What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Leave it to Beaver: The Complete Series (1957-1963) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve never owned Leave It to Beaver on any home video format. So I had to dig a bit in this thread a bit and I see what the issue is. The Universal DVD sets has the pre-title teasers placed correctly before the opening titles and the Shout DVD sets has the teaser shown after the opening titles. The blu ray sets also have the teasers after the titles. This is only in the first and second seasons? However, the content is correct for each of the episodes? I guess I can live with that with the knowledge of what is right. I can certainly understand the proper order of the teaser should be before the titles.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My copy arrived today and has some outer box damage which had to have been done *before* shipping as it arrived in a box and the damage couldn't have been done during shipping. It's completely torn down a top edge with a rip on the other side - both of which are *inside* the shrink wrap, which is intact other than being partially ripped open on top in a manner that has the appearance of never being properly sealed as it can't be pulled together at all and the seams are clean. It looks like the damage was done by the shrink wrap machine at the factory. No rattling in any of the boxes so I'm guessing they're all OK. Don't know if it's worth doing a return to fix - assuming a replacement would arrive unscathed. I think I'll just open it and use some glue and binding tape to fix the damage.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I can't say with 100 percent certainty, but on the season 3 DVD from Shout Factory, I think the episode School Sweater might have a small edit. If there's indeed an edit, it would be in the opening scene of the episode when Wally comes home and speaks to Ward and June for a few moments. I saw this episode in syndication years ago and seem to remember during that opening scene, Wally mentioning to Ward and June that he and Beaver were going out the next day to try and dig up the gopher that's in the yard, but on the DVD that part of the conversation is missing. Then at around the mid point of the episode a new scene begins, Wally walks into the kitchen and says to Ward and June: "Where's the shovel? Beaver and I are going to try and dig up that gopher". Wally saying the word "that" would seem to indicate the gopher was discussed earlier in the episode during the opening scene.

It sounds like the Blu-rays have the same prints of the episodes that were used for the Shout Factory DVD's, so I assume that the School Sweater episode is no different on the Blu-ray.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'm enjoying season 1! The image might be a little grainy, but lowering the sharpening compensates. I think it looks a little better than what's streaming on Peacock!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I'm enjoying season 1! The image might be a little grainy, but lowering the sharpening compensates.
John if you look closely at the flashback sequences in the final episode of the series, S06E39 Family Scrapbook (June 20, 1963), specifically those from Season One or Season Two, you'll see the same overly sharpened appearance meaning they were filmed that way, as some here have written.
I think it looks a little better than what's streaming on Peacock!
Those aren't HD at all. Well, they weren't when first added there.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
With a 20% off coupon I am currently seeing the price is as follows plus tax.

Order Summary​

Subtotal (1 item):$74.49
Shipping & handling:$0.00
Your Coupon Savings:-$14.90

Total before tax:$59.59

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
With a 20% off coupon the price is now $59.59 plus tax. So $10 a season.
Leave it to Beaver: The Complete Series [Blu-Ray]

Leave it to Beaver: The Complete Series [Blu-Ray]
by Various Contributors
$74.49 $59.59 & FREE Returns

Sold by:Amazon.com Services, Inc
$14.90 discount applied

new_add_gift_options_icon.png
Add gift options

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With a 20% off coupon I am currently seeing the price is as follows plus tax.

Order Summary​

Subtotal (1 item):$74.49
Shipping & handling:$0.00
Your Coupon Savings:-$14.90

Total before tax:$59.59
That's a great price and beats my purchase price by $5.00.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, i’ve had the Leave It to Beaver blu ray set now since December. I finally had a chance to open it and I ripped the first disc so I can view the episodes via Plex. I’ve watched Beaver Gets Spelled and Captain Jack.

As I’ve never seen this series on any home video format, I think the blu ray looks great! I think some felt the DVD’s were of very high quality and the blu ray is a modest improvement. To me, the blu rays looks great! Like the recent Gomer Pyle release.

Beaver Gets Spelled looks very nice. Captain Jack looks a bit dark, maybe that’s the best source they got. I look forward to seeing more. I have not seen any Leave It to Beaver episodes for maybe 15 or 20 years? These two episodes really ends with a warmth and heart tug that they just don’t do anymore. I watched the series in my youth during the syndicated runs, but I guess as one gets older, the sentimentality works more.

Leave It to Beaver does air on MeTV so I caught a few episodes a few weeks ago. That got me to finally watch the blu rays. The episode I caught was Wally’s Job if I recall the title correctly. That was a good one, good ending. The prints on MeTV also look quite good, but I assume the blu rays and DVDs should be better.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I ripped a few more episodes of Leave It To Beaver today, the first 24 from season one. I have never seen these pre-title previews before ever. It’s pretty cool that Hugh Beaumont does a voice-over intro for tonight’s story.

And I see there are some inconsistencies where two episodes, the intros actually precede the titles rather then the other way. anyway, I look forward to watching more episodes.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Was the voiceover unpopular?
I have no idea. I never seen these previews before or knew there was a voice-over. All I can think of is the producers decided it wasn’t needed , or the previews that survive, not all have the voiceover track. I’ve only seen 4 or 5 episodes so far. Maybe I’ll see another one with the voice-over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks