My cat’s purring
  • What sound or noise do you hate?
    • The constant noise of tinnitus
  • What is your favorite curse word?
    • Forking
  • What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
    • In a fantasy world I’m a sound designer or Foley artist
    • In reality, I could be working for J&J designing contact lenses and I wonder about the road not traveled.
  • What profession would you not like to do?
  • If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates?
    • What is going on with 4K Projectors?!?!?!?
  • What was the first-ever film you saw?
    • ???
  • What was the film that scared you the most?
    • Alien. I’ve never seen it all the way through
  • What was the film that made you cry the most?
    • Bridge to Terabithia, based on my favorite book of the same name, hits hard
  • What film is TERRIBLE but you love it?
    • Inexplicably, I love “Constantine” with Keanu Reeves. Not sure it’s “terrible”, but it’s kinda in this category
    • ”Big Trouble in Little China” also in the cult classic category
  • What is the film you once loved but watching it now you realise it’s terrible?
    • I’m having trouble with “A Christmas Story” since 2020 when people were discussing its various prejudicial representations
    • I also try not to think about Big Trouble in this way since it also probaly has problems but I love it
  • What is the film that means the most to you? Not because of the film it’s self, but because of the memories, you have of it.
    • Amelie
    • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    • Howl’s Moving Castle
    • …all movies I associate with my wife
  • What is the sexiest film?
    • ???
  • Which film do you most relate to?
    • ???
  • Which film is objectively the greatest ever?
    • Earnest Saves Christmas
  • Which film is the one you’ve watched the most?
    • “It’s a Wonderful LIfe’ simply because I’ve watched it at Christmas a number of times?
    • Likewise, “The Wizard of Oz” from seeing it on TV every year as a kid?
    • As an adult, I don’t rewatch much. There‘s too much new to spend time watching old.
  • What’s the worst film you’ve ever seen?
    • Some garbage Jet Li movie I walked out of circa 2002.
    • “American Beauty” is one of the most overrated movies I’ve seen
    • I’ve grown weary of the MCU-ification of current cinema. They’re not “worst” but they’re so “just good enough for mass market but never brilliant”, it’s kinda dispiriting to me.
  • What is the film that’s literally made you laugh out loud the most?
    • ???

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
  • What is your favorite word?
    • Stochastic because it’s just a tasty work
    • Pusillanimous which I learned in college and it’s so evocative
    • Tautology because it explains so much

Aaaah... so you're that sort... ;):D

• What is your favorite curse word?
    • Forking

Surprised there's no mention of Mystery Men (later... or anywhere) then... w/ Hank Azaria as the Blue Raja... forking a way... ;):D

• What was the film that scared you the most?
    • Alien. I’ve never seen it all the way through

This might've been my answer too if not for the Hammer vampire flicks of my early-ish childhood years... although I did manage to watch the whole thing...

A few decades later my then-young son was terrified by Aliens (the James Cameron sequel) probably a bit like I was of those old Hammer vampire flicks... except I saw so many of them on the big screen in dark theater (as well as on tele reruns later) across so many years unlike his once-and-done during daytime at home -- my recurring childhood-to-adolescent nightmares and active imagination about vampires continued to spook me well into adulthood, LOL...

• What film is TERRIBLE but you love it?
    • Inexplicably, I love “Constantine” with Keanu Reeves. Not sure it’s “terrible”, but it’s kinda in this category
    • ”Big Trouble in Little China” also in the cult classic category
  • What is the film you once loved but watching it now you realise it’s terrible?
    • I’m having trouble with “A Christmas Story” since 2020 when people were discussing its various prejudicial representations
    • I also try not to think about Big Trouble in this way since it also probaly has problems but I love it

What??? Big Trouble in Little China is awesome sauce, LOL! I get that some might worry about potentially culturally/racially sensitive elements, but honestly, I think that'd simply be overly sensitive (as people can sometimes be) and missing the good fun and humor in irony, etc.

And I also enjoyed A Christmas Story (w/ my family) when I saw it for the first time almost a decade ago... though haven't gotten around to seeing it again since -- it seems a fave w/ very many people next to Die Hard for Christmas -- my wife definitely far prefers Die Hard though...

• What is the film that means the most to you? Not because of the film it’s self, but because of the memories, you have of it.
    • Amelie
    • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    • Howl’s Moving Castle
    • …all movies I associate with my wife

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

My wife (and I, of course) loves Eternal Sunshine as well... even though she doesn't usually love such strange/quirky romcom-ish dramedies... She did also love Being John Malkovich (to some extent) as well though...

• Which film is objectively the greatest ever?
    • Earnest Saves Christmas

:laugh::laugh::laugh::rolling-smiley:

• Which film is the one you’ve watched the most?
    • “It’s a Wonderful LIfe’ simply because I’ve watched it at Christmas a number of times?
    • Likewise, “The Wizard of Oz” from seeing it on TV every year as a kid?
    • As an adult, I don’t rewatch much. There‘s too much new to spend time watching old.

Hmmm... don't know how I forgot/overlooked those and The Sound of Music... all of which gets aired at least once a year on free network TV around some holiday... Throw in the few Charles Schulz Peanuts Gang holiday specials (maybe followed closely by Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol and March of the Wooden Soldiers) too...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Surprised there's no mention of Mystery Men (later... or anywhere) then... w/ Hank Azaria as the Blue Raja... forking a way... ;):D
I’ve never seen Mystery Men. I remember when it came out, but it didn’t look like my kind of thing back then and since forgot about it.
This might've been my answer too if not for the Hammer vampire flicks of my early-ish childhood years... although I did manage to watch the whole thing...
The other movies that freaked me out where Nightmare on Elm Street, which I saw in high school on VHS during a marching band party. I was not into horror, and that movie freaked me out a bit. Also, probably that same party, Faces of Death. Yeesh.

A few decades later my then-young son was terrified by Aliens (the James Cameron sequel) probably a bit like I was of those old Hammer vampire flicks... except I saw so many of them on the big screen in dark theater (as well as on tele reruns later) across so many years unlike his once-and-done during daytime at home -- my recurring childhood-to-adolescent nightmares and active imagination about vampires continued to spook me well into adulthood, LOL...
Aliens, on the other hand, came out in high school and that was one of the all time great action movies!

What??? Big Trouble in Little China is awesome sauce, LOL! I get that some might worry about potentially culturally/racially sensitive elements, but honestly, I think that'd simply be overly sensitive (as people can sometimes be) and missing the good fun and humor in irony, etc.
I love Big Trouble, and from what I’ve read, John Carpenter was trying to do something good. But it’s had significant critique from the start and I as I get older, I get it more. So…I like it, but I see why some people see problems with it.

And I also enjoyed A Christmas Story (w/ my family) when I saw it for the first time almost a decade ago... though haven't gotten around to seeing it again since -- it seems a fave w/ very many people next to Die Hard for Christmas -- my wife definitely far prefers Die Hard though...
I love A Christmas Story and have watched it a few times over the years. And then during the pandemic, I read a critique by Ken Jeong (IIRC) and it gave me a new perspective.

My wife (and I, of course) loves Eternal Sunshine as well... even though she doesn't usually love such strange/quirky romcom-ish dramedies... She did also love Being John Malkovich (to some extent) as well though...
I haven’t seen John Malkovich since the theater, I think. I’ve wondered if it holds up. I’m due to rewatch Eternal Sunshine. It’s been a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks