What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kubrick’s “2001”, curated by Christopher Nolan (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jean-Pierre Gutzeit
Unfortunately, there are also serious differences in the movie projection from cinema to cinema. Not so serious I think for a short time on passing tears and dirt particles in an older movie which may irritate in today's digital world a bit, but in my opinion, far from destroying the work. In fact, the best and most authentic rendering option of a movie would be possible at original film, as Christopher Nolan rightly notes. In these goals he would be worth supporting. Unfortunately, neither him nor the current employees of the last remaining Laboratory owm this maximum craftsmanship, nor the curator.
In fact, the most serious incision is the dullness of the colors, especially the red in the armchairs in the hotel suite, and the red in the computer's brain chamber gives way to a berry red or a matte brown. The blue is not sufficiently saturated and the skin tones appear mostly ashen and deathly pale. In most cases, the detailled musters in the spaceships disappear in the bright areas, and even details in the shadows are consumed. Thd new 70mm print is definitely much coarser than the premiere prints.
I consider the 70mm technique to be the most superior and sophisticated of all film methods.
Sadly, it is advised hands of the wrong persones, though this movie is still a great masterpiece.
Against this recently with Jaws and Spartacus an offer of outstanding restoration.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Today endured a twenty mile traffic jam on 95 and a connect the dots trail through the DC Metro, which apparently is under repair, in order to trek up to Silver Spring to see 2001 in 70mm at AFI in Silver Spring (in all about 200 miles of travel). I had read the various posts indicating that these new prints were not going to be pristine But even given that I was disappointed at how dark the image was... in the Dawn of Man sequence the apes faces barely register and when the leopard feasts on the zebra, neither spots nor stripes are visible. Lots of detail was lost and the color was a bit faded. The sound was pretty good, though there was no surround activity... in previous showings I do remember some during the first sequence and in the space station. It still fun to see on a big screen with a full audience. But having seen this movie many times in 70mm over the past five decades, I had expected something better. I hope the rumored new 4K digital projection version will be an improvement.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
This is one of the last chances I’ll have to see anything on film again ever, and it didn’t come to my neck of the woods. I’m really heartbroken.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
When I posted about this screening on FB, I got a comment which said that since going digital, AFI Silver does not have a projectionist. And when they do screen 35mm and 70mm, they do not get a new bulb for the projector, so some of what I was experiencing was due to lack of light onscreen. So it was truly disappointing. Not sure I will bother to journey up that way again.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Stanley Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ Landing In Imax This August
by Anthony D'Alessandro
  • As part of the the 50th anniversary of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, Warner Bros. is releasing the pic in 350 Imax theaters for one week on Aug. 24. The announcement was made today by Jeff Goldstein, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures today. The release is being touted as the first time the landmark sci-fi film is being seen on the largest screen possible.

The Imax run follows an “unrestored” 70mm film release of 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was overseen by Dark Knight filmmaker and Kubrick fan Christopher Nolan.

Four select Imax theaters will show the 70MM print of the film: AMC Universal Citywalk IMAX, Universal City, AMC Lincoln Square IMAX, New York City, AMC Metreon IMAX, San Francisco, and Ontario Place Cinesphere IMAX, Toronto. The Imax 70MM ‘unrestored’ print was created via a true photochemical film recreation struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative with no digital tricks, remastered effects, or revisionist edits. Additional Imax venues will be showing a brand new 4K restoration of the sci-fi film in Imax with Laser and Imax Xenon projection formats. Tickets go on sale this Friday. 2001: A Space Odyssey was first released in April 4, 1968.

Through eight weeks, the recent 50th anniversary release of 2001: A Space Odyssey has blasted to $1.2M. Overall lifetime cume for the movie stands at $58.6M.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hopefully my local IMAX is one that is getting the actually restored version.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The release indicates that only the four theaters listed will be showing the 70mm print, so you'll be getting the 4K restoration at your IMAX, as will I. So stoked to see this!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It's a shame that they'll be showing the unrestored 70mm print at Lincoln Square (whose flaws should be severely magnified on that IMAX screen, the largest screen in the country) when they have a state-of-the-art new laser projection system that would be ideal to show off the new 4K restoration. It's their flagship location. I'll hopefully be able to see it at one of the other IMAX digital locations in the city, but those are using the older 2K IMAX system.

Amazing how they keep bungling this.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It already played in Toronto in 70mm, though not in IMAX. Weird that they would bring back the same print.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Indianapolis has been added to the list (of now 5 cities) getting the IMAX 70mm version, but we won't be getting it until 9/7.

It's also playing here at an AMC IMAX (presumably the 4K restoration) starting 8/23. They don't have the laser projection, so I'm assuming it will be 2K.

I think I'm going to roll the dice and see the 70mm version, despite the reported flaws. The projectionists at the Indiana State Museum are top-notch and will certainly present it properly. I realize the problems are baked into the print, but I'm hoping I'll have an experience closer to what Josh experienced in Boston.

For those interested in seeing it in IMAX 2K, check the showtimes on the AMC website for your local IMAX theater on 8/23.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm tempted to try to see it in IMAX 70mm and then hop across town to see it in IMAX 2K Digital the same night, just to be able to give a better comparison. On one hand, I think it would be a lot of fun, but on the other hand, I know I'd be watching the print and not the film. So we'll see. Probably too ambitious!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My only option will be a 2K IMAX screening, but of course I'll be there for it. I've never seen 2001 in a theater and simply cannot pass up the opportunity,

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw the trailer for the IMAX release before seeing The Meg today. It looked great in my 2K Xenon IMAX theater. For those wondering it is a completely different trailer than for the "Unrestored" release.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just looked for seats for the Aug 23rd 7pm showing at the Mall of GA Imax, and literally only 1 ticket has been sold for that showing. One person, chose a seat smack dab in the middle of all those seats. :D :D :D

I thought about buying the seat right next to that person...

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I am definitely going to see it at the Mall of GA IMAX, regardless of what version it is. I am surprised the engagement is for an entire week, from the 23rd through the 30th.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I am definitely going to see it at the Mall of GA IMAX, regardless of what version it is. I am surprised the engagement is for an entire week, from the 23rd through the 30th.

I find the seats in the Mall of GA IMAX theater to be awfully narrow, so I'll probably hit the Northpoint AMC IMAX.

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
It already played in Toronto in 70mm, though not in IMAX. Weird that they would bring back the same print.

Well, technically it's not the same print, it's just the same "unrestoration." Lightbox played the 70mm (five perforations tall) version of the "unrestored" version two months ago, while the IMAX 70mm "unrestored" version playing this weekend at the Cinesphere would be 15 perforations wide. The scratches should look amazing!

So would this be the first photochemical 5-perf to 15-perf blowup ever? IMAX blowup releases usually go through their DMR (Digitally Mastered Release) process, going back to the Super35 "Apollo 13" in 2002. Dunkirk reportedly had a number of 5-perf shots that were photochemically blown up for the IMAX 70mm release. But I think 2001 is the first all 5-perf movie to be blown up to 15-perf.

I wish Cinesphere would show the 4k restoration as well in Laser IMAX. Looking forward to hearing the comparisons from cities playing both!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks