What's new

Is Apple About to Make Sam Very Happy?? (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Today AppleInsider ran perhaps the most cryptic rumor post I have ever seen. The topic was a couple of new features for upcoming iMacs. Here's the "meat" (such as it is) of the discussion:

One of those features is said to have long been on the wish-lists of many Mac users while the other is expected to cater to the semi-professional audio/video crowd.
They strongly hint that the 1st new feature is a Blu-Ray drive. Let the bananas dance with joy:

As a semi-professional audio guy, I am most interested in the 2nd feature, but I can't imagine what it would be. An HDMI port is the only thing I can come up with, although that's much more in the video realm. Speculation??

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam Posten?
Unless you speak with him outside of HTF we may never know if this makes him happy.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping the rumor about a tablet will mean a device that can be used at home as an iTunes server plugged into one's home stereo. That would be nice. Like a giant iPod but with an HDMI out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hi guys, its true I've cut ties here. I'll still be reading now and again but I'm no longer a reviewer. Thanks for the heads up on potential blu ray, its been a killer week or two since getting home from my vacation, my cat got cancer, I quit here, and I told my night job to go pound sand too, so I havent followed tech stuff as closely as I usually like. Thats how life works tho, stuff happens when you arent looking, and you can miss it! Guess John Hughes died in that time too, so Ferris' quote is all the more apt.

Be good out there, if you need me you know where to find me.

Sam

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Best wishes Sam. I too thought of you when I saw that post.

I'm primed to get a Mac Pro to run Logic Studio, but I also realized I'd have to get a new monitor as well. It runs okay on my 3 year old Macbook Pro but I wish I had a larger screen so I wouldn't have to be squinting all the time. Or I could wait and hope the new iMacs get the mobile Nehalem treatment (including a four-core CPU option) and get the monitor and new Mac computer in one fell swoop.

I'll wait till the rumored Keynote in September to see if they announce any new hardware. Otherwise I might just spring for the 2.66GHz Mac Pro (one four-core CPU) stock, and then bump it up to 8 GBs RAM aftermarket.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Carlo,

I can tell you right now that there will be no computer-related news at the September event. These last three or four years they have always been about iTunes and iPods/AppleTV, nothing else.

Of course, there may be different announcements this year still, but the event everybody talks about right now on Sep. 7/8 is the music-centric one.

-Christian

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I know historically this isn't a hardware update type of keynote, but I'm holding out just in case of any last minute announcements due to the fact that Snow Leopard is coming out. They may decide to spring a surprise (i.e. "new hardware to run your new software!") because of Snow Leopard's timing. Also, the iMac is on its second half of "average time between updates" life according to Mac Rumors' Buyer's Guide. Would still be a little early for a refresh, but you never know.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I will eat my hat if the Mac Mini / Apple TV / BluRay merger doesnt happen this go around. If I predict it often enough SOME DAY it will be true =p

I'm actually CHEERING the rumors of no tablets cause it makes it that more likely! =p

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Marco puts into words why we DO NOT WANT Sam to be happy:
http://www.marco.org/166179593

The bottom line, and I have said this since I was at least 22: I am an engineer. We are TERRIBLE at designing things "people" want. We are great at designing things engineers want. Engineers are not people. QED.

Bottom line #2: The world needs more Steves.

Botton line #3: More engineers need to appreciate the genius of the Steve(s).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Loots of juicy bits popping up saying the same thing, launching October 13th:
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/874006561041

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/02/fcc_filings_confirm_apples_new_bluetooth_mouse_keyboard.html

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1275768

If this is true, I hope the lappys get updated too. I will sell a 20" iMac, my 13" macbook my Mom never used, and my 15" MacBookPro if this is really true...

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/rumor-apple-to-ship-multitouch-mice-with-new-imacs-soon/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't think he's saying that. He's asking if Gruber is about to be Grubered and doesnt commit to an answer, which means he doesnt know.

Interesting these don't mention BluRay tho, which is a bad sign:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/03/apple_ads_hint_at_thinner_imacs_lighter_macbooks_cheaper_mac_minis.html

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ya know, the first thing I thought when I read Gruber's post backing off on Blu-Ray was that he was reacting to Fake Steve's taunting. I mean, he does know it's Fake Steve, right??

Fake Steve can rag him all he wants, but my impression is that Gruber's APR (Apple Prediction Record) is better than most, especially over the past year or so. Yeah, he missed on the camera in the Touch - but so did everyone else. Anyway, it's pretty clear now it was pulled at the last minute.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new iMacs. I have one of the original Intel iMacs and it's getting a little creaky, especially because it's capped at 2 GB RAM. I'm ready for an upgrade. Hoping for an upper-end quad-core model - that would have me pulling out the plastic on launch day.

So it looks like we're going to get the following, perhaps as early as Tuesday:

New iMacs: probably a minor redesign. Probably will add an SD slot. Hopefully a quad-core model. Lower entry price for sure - I'm betting $999 to start.

Redesigned MacBook. With the 13" MBP in the lineup, Apple can aim this one solely at the entry-level consumer. That means add an SD slot and pull the Firewire. Perhaps they'll get it down to $899 to start. Should be a huge holiday seller.

Mac Mini: They've got to get the entry level price under $500. I also hope to see an SSD option. The 4200-RPM drive in the Mini is its Achilles heel. An SSD should really boost performance. All you need is 64GB - you're going to put your data on an external drive anyway.

New Mouse & Keyboard: They're saying the new mouse will have a touch surface, presumably replacing the little rolling nubbin on the Mighty Mouse. If done right, that could be revolutionary. A mouse with no moving parts to get gunked up. I'll take several, please. Not sure what they'd be doing on the keyboard. I'd love a BT version of their full-size KB (w/ numeric pad), but that doesn't seem to be happening.

And despite what Gruber says, I'm still hoping for CTO Blu-Ray everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks