What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International Just purchased 4K restoration of JEAN DE FLORETTE/ MANON OF THE SPRING (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
In Paris and I just bought the Pathe 4 K restoration of these 2 great film . Good news to report. The back of the blu ray lists Regions A B C. It also has English subtitles.
IMG_9625.jpg

Reactions: PMF
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Quintessential French cinema. I purchased the Shout blu-ray but will happily double dip for this.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The quality is breathtaking . Watching it now. The US Blu Ray looks like VHS in comparison to this amazing new 4K restoration.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I was on the fence about replacing my MGM Blu-Rays of these titles --- these comments nudged me off the fence. Order placed. Thanks.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Just out of curiosity - when in Paris, where does one purchase a blu-ray of Jean de Florette?

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I suspect it is the same source that was used for the (Region A) Shout Factory2015 Bluray release ...
Nah those are older transfers MGM did for their satellite channels.
I watched the Shout release a few weeks ago and the transfers of both films I found to be very very good indeed..........the French release is interesting in that 4k restoration is mentioned but again I say the Shout release is pretty dam good so I guess I will remain undecided ...........the exact same comments go for Rebecca recently released for a 2nd time by Criterion ..........

$_58.JPG

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
8 of us watched the new 4K transfers. Afterwards we took a look at the Shout blu rays. We all agreed...into the trash the Shout blu ray went.
The the Shout release was Jan 2015. The restoration of the 4K versions began in late 2015. The new 4Ks were just released last week in Paris.
With Rebecca, once again you're missing out. The new 4K ( I was skeptical) but it is fantastic..

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Maybe MGM will sub-license 'em out to Criterion who has a better relationship with Pathe than Shout. Either way I don't see this getting a UHD release at least stateside. The format is not catering to smaller films like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks