What's new
World Wide Stereo

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Here’s a suggestion. How about inviting regular forum members on as guests once in a while.

Hint hint.....;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have a suggestion for a future podcast: CG vs practical effects. There is a lot of controversy here on the forum about this. Are CG effects as bad as some suggest? Do practical effects have an inherent advantage since they are there in front of the lens with the actors.

Just a thought.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here’s a suggestion. How about inviting regular forum members on as guests once in a while.

Hint hint.....;)

Definitely on our agenda. The problem with that is twofold:
1. Each of our episodes has been topic focused. How do we determine who has interesting things about those very specific topics?
2. Not having long time members feel left out. Which relates to number one. Longest tenure doesn't necessarily mean the deepest perspective.

Also, gotta tell you, it has taken 3-4 episodes for me to really relax behind the mic and I STILL find myself trying to talk over people. Brian has been brilliant at making me sound better but still talking naturally for long periods of time is a skill that takes work to build up. I'm definitely still got a long way to go. Adding new folks who aren't experienced each time could be a challenge.

Choosing reviewers and owners for this one gave us an easy out for the choice in #1 and 2. And all of our guests were GREAT, nobody froze up, everyone was natural and came prepared, so that was a relief for the addendum.

We'll definitely do it again in the future but I wouldn't count on it being a regular thing.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Really enjoyed the podcast, guys! It was nice to put voices to some of the long-time member names, and the whole idea was a fun mental exercise...though choosing only three Desert Island movies is brutal! A wide variety of choices, and it's always interesting to see what constitutes "comfort viewing" for people, as it's such a personal thing.

There was also some impressive out-of-the-box thinking going on, especially Cameron's secondary list of movies to make him not miss humanity. Neil picked some stellar sci-fi/ horror classics for his list, though I'm not sure that I'd want to be watching Carpenter's The Thing late at night, all by myself on a deserted island, with who knows what creepy crawlies lurking about. ;)

I'll have a think about my own list and maybe chime in later.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've just started it! But pandemic has robbed me of my regular podcast / audiobook listening times. So I'll be slow to finish. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And for future topic consideration: on hearing the intro, my *immediate* reaction is: I also want to hear what TV series people take to their Pandemic Island! :D

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
And for future topic consideration: on hearing the intro, my *immediate* reaction is: I also want to hear what TV series people take to their Pandemic Island! :D
Long running ones. The Simpsons would be a good choice for me since it's been on for 31 seasons but there's also commentaries on the first 19 years so that would fill even more of your time. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
TV shows I am bringing: Everything Dave Chappelle and Key & Peele have ever done. The Sopranos. Breaking Bad. Sons of Anarchy. The Wire. Ozark. I think I got the two extremes covered. In the middle? OK Hill Street Blues and LA LAW.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I talk a little about that, not sure if it made the final cut :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m about halfway through, really enjoying. Maybe my favorite yet! (Appreciate the little shout out from Brian on Star Wars).

What happened with the emergency weather alert tone breaking over Sam’s Shawshank comments about 1:13:50?

I gotta go back and get the reccos for movies with good commentaries. There’s some stuff there I want to check out later. Maybe thats in the show notes up front, haven’t perused them yet.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Longest tenure doesn't necessarily mean the deepest perspective.
Excuse me while I take a dip into the shallow end of gene-pool. :P If anyone doesn’t understand how hard talking for an audience is, just sit in front of your computer, turn the camera and mic on, then try to be interesting for 5 minutes. :eek:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just being extra cautious with spoilers this time. ;)
Appreciate it. Maybe further evaluate your options for spoiler tones. That one is “Tornado is coming, get in your basements” scary! :D Maybe co-op Inception’s “BWAAAAARRRRMMMM” for a spoiler sound. That’s cinematic and keeping with your style?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So TV shows...I usually go with an indication of what's on my mind currently. And that would be Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, which I'm currently in the middle of creating backup MKV files for. I imagine it would be easier to take to the desert island if I just need a 1 TB HD and a laptop. :)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
So TV shows...I usually go with an indication of what's on my mind currently. And that would be Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, which I'm currently in the middle of creating backup MKV files for. I imagine it would be easier to take to the desert island if I just need a 1 TB HD and a laptop. :)
Hey, I've been putting thought into backing up my non-anamorphic DVD copy of The Ref with Denis Leary. I'm looking for a way to rip it while retaining the DD5.1 soundtrack. Any suggestions?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hey, I've been putting thought into backing up my non-anamorphic DVD copy of The Ref with Denis Leary. I'm looking for a way to rip it while retaining the DD5.1 soundtrack. Any suggestions?

MakeMKV is free, works on pretty much all platforms, and does bit-for-bit copies without compressing or transcoding the data. That’s what I’d suggest.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
MakeMKV is definitely the way to do it. Then you can keep it bit-for-bit or compress it with HandBrake. Either way allows you to maintain the original DD soundtrack unchanged.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks