What's new

I have a newer Sony soundbar and subwoofer that I want to connect to my old Sony receiver, HELP!! (1 Viewer)

reesegh53

Auditioning
Real Name
Reese
Currently, I have a Sony SA-WMT300 soundbar and subwoofer. It has an optical cable that runs from to the TV to the soundbar. The soundbar is wirelessly connected to the subwoofer and neither have RCA ports. I want to use both with the Sony STR-DE975 receiver I have. I found a converter for RCA to optical for the soundbar but I can't find a way to connect the wireless soundbar to the receiver. Then I got the thought that I could combine the channel for the soundbar (which I would use as the center speaker) and the subwoofer into one RCA which would convert to one optical cable and go into the soundbar. It would then get separated and sent to the subwoofer. Would this work or do I need to buy a different subwoofer?
IMG_1440.jpeg
IMG_1439.jpeg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The short answer you won’t want to hear is that soundbars and receivers are different eco systems. They don’t work together. You either use the soundbar system, OR the receiver with passive speakers. Sorry.

What were you hoping to accomplish? Maybe we can get you there.

reesegh53

Auditioning
Real Name
Reese
Thank you for the reply. I recently moved into a new house with surround sound speakers built into the walls. I already had the soundbar and subwoofer and wanted to make all of those work with the receiver I have. The only problem was that I have no way of connecting the wireless subwoofer to the receiver. Should I consider just using the rest of the system without the subwoofer?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Unless the wireless subwoofer also has a line input (which I doubt), you would need to purchase a separate subwoofer to use with your receiver. Those wireless subwoofers that come with soundbars are almost always designed to work only with the soundbar. As John already mentioned, soundbars and receivers are completely different audio eco systems, and are not designed to work together.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adding to the recommendations that are probably undesired: My recommendation is to buy a new sound bar or buy new receiver and speakers.

The receiver is over 20 years old and has no use in 2024. Everything is HDMI and 4K. This is composite video and analog inputs.

The soundbar is a 2.1 system from 2017. Again, today everything does a passable 5+ channel Atmos full room experience (or better).

And builder-installed in-wall surround speakers are likely not very good and not positioned well.

So...I'd compare a new receiver to a new soundbar and buy what you prefer. But I would guess that a new soundbar sounds better than builder-installed speakers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to agree with Dave.

I didn't even look close enough to realize how out of date the receiver is. It's usable for basic audio only, but not anything else.

And I hate to say it, but pre-installed speakers, even by professional installers, tend to be some of the worst equipment and locations I ever see. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks