What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (2 Viewers)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
So here's something completely different. Is any HTF thread longer than this one? It's been a long time

I’m sure there are, but I have to admit when I began this thread so long ago I would’ve never expected it to carry-on like it has.

So if we are keeping track for 2024 what if we got so far this year?

Already released:
The Abbott and Costello Show S2
Colt .45 Complete Series

Upcoming:
Angel (TBD)

Anything else I’m forgetting at present? I’m not yet counting the unnamed shows that David, from Classicflix, said they are working on. When we get more specific announcements, we can add them.

Gary “one question I have is will MPI release another b&w series now that they’ve finished with Ozzie & Harriet?” O.

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I’m sure there are, but I have to admit when I began this thread so long ago I would’ve never expected it to carry-on like it has.

Already released:
Colt .45 Complete Series

Upcoming:
Angel (TBD)

Anything else I’m forgetting at present? I’m not yet counting the unnamed shows that David, from Classicflix, said they are working on. When we get more specific announcements, we can add them.

Gary “one question I have is will MPI release another b&w series now that they’ve finished with Ozzie & Harriet?” O.
May I suggest Tallahassee 7000 starring Walter Matthau, before he became very famous on the silver screen. Filmed entirely in Florida, only 26 episodes by Lenwil productions/Screen Gems, so it appears to be Sony on this one. I have a crappy looking dozen episodes in a gray market DVD set of a dozen episodes, tapings from cable in the 1980s.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
May I suggest Tallahassee 7000 starring Walter Matthau, before he became very famous on the silver screen. Filmed entirely in Florida, only 26 episodes by Lenwil productions/Screen Gems, so it appears to be Sony on this one. I have a crappy looking dozen episodes in a gray market DVD set of a dozen episodes, tapings from cable in the 1980s.

While Matthau isn't my favorite actor, I'd love to see the location work. ;)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Are you joking with me, or has that been announced?
My source. "Sim Salabim"
icon_e_secret.gif

Carnac The Magnificent.jpg

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Already released:
Colt .45 Complete Series

Upcoming:
Angel (TBD)

I’ve been thinking the same thing. If you recall, there are a couple of episodes of Love That Bob on the Dobie Gillis Shout Factory box set and it stated they were from an upcoming MPI set The Complete Love That Bob . Somehow that release never materialized. Maybe MPI could reconsider that series!

Last edited:

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

If this is true, it’s great news coming on the heels of Colt 45, and MAY signal the change in direction at WBA we’ve all been hoping for.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Lots of good black and white classic TV that hasn't yet been released on DVD/physical media, some longer running 1950's sitcoms come to mind, but at this point I'll gladly welcome anything that's on my want list.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Lots of good black and white classic TV that hasn't yet been released on DVD/physical media, some longer running 1950's sitcoms come to mind, but at this point I'll gladly welcome anything that's on my want list.
Yep, that goes for all of us!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
If this is true, it’s great news coming on the heels of Colt 45, and MAY signal the change in direction at WBA we’ve all been hoping for.

I’m pretty sure Neal is just funnin’ with us.

Gary “but I’d love for it to be true” O.
Actually, it might very well be true, perhaps only a rumor now. On BluRay.com in one of their forum discussion threads many months ago, a poster claimed he heard George Feltenstein on his blog talking about the WarnerArchive working on another BluRay release of a classic tv series that ran only one season. The Alaskans seems to fit that criteria.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Actually, it might very well be true, perhaps only a rumor now. On BluRay.com in one of their forum discussion threads many months ago, a poster claimed he heard George Feltenstein on his blog talking about the WarnerArchive working on another BluRay release of a classic tv series that ran only one season. The Alaskans seems to fit that criteria.

You're right. If that's being worked on, it could be The Alaskans. A couple of other possibilities would include Temple Houston and Bourbon Street Beat. Or WB Presents and Conflict. There were a few WB comedies that only lasted one season. An upgrade of The Dakotas (already released on DVD) or The Gallant Men.

Gary "would prefer a show that hasn't been released yet, and The Alaskans certainly fits the bill" O. :thumbs-up-smiley:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
I don't know if The Alaskans is good or not same with Temple HoustonI have not seen them.I prefer the next blu ray release be a series with lots of episodes and something I really enjoy.Maverick and Lawman look good for dvd but is still SD.The complete Bonanza series set should have come out on blu ray.Its 2024 not 2004:)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Another possibility, although likely remote, is Jack Webb's G.E. True (1962-63).

Also, isn't The Alaskans one of those with a ton of music performed (mainly by series regular Dorothy Provine) in it? I'd think that would put the kibosh on a disc release, unless WB has somehow been quietly and methodically clearing the music for it (and others, like 77 Sunset Strip) for eventual release. Something with just an episode or two of music to clear, like Mr. Novak, would seem a lot more likely, in that regard.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Another possibility, although likely remote, is Jack Webb's G.E. True (1962-63).

Also, isn't The Alaskans one of those with a ton of music performed (mainly by series regular Dorothy Provine) in it? I'd think that would put the kibosh on a disc release, unless WB has somehow been quietly and methodically clearing the music for it (and others, like 77 Sunset Strip) for eventual release. Something with just an episode or two of music to clear, like Mr. Novak, would seem a lot more likely, in that regard.

I believe Warner is looking to target stuff never released previously.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
George Feltenstein said in a January podcast that "a very popular WB western series was being remastered" and it was one that had already been released on DVD. And it may take a year to be released on Blu-Ray.

I think "very popular" can mean only CHEYENNE or MAVERICK. Personally, I would rather see something that hasn't had a release before.

But I would be tempted to buy CHEYENNE Season 1, again, if it was the complete WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS version with the promo mini-documentaries, "Behind the Scenes", on their then current theatrical movies. The same for the other two series that rotated with CHEYENNE, on WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS, CASABLANCA (10 episodes) and KINGS ROW (7 episodes). 32 episodes total including CHEYENNE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks