What's new

How to make HDMI splitter work with receiver and TV? (1 Viewer)

CSGOan

Auditioning
Real Name
Anton
My setup is this:

TV: Sony A80J

Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3050

Nvidia shield

Beforehand I connected the Shield directly to the TV and the receiver to the TV, as the receiver does not support Dolby Vision. Apparently this makes it so I can't play Dolby TrueHD as the TV doesn't support passthrough of TrueHD and DTS-HD.

To get around this I was recommended to get an HDMI splitter, which I did, but I can't get it to work. I bought the Ezcootech HDMI splitter.

I connected the Nvidia shield to splitter, and splitter HDMI out 1 to TV, and HDMI out 2 to receiver. The receiver was still connected to the TV as well. The sound worked as normal but I was not able to tell if the sound was actually playing TrueHD or not. I had a file playing but the receiver says "Dolby atmos", nothing more. When I press the information button on my remote it says Dolby TrueHD but it says that when I have the Shield connected to the TV right away as well, so that seems an unreliable source. Also the Shield remote starts the Shield but it doesn't start the TV or the receiver anymore...

I decided to remove the HDMI between the receiver and the TV and now there is no sound at all, so obviously it never worked to begin with. The TV was sending the signal to the audio system all along, as I suspected.

I tried all 3 settings on the splitter, COPY1, 4K 5.1 and lastly 4K 7.1. No change.

1. How do I make this work? I want to be able to enjoy Dolby Vision as well as TrueHD and DTS HD...
  2. How do I verify what audio format is being played? The receiver just says Dolby atmos... It doesn't say if it is TrueHD or Dolby digital+....

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unfortunately, this can't be accomplished without a receiver that passes Dolby Vision. Then you connect your streaming device(s) to it, and pass the video on to the TV. There is no workaround that I'm aware of. Sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks