What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International How Cool Is This? DON'T LOOK NOW Coming In 4K! (And To Theaters) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is one of my favorite films, though, at times, I don't understand some of the character interactions.

I have the Criterion edition still in shrink wrap. Have no idea how it looks.

However, depending on reviews, I would consider upgrading to 4k.

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The first ever 4K restoration of DON'T LOOK NOW which was Nicolas Roeg's finest film and, arguably, one of the best British films ever made. Starring Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, this is a brilliant adaptation of a Daphne Du Maurier short story. On a cold, bright autumn day in Suffolk, England, a little girl in a red mackintosh drowns in a pond - the daughter of John and Laura Baxter . Trying to recover from the tragedy, the couple arrive in Venice, Italy, where John has been commissioned to restore a church. In the eerie atmosphere of the lagoon city in winter, they encounter two strange sisters. Laura is suddenly released from her grief when one of them, a blind psychic, tells her that she is in contact with her dead daughter. Angered and skeptical, John carries on with his work, but witnesses an unsettling vision of his own: a little girl in a red mackintosh disappearing into the Venetian alleys.

As Venice and his fate closes in on John, illusion, reality and sudden terror spiral the story to its grotesque climax, as the design in director Nicolas Roeg's mosaic becomes unforgettably clear.

Available as part of a 4 disc Collector's Edition, with brand new artwork by Jeremy Enecio, inlcuding UHD, Blu-ray Feature, Blu-ray bonus disc with brand new extras and the original haunting Pino Donnagio CD soundtrack. Also contains 5 artcards, new theatrical poster and booklet with essays and original articles.

For the 2019 restoration of DON'T LOOK NOW, STUDIOCANAL went back to the original camera negative which was scanned at 4K resolution in 16bit and created the following: 4K DCP, UHD version and a new HD version which were produced with the same high technological standards as today's biggest international film releases. The restoration and new UHD version was colour graded and approved in London by the BAFTA Award-winning cinematographer, Anthony B Richmond.

Extras:
  • Pass the Warning: Taking A Look Back at Nic Roeg's Masterpiece
  • A kaleidoscope of meaning: colour in Don't Look Now
  • 4k Restoration featurette
  • Audio Commentary with Nic Roeg
  • Death in Venice: Interview with Pino Donaggio
  • Interview with Donald Sutherland
  • Interview with Allan Scott
  • Interview with Tony Richmond
  • Interview with Danny Boyle
  • Don't Look Now: Looking Back
  • Behind the scenes stills gallery
  • Plus: 5 artcards, theatrical poster, CD of Pino Donnagio Soundtrack and Booklet with essays and original articles

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have to say, the first time I saw Don't Look Now at the movies, it haunted me for DAYS afterwards. Instilled in me a kind of dread to ever see it again for fear of reliving that overwhelming sense of doom and sorrow and shock. I resisted seeing it for a long, long time, but I finally bought a Region B Blu-ray several years ago and rewatched it, and the SAME thing happened.

There are just some movies that get truly under your skin, and this is one of them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Agreed, Matt!

I am really thinking of picking this up in 4k, but waiting for reviews first.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I first saw this in a college film class, and like Matt, it haunted me for days. It's a terrific, eerie film. I already own the Criterion BD, though, so I not sure if I will upgrade. Like Ron, I will wait for reviews to see if there is a significant difference between the BD and UHD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is one of my favorite films, though, at times, I don't understand some of the character interactions.

I have the Criterion edition still in shrink wrap. Have no idea how it looks.

However, depending on reviews, I would consider upgrading to 4k.

The Criterion is quite good, many steps up from any previous edition including European Blu-rays. But this new one is simply going to be an instant purchase for me. I've loved this film since I saw it in a small theater in 1973, and I drove a hundred miles two days in a row to see it again years later (in 16mm) at a revival cinema (all pre-video). So glad it is now accessible with such ease.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
After reading a highly favorable review on this 4k release I ordered it for about $35 shipped. It's on the way to me. Should have it in two weeks.

Amazing how many copies of this film I now own. I remember when Paramount was to release the censored version of this film to DVD only to accidentally release the unrated version. From a VHS copy to Paramount DVD and Blu-ray to Criterion Blu-ray to Studio Canal 4k.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The Criterion disc is as stated quite good. It's hard for me to imagine it being bettered but from everything I've read it has been bettered. Spooky film.

How was this released purchased for $35? Amazon U.K.?

Thanks

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The Criterion disc is as stated quite good. It's hard for me to imagine it being bettered but from everything I've read it has been bettered. Spooky film.

How was this released purchased for $35? Amazon U.K.?

Thanks

Paul,

Yes. Amazon U.K.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I watched UK 4K disc and was very disappointed. All of my 4K discs look fantastic. DON'T LOOK NOW looks oversaturated and very grainy in the night sequences ...which are many.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I watched UK 4K disc and was very disappointed. All of my 4K discs look fantastic. DON'T LOOK NOW looks oversaturated and very grainy in the night sequences ...which are many.

I am surprised to read this after reading two overwhelmingly positive online reviews about the transfer.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Mr Mackenzie I’m pretty sure did the compression on the studio canal UHD - it looks sublime

Wish he coulda done The Deer Hunter for them

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am truly baffled as to why my 4K looks so bad.

Ken, I am not saying you are wrong. Thus far, this new transfer has gotten rave reviews. I would not have bought it and been happy with my Critierion copy if not for the overwhelmingly positive reviews.

I could get my copy and be unhappy with it too. I won't know for another two weeks or so. It can take some time getting here from the U.K.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am truly baffled as to why my 4K looks so bad.

Well, I said this about several UHD releases (BLADE RUNNER being one) that others insisted was perfection. As has been said so many times here, "We all through different eyes."

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's one of the only movies which made me scream out loud .. and kick my feet against the chair in front. Totally out of control. The only others which had a similar effect were Psycho (of course), and The Green Man (when Alastair Sim staggered in through the French doors....)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Psycho obviously had that effect on me, but the only two other times I can remember jumping out of my seat was at the revelation of the old crone in House on Haunted Hill (give me a break, I was 10) and Wait Until Dark. Even today, watching these movies, I get shuddery when those moments approach because the memories of my first reaction to them are still so vivid all these decades later.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching the 4k release.

First, I do need to say that this is a film I have watched countless times on just about every format. No matter how many times I have seen and know it by heart, it still plays fresh with each repeated viewing. This is truly one of the greats!

This 4k release absolutely looks better than anything I have previously seen --- though I still have the Criterion version in shrinkwrap -- so that statement will mean nothing to those looking for a compare.

Yes, the film varies from grainy to very grainy, though the severe grain runs only for a few seconds here and there.

The film also has a very soft look to it. It's the way it was lensed. I also keep thinking about the Kodak film stock used during the 70s and wonder how much that has to do with the film's almost faded feel.

All that being said, there are times that I can see the huge improvements that 4k brings. The closeups are outstanding with its huge reveal of skin detail. I have always felt that closeup detail is where this new format succeeds the most.

My overall impression is that this is a spectacular transfer with no blemishes to be seen, and added sharpness/detail that looks very familiar to me now that I have become accustomed to 4k projection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks