What's new

How to install a wireless microphone to my home theater system. (1 Viewer)

Harpies

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hi
I want to purchase a wireless microphone for my Panasonic SC-PT956 DVD Player/Home Theater System. This system does not have karaoke feature. Therefore, there isn't any microphone input/hole. I'm wonder is the wireless microphone means I just need to connect the power adapter into the machine, any other line? Because if the wireless microphone system still require an mic hole that I'm not going to buy it. I'm a absolute newbie to home theater system , hope you guys understand what my question is.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You probably should ask in a karaoke oriented forum. You'll need a microphone pre-amp/mixer of some kind. Probably there are some combo mixer/wireless microphone systems, while others would require a separate pre-amp unit. Karaoke-DVD players would have microphone inputs and you could plug that into the system.

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Is this a specific wireless mic that you are looking at? The way most would work is, there is a base and a microphone. The base would connect to the wall (for power) and would also connect to your amp (usually a standard low-Z mic cable connection or 1/4" stereo connection) so buying a wireless mic alone would not work. Many places (online and radioshack) would sell a mini mixer unit that you could connect your wireless mic base to then it would have a standard RCA (red and white) output connection that you could connect to an aux input on your receiver.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102920&tab=features

So all in all depeding on the wireless mic you need:
Wireless mic with base
Mixer unit with RCA output
Cable from wireless mic base to mixer unit
Cable from mixer unit to receiver

Harpies

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for answer my question. Seems like you guys have exactly what I want to know. But I also want to know if I install that wireless mic , do I need to switch the Home theater system to "AUX" mode? Because the home theater system I have featured with dvd player as well. Therefore, when I insert a dvd disk and use the mic I need it to stay in "dvd mode" so I can see the screen and sing song. I bought the New Behringer Mix800 Compact Karaoke Machine on eBay. It requires me to switch to "AUX" mode when I want to use the mic so it didn't work for me. And thanks again for helping me.

Link deleted by moderator; links to live eBay auctions are not permitted.

Harpies

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hi
Thanks for answer my question. Seems like you have exactly what I want to know. But I also want to know if I install that wireless mic , do I need to switch the Home theater system to "AUX" mode? Because the home theater system I have featured with dvd player as well. Therefore, when I insert a dvd disk and use the mic I need it to stay in "dvd mode" so I can see the screen and sing song. I bought the New Behringer Mix800 Compact Karaoke Machine on eBay. It requires me to switch to "AUX" mode when I want to use the mic so it didn't work for me.

Link deleted by moderator; links to live eBay auctions are not permitted.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Yes, you need to switch to "aux" mode on your system. If you need DVD simultaneously basically you need to buy karaoke-DVD player so you can mix background music + vocals then feed it into the aux. "Home theater in a box" is definitely not "karaoke in a box". Separate component systems are more flexible, for both applications.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Actually, you should be able to use any wireless mic that has a 1/4" unbalanced jack for an output. The 1/4" output is line level and can be connected to a receiver's AUX or other input (you'd want to use a "y" splitter to get it into both channels).

The problem is, as others have noted, is that you can't use the receiver's mic and music source inputs at the same time. You'll need a separate mixer of some kind. You could plug both the mic and DVD player's analog audio output to the mixer, then the mixer would plug into one of the receiver's inputs. You could keep the DVD player's digital output connected to the receiver as it normally is.

Something to keep in mind, most home audio systems are not up to the dynamics of live audio signals. It will probably be easy for a dynamic singer to make the receiver clip. Not to mention, if the mic is ever dropped on the floor, it could very well toast your speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Very true, you would have to be extra careful and adjust all the levels on your mixer.

Another good point made was that you could buy any stand alone dvd player and hook that up to the mixer as well as the wireless mic, the one I posted a link to from radio shack could do this. That way you would have the AUDIO signal from the dvd player going in to the mixer, the AUDIO from your mic going in to the mixer, then that signal would go to the surround system and you'd have to select the AUX input. Then you would have to run a seperate video cable (from the stand alone dvd player) to your TV to see the words.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks