What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"Kid Millions (1934)", anyone? (1 Viewer)

David Grove

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched this on VHS.

Very interesting to see such a young Ethel Merman.

Also, I had never seen Eddie Cantor, before.

The Nicholas Brothers are just too fantastic for words. I had no idea tap like that existed.

The finale suddenly became Technicolor.

I noticed in an IMDB comment that Lucille Ball and "Doris Ziffel" (Green Acres) appear as mambers of "The Goldwyn Girls". I didn't know before hand, so didn't notice.

I'd be delighted to buy this on DVD.

DG

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I love Eddie Cantor's work and this is one of my favourites. Roman Scandals and The Kid from Spain are two more I'd love to see on DVD; his comedy stands up very well today IMO.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Yes to all the above and add "Palmy Days" as well, featuring a lanky Charlotte Greenwood who's a good match for Eddie. "Whoopee" is a bit creaky, but fascinating as a Broadway-to-Hollywood adaptation and "Strike Me Pink" also has Merman. We'd like an Eddie Cantor box set of all six Goldwyn films but I doubt MGM would be up to that.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Rob, I don't think I've seen any of the titles you mention, but if they are up to the standard of Cantor's other Goldwyn films, I'd go for that complete boxed set.

Actually, I think MGM should release all of the Goldwyn films they have the rights to, in lavish editions*. It's a favourite studio of mine, with many interesting films and a definite style of its own.

*They won't though.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Sony, I assume, now owns the Goldwyn rights. In the last days of VHS when HBO owned the Goldwyn rights, they brought out boxsets of all of Eddie Cantor's Goldwyn movies, as well as a Danny Kaye boxset. There's a lot of Busby Berkeley in the earlier Cantors that pre-dates his Warner years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks