What's new

IDEAL HEIGHT FOR REAR SURROUND SPEAKERS? (1 Viewer)

punman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dwayne
IDEAL HEIGHT FOR REAR SURROUND SPEAKERS?
My viewing room is 17 x 10 feet. I have a 5.1 system with 5 matching brand speakers all around. I am trying to set up the surrounds. Due to space constraints they need to be on bookshelves three feet (1 metre) behind the single row seating area. They are positioned about eight feet apart from each other.
I understood that they need to be elevated somewhat above the listener so I tried about two feet above ear level, but then, because they are only 3 feet from the seating, the sound seems to go right over everyone.
I’m unsure whether to leave them that way and just up the volume on the surrounds somewhat, or should I lower the height to almost ear level (at the risk of being too much in-your-face as it seems). Suggestions please from those who have dealt with this issue. The speakers are about a foot high and seven inches across.

troy evans

Screenwriter
They need to be 1 meter(3 feet) above listening position and angled down ward to achieve the best results in your setup. You could try using corner placement in the rear area of the room if that would make it easier, but, they would still need to be angled down at the listening area.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can also try aiming the up toward the ceiling to get a more diffuse sound field. Going along with Troy's recommendation, one of the main ideas is to move them away from the listening position so they have space to fill the back of the room. After any moving, you need to recalibrate them to get the proper sound level.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

The above recommendation is for the Mixing Sound Engineers only - where the Sound Engineer is more concern with the accurate details of which distinct sounds effects will pan and add impact to what's viewed on the screen. For home and Cinema Theater application, it would required the widest dispersion spread as possible for the audience, hence, ... pointing the speakers towards each other as recommended below ...

Hope this helps.

Damage Inc.

Agent
Real Name
MicHaeL H.
"In any case, never point a Surround speaker directly at the listener or below their seating position."

That's strange, since most guides and graphics show the surround-speakers pointed at the viewer's position.
Including on both Dolby's and THX's websites.

But myself I have 5.1 speakers, and the rear two (surround-speakers) are in the corners.
They are at about ear-lever or a foot above, since with movies I sit quite low.
I guess I'm lucky since my receiver has a height-setting for the rear speakers.
With "Low" being for heights from ear-height to 30 degrees above.
And from 30 to 60 degrees higher than ear-level it should be set to "High".

Maybe you also have a setting like that in your receiver.
That way you might have more options for locations of your speakers.
So be sure to check the possibilities with your receiver.

My setup sounds quite fine and realistic, at least location-wise.
When something is about to pass and "come through the screen",
I find myself turning my head going like "What the heck?".
And I suddenly remember "Wait, I'm watching a movie. Pay attention!".

You could (or should) also test different setups.
I highly recommend trying the 'Daredevil'-DVD (with DTS).
It has a scene where young Matt Murdock wakes up in the hospital.
And a whole sequence of special-effects turns up which is perfect for demonstrating surround-sound.
There is also one where he and Elektra are standing on a roof in the rain.
It sounds incredible, I thought I was actually standing there.

So also especially try it out and see if it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks