What's new
World Wide Stereo

Klipsch or SVS Subwoofer to replace HSU subwoofer ? (1 Viewer)

What subwoofer should I get ?

• Klipsch SPL-150

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SVS Ultra 16

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Monolith 15 THX

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Currently I am waiting for my Klipsch RC-64 center channel speaker to arrive so it is time to research subwoofers! My home theater over the past year has gone through a big transformation! From a Marantz SR-8012 receiver to a Sony A9F OLED 4K TV and Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player to Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers used for surrounds on speaker stands. Now looking into a possible replacement of my HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer and currently I am looking at Klipsch to go with the two pair of RP-600M's and a RC-64 lll center speaker. I am also looking at SVS and Monolith. The key is to get the best subwoofer for the money without having to save forever! I am leaning towards Klipsch and SVS currently!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Are you using RP-600Ms in front too? I recently set up a pair and I absolutely love 'em!

I am actually using two pair of RP-600M's for my surround channels and am in the process of deciding if I am going to get two more pair of RP-600M's for Atmos channels or just use the RP-500SA's for Atmos. Currently I am using a Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel so the RC-64 lll center is photoshoped to show what they system looks like with the RC-64 center. My L & R are Altec Lancing A-7 speakers.

201900959aaa.jpg

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@Dave Moritz - Sorry I can't offer any advice but I'll be interested in your final choice of sub and how you feel about it after break in. I've been using SVS Prime Towers as fronts for many years but have finally decided to upgrade and have a set of Klipsch 280F [or 800F depending on current stock] arriving later today. I'll also be replacing my longstanding Axiom VP150 center with a Klipsch RP 450C. Somewhere down the line I expect to consider replacing my aging SVS PB12 Plus/2 sub with something more contemporary and will then face a similar choice.

If I were replacing my sub today I would probably veer towards another SVS model as you simply cannot beat their customer service, tech support or warranty.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If I were replacing my sub today I would probably veer towards another SVS model as you simply cannot beat their customer service, tech support or warranty.

One of the reasons I keep going back to the SVS Ultra 16 and have not crossed it off the list. Even though I can easily get dual Klipsch for less than the cost of one SVS ultra 16.

:popcorn::wave-hello:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Why on earth are you replacing a perfectly good sub? This makes zero sense. You aren't going to notice anything appreciable by switching brands. I own both SVS and Hsu and both are great.

If you are blowing $ for a better sub than the one you have, why not consider the VTF 15?
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html

In that sized room you aren't even remotely coming to the edges of what a 13" sub can produce, let alone a 15.

This whole thing seems crazy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why on earth are you replacing a perfectly good sub? This makes zero sense. You aren't going to notice anything appreciable by switching brands. I own both SVS and Hsu and both are great.

If you are blowing $ for a better sub than the one you have, why not consider the VTF 15?

In that sized room you aren't even remotely coming to the edges of what a 13" sub can produce, let alone a 15.

I don't want to sound as harsh as Sam, but I have the same questions as to why you're upgrading, considering the size of your room and where you're sitting in it. From my personal situation, I thought of upgrading my speakers and sub in my home office HT after upgrading with a OLED55C9P display and Marantz 6013 receiver for 4K and Dolby Atmos. However, I quickly realize it would be a waste of money considering the small size of my office and my sitting position. If I do anything in the future, it might be to add on two additional Atmos speakers to my current 5.1.2 setup.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

My HSU is an older model with the 15 on the side of the cabinet no like the one pictured in the link. I is a nice sub and does sound good but am looking at seeing if I can elevate to a nicer sub with a nicer finish and adjustable via smart phone. I originally got the HSU used through my neighbors boss for free so I got a nice sub even with a few cosmetic rough spots it has worked out nicely.

IMG_1667a.jpg IMG_1670a.jpg IMG_1671a.jpg

The HSU doesn't have a DSP and is not controllable via a smart phone app and while the finish on the box says black ash it is really just a black vinyl. I am also hearing Klipsch is coming out with a new sub with a DSP and can be controlled with a smart phone app. Most likely this is Klipsch take on the SVS which has a very good reputation. One of my original thoughts was just to get dual Klipsch 15" subs. Don't get me wrong I can live with the HSU.

SVS
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb16-ultra
https://www.svsound.com/pages/bill-of-rights

svs awards.jpg

svs ultra16 005a.jpg

svs perks.jpg

71boHbMuEhL._SL1200_.jpg

The Klipsch SPL-150SW is the one I was thinking of getting two of as they are only about $1,000 each instead of $2,500 each like the SVS but then again there is a discount if you get two, rofl.

SPL-150SW_Angle.jpg

Right now the Klipsch website seems to be down but I will be doing more research on that new Klipsch 15 that is supposed to be out or coming out. I guess I could aways add a second sub to the HSU but it seems to me that matching subs if I am to run dual subs would be better. At this point it is not a done deal and is still in the research department.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Gotcha. Only you can decide whether your wants, needs and aesthetics make that a good upgrade candidate. Sorry for my incredulousness, I never want to be the guy throwing cold water on fun upgrades.

I get that the marketing on DSPs makes them sound like magic fairy dust that automagically make your room sound better, the reality is if you are already using Auddessey you’ve gotten 95% of what a DSP can do for you. That’s my take anyway, I’m sure a ton of sub experts will tell me how wrong I am as usual. My existing 13” sub has been with me since day 1 of DVD and I don’t see any reason to upgrade it. I suspect it will last 50 years. I bought a 15” for the basement theater because it’s a huge open room. Even still it sits less than halfway on volume. I bet a 14 could have worked if I wanted it to, but I wanted a big ass honking sub and the price was right :)

Anyway, if a new sub will make you happy, go for it

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I get that the marketing on DSPs makes them sound like magic fairy dust that automagically make your room sound better, the reality is if you are already using Auddessey you’ve gotten 95% of what a DSP can do for you. That’s my take anyway, I’m sure a ton of sub experts will tell me how wrong I am as usual. My existing 13” sub has been with me since day 1 of DVD and I don’t see any reason to upgrade it.

Thanks for the info, Sam. I've been wondering about the newer subs with built in DSP.

Most likely this is Klipsch take on the SVS which has a very good reputation. One of my original thoughts was just to get dual Klipsch 15" subs. Don't get me wrong I can live with the HSU.

I have a very old SVS PB12 Plus/2. It's still going strong but is a bit large by today's standards and has started to spew out a bit of insulation from its rear ports at higher volumes. I called SVS and asked if it was finally time for me to replace the sub. They told me the sub was still perfectly viable and then talked me through removing the amp and installing new insulation.

I just took delivery of two Klipsch RP280F towers and an RP450C Center speaker. It's only been a couple of days but so far I'm impressed. That said, if I do decide to upgrade my sub at some point I'll almost certainly go with SVS as their customer service is just phenomenal.

upload_2019-7-31_9-21-7.png

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Like I said, I love my SVS. They aren't the company they started as and that's OK! But don't sleep on Hsu either, their stuff is top notch, at least the VTF-15 is =)

I totally get the upgrade bug. I am the living embodiment of it. Heck I replace my iPads every year or two. But because of that and my many hobbies i find that prioritizing for the biggest upgrades makes for the most satisfying purchases.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, they are very good at marketing, technology and aesthetics. It's all very cool. I have reviewed their smaller DSP controlled sub btw.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...-and-sb-3000-combined-hardware-review.360690/

The app allows you to adjust crossover frequencies, a three-band parametric EQ, polarity, room gain, etc. It's neat but it's not life changing. And once you set it you'll likely not ever change anything other than volume.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a very old SVS PB12 Plus/2. It's still going strong but is a bit large by today's standards and has started to spew out a bit of insulation from its rear ports at higher volumes. I called SVS and asked if it was finally time for me to replace the sub. They told me the sub was still perfectly viable and then talked me through removing the amp and installing new insulation.
Wow. I guess you've been more abusive to your PB12 Plus/2 than I have. Don't sell that sub short. It's better than it should have been. Its capabilities are excellent, though it can lose control a little when pushed to extremes. And, as far as size, it's really not larger than comparable models today. It's just that dual driver, ported subs aren't very common anymore.

BTW, that photo you posted makes me chuckle. It looks like it's been shared and re-compressed a bunch of times, to where it's barely a viable photo anymore. Anyway, that photo is one I did for SVS way back when, and that is the very same sub that's sitting in my basement HT to this day.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Wow. I guess you've been more abusive to your PB12 Plus/2 than I have. Don't sell that sub short. It's better than it should have been. Its capabilities are excellent, though it can lose control a little when pushed to extremes. And, as far as size, it's really not larger than comparable models today. It's just that dual driver, ported subs aren't very common anymore.

Guilty as charged. I do crank up the beats sometimes. Good point about the dual drivers. Honestly, I still love my sub but do occasionally get excited when I see newer models with [seemingly] cool features such as built-in DSP and remote control of said DSP.

BTW, that photo you posted makes me chuckle. It looks like it's been shared and re-compressed a bunch of times, to where it's barely a viable photo anymore.

LOL - Yea, I should have spent a little more time and found a pic of my actual sub.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'm rocking the same sub as the two John's. Lol Still love it. Was thinking of upgrading, but I'm still happy. I think the next thing I'll add is a miniDSP and mic so I can use REW. Lots to learn with that one though.

If I bought a sub I would place SVS near the top but I've also been looking at JTR speakers. The 4000ULF looks like a beast that would destroy the house.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If/when I update my sub, I just have to give PowerSound Audio a shot, since their subs are designed by the same guy (Tom V) who designed the one I've been using for almost 20 years.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Since I want to make sure I get the right subwoofer there is no rush to replace what I have. If I go through with replacing the HSU sub then it will be next year! The only things I am planning for the rest of this year is buying some 4K blu-ray movies, power amplifier and Christmas funds for gifts. Hard to believe that the year is 2/3 over already, where did 2019 go? Also hard to believe how much of a transformation my home theater has made over the past 1 year!

IMG_0361b.jpg

IMG_0505a.jpg

TO

IMG_2913a.jpg

IMG_2519a.jpg

20190414_112509a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks