What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

How to rip Blu-ray and UHD on a Mac? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since you’re really asking how to rip discs on a Mac, I’ve moved the post and renamed it to hopefully get some help from Mac users who do similar. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Nupe!

Welcome to our forum.

I burn a lot of things to Blu-ray Disc.

The software of choice for me is ROXIO TOAST PRO or ROXIO TOAST TITANIUM with the BD Plug-In.

Have not burned 4k discs with the software. Not sure if it supports it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We’ve got a thread on ripping discs on a Mac here that may be of use:

In short, the MakeMKV program is what we’ve been using to rip bit-perfect copies from discs. They take up a lot of space. I don’t compress further to shrink the file sizes, but if that’s a goal, Handbrake can take the rips from MakeMKV and transcode to a variety of formats.

I know that’s a bit of a long thread but I like it because it has the journeys that Nelson and I took to find what worked best for our needs with the tools we had, and my hope is that that experience will be beneficial to anyone looking for ideas. If you have any specific questions about why we did what we did, ask over there and I think that’ll get the most visibility and hopefully will get you any additional answers you might be looking for.

It is a time consuming hobby that only a crazy person would find fun - which describes me! :D

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Does MakeMKV support UHD disc ripping?

Yes. Though with a caveat that the bluray-r drive has to be an LG model with an older firmware.

(Later revisions of the firmware disabled the "easy" 4Kbluray disc authentication abilities, which programs like makemkv, dvdfab, etc ... are dependent on).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I won't go into specific details.

This is something you will have to do your own research to figure out which particular LG bluray-r drives (or LG rebadges such as Asus) are capable of reading 4Kbluray discs, and which exact firmware versions have the "easy" disc authentication abilities.

If you buy a new current 4Kbluray-r LG drive with a later firmware revision, there's the nasty business of re-flashing the older "easy" firmware version. (ie. Very easy to "brick" the drive by your own hands).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does MakeMKV support UHD disc ripping?
Yes.

There’s a discussion on what drives and firmware are supported, and how to get them, in the forum. At this point, I believe you can buy any LG drive you want, download and run a firmware flashing app that reverts it to the older firmware version, and have the drive you want in minutes.

(By chance, I bought an LG UHD drive when they were shipping the desired firmware so it worked out of the box.)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
i just discovered this thread. Yes Doug, what Josh said. He and Dave was highly instrumental in helping me learn the ropes of making MKV files on my Mac Pro. The thread is highly helpful!

FYI, I have a Pioneer drive that’s an internal drive that I replaced one of the SuperDrives with. The drive supposedly reads UHD discs too, I have not tried one yet. But it’s probably something I’ll try.

I was ripping some DVD and blu rays discs today as a matter of fact. It is a highly insane effort. But the rewards are well worth it. It’s so cool to just use an Apple TV to access those files via the Plex and the Infuse apps.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Yes.

There’s a discussion on what drives and firmware are supported, and how to get them, in the forum. At this point, I believe you can buy any LG drive you want, download and run a firmware flashing app that reverts it to the older firmware version, and have the drive you want in minutes.

(By chance, I bought an LG UHD drive when they were shipping the desired firmware so it worked out of the box.)
Last month, I picked up an LG WH16NS40 on Amazon for $65 and was able to hack the firmware to make this UHD-friendly drive be able to read and rip UHD discs. IIRC, it required three rounds of flashing, and I had to use the command line approach in Windows 10.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I have the Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD and it's been able to rip every DVD/BD/UHD disc that I've thrown at it, except for a handful of apparently rotted ones that I have that other players can't open either. It's a little noisy on some discs at full speed but that's not a big deal.

I'd considered the desktop drive approach but I'd need to get an enclosure for it which brings the price closer to the portable ones.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Greg, did you have to muck with the firmware to get it to work with UHD discs?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Nope, MakeMKV/LibreDrive works with it as is, as described in the MakeMKV thread linked above.

there will be no friendly pioneer drives only official UHD drives will be able to read UHD discs so dont buy an non UHD one and expect it to work with UHD
Pioneer Drives Currently do not need to be flashed they should just work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks