What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) (4 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder if this film might move up? If it is far enough along, Disney could shift it to cover some of the other strike-induced holes in their early 2024 schedule.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
F98ALIzbwAA2Q2c

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Interested to see what they do with this. I like the look of the trailer.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
"This Memorial Day."

So they came right out and confirmed it is keeping its current release date instead of moving up to cover some of Disney's other strike-related losses.

Oh well.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
"This Memorial Day."

So they came right out and confirmed it is keeping its current release date instead of moving up to cover some of Disney's other strike-related losses.

Oh well.
It could obviously still change. We’ll see.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It could obviously still change. We’ll see.
Right. But putting "Memorial Day" in the trailer twice makes clear that as of right now they're committed to keeping it where it is. If they were thinking about moving it, they could have just said "Coming Soon" or something more generic.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Kinda makes me sad for the feral humans...
To expand on this...knowing the back story of how/why human civilization collapsed and why they can't speak. It's something that was missing from the original series of films, an in-depth depiction of how apes came to dominance. So to now have a movie where the apes are in full control, and have all the back story of what it took to get there, it's much more profound than the original films, as much as I enjoy them.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That is great news. Thanks for posting, Alex. I wasn't going to be able to go around Memorial Day this year, so I'm thrilled that Disney has moved this forward to a more convenient weekend for me.

But also, from a business perspective, I don't think it would have made sense for Furiosa and Apes to open against each other. They have a large overlap in audience. While counterprogramming different types of movies against each other can work (i.e. Barbie and Oppenheimer), this is a case where the audiences are similar enough that some distance from each other is better. Now, they are both set up better to succeed.

Also, Furiosa has IMAX over Memorial Day. I suspect Disney will be able to book that now for Apes with this earlier date choice.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
KOTPOTA looks like it will be epic - the teaser trailer is fantastic. The CGI Apes look incredible. I like the fact that this is set in the same "universe" as the last three films (Rise; Dawn; and War), though takes place at a much later time/era. Note this is not set in the same universe as the original Classic POTA films.

The official KOTPOTA trailer is going to be shown during the Super Bowl. Looking forward to this as well.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Note this is not set in the same universe as the original Classic POTA films.
Neither were Rise/Dawn/War. The modern films were always a reboot. I think that decision frees them up creatively to do things that honor the original series but are not necessarily bound to it.

I agree that visually the next film looks great. But I hope that the storytelling is up to the same level, and we really don't know yet what the story is actually about. I would be really disappointed if this project reflects badly on what I think is one of the best trilogies we've had in the last several years. Fingers crossed.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
The official KOTPOTA trailer is incredible & compelling - I've seen it twice (so far). Curious as to why the main human character (Freya Allan) is more "intelligent" than the other humans & why the clothing she's wearing is different from the other "savage" humans. I.e., it appears that she may be a time-travelling astronaut.

Going along with this, it's interesting to see the other "homages" to the original 1968 film - i.e., the Apes blowing the horn to signify the beginning of the "hunt" for the humans; tracking the savage humans in the tall grasslands; the Apes w/horses walking on the beach, etc.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
it appears that she may be a time-travelling astronaut.
They did include the spaceship going up in Rise of the Planet of the Apes right before the massive virus outbreak. So I feel like they'll eventually come back around to that. But I'm not sure if they should do that in this movie or not. We'll see.

Character posters from social media:

427618233_785956386901708_4388940302187104444_n.jpg

428226268_785956410235039_6320283763392856566_n.jpg

428240420_785956396901707_821172950380235262_n.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.