What's new
World Wide Stereo

How can I get the most out of my Height channels when not using material whith height channels? (1 Viewer)

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
OK I broke down and installed 4 height channels. So my system currently consists of ;

Marantz AV7704
11 channels of amplification ranging from 200 - 500 watts per channel at 8 ohms
Various speakers, 5 of which are home made.
Xfinity X1 and Sony DBP-3370 Blu-Ray player.

I intend to purchase the Sony UBP-X800M2 when it becomes available, but for now, I would like to hear the height channels do something other than "All Channel Stereo." Does the Marantz sound processor have an option to convert 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 audio movie sound tracks into 7.4.1?

If so how do I enable it?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
It appears the "Movie" Button will give various sound processor choices such as Aura, DTX, Dolby.

Anybody have recommendations as to the best option?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your processor can be pre-set so that it uses Dolby Surround with Dolby soundtracks and DTS Neuro (I think that's it) with DTS soundtracks to synthesize the additional channels. It works better with some soundtracks than others. Two that come to mind are Frozen and The Greatest Showman which I thought really benefited.

BTW, height channels are an old concept that was never actually mixed into soundtracks. The speakers now should be overhead, not just high. They should be in or attached to the ceiling, somewhere around 35-45 degrees in front of and behind straight above the main viewing position.

aceinc

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Your processor can be pre-set so that it uses Dolby Surround with Dolby soundtracks and DTS Neuro (I think that's it) with DTS soundtracks to synthesize the additional channels. It works better with some soundtracks than others. Two that come to mind are Frozen and The Greatest Showman which I thought really benefited.

BTW, height channels are an old concept that was never actually mixed into soundtracks. The speakers now should be overhead, not just high. They should be in or attached to the ceiling, somewhere around 35-45 degrees in front of and behind straight above the main viewing position.
Hopefully, I can find the appropriate setting(s) I suspect Auto from the following link, but I am not sure if this will automatically select the enhanced modes (height channels) for input signals in "x.1" encoding.

http://manuals.marantz.com/AV7704/NA/EN/DRDZSYyrtgycpw.php

My height speakers are flush mounted in the ceiling. Because of compromises in my living space the front height speakers are a little too far forward and the rears are a little too close.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What is marked on the back of your Marantz pre/pro as height channels is not to be confused with what height channels used to be used for. Older receivers and pre/pros used to have a extended height channels that would work with 5.1 and 7.1 content but while it appears that your pre/pro has that capability you will have to choose extending legacy content to height channels or running them as Dolby Atmos and I do not think there is a feature to bounce back and forth between the two. In the set up / configuration I believe you have to choose the speaker configuration if you want to use your ceiling speakers as height extensions or Atmos. And since you say your looking to get the new Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Blu-ray player that is coming out mid May for $299. I would suggest just configuring for Atmos and DTS-X and if you can cycle your movie mode using the movie button under the door to get height effects from non Atmos content then you can do it that way. But I honestly would not give up Atmos and DTS-X encoded disc ability for legacy content not encoded for height channels.

I do love your Marantz Pre/Pro! Are you able to utilize the balanced XLR outs or are you using the unbalanced rca outs to your power amplifiers?

My height speakers are flush mounted in the ceiling. Because of compromises in my living space the front height speakers are a little too far forward and the rears are a little too close.

You can always adjust for that even if you ran Audyssey by going into your setting menu and adjusting speaker levels.

IMG_2231a.jpg

IMG_2530a.jpg

IMG_2519a.jpg

IMG_2353a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks