What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Logan Blu-ray problem (1 Viewer)

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I ordered Logan through Amazon. I put the Blu in my all region player and it said this won't play in Region C this will only play in Region A. I returned it
and got a second copy and got the same error message and it wouldn't play. Any thoughts??

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have an all-region player, but with my player, I have to set the region manually for the region I want to play. Perhaps your machine is set specifically to Region C and needs to be set to A. Logan is an A release.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I bought mine from 220 Electronics and it plays all regions, which is how it is set. I have several region B and they all play well. I've got over 1770 movies and this is the only one that doesn't play. I might just get the 4K, get a new 4K with HDR and go from there.
Thanks

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That might be the confusion.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a single BD player in existence that can be all region without some kind of manual switching done by the user. The way the machines are built and modified, it's the only way this is possible.

It's possibly likely that those Zone B titles you have are actually all region; there are plenty of titles released in that area that don't actually have the region coding on the disc, despite what the packaging says. Many Zone A titles are also don't have the coding on the disc. My guess is that your player is set to Zone C without you realizing it, and because many discs don't actually have coding, there wasn't reason for you to notice until now.

I would recommend checking the documentation that came with your player from 220 for instructions on how to switch regions; if you no longer have that, 220 can probably resend it to you if you email them.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I have never had to switch anything manually and I also have several Blu-rays and DVDs that I bought from Amazon UK that are strictly Region B only and they play fine

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I just looked at the back of some of my DVDs and Blu-rays and one said Region B and 2 others said Region 4 and Region 2.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
OK. Both Matt and I offered our suggestions based on years of experience. I noted specifically that many discs which say "Zone B" on the back aren't actually coded on the disc, even if the packaging says so. DVD region coding is separate from BD region coding; it's generally possible to be all region for DVD without any switching, but the same isn't really true for BD, so that you don't need to switch for DVD doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not you need to switch for BD. Matt and I could be completely wrong, but since you bought it from 220, and since 220 offers lifetime coverage on purchases, specifically a lifetime guarantee that a machine will stay region free, even if you're 110% sure that we're in the wrong, why not reach out to 220 anyhow?

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Believe me I wasn't trying to pooh-pooh anyone's advice, I respect everyone on this forum and I love Matt's reviews. Right before I read your reply, I said to myself, I should call 220 on Monday. I really appreciate your responses!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No worries and no harm done! Sometimes things come across differently than intended, it's just the nature of communicating online instead of face to face. Please let us know how it works out :)

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Thanks! I've read this forum for years and I rarely post. After you responded it was like, wow what happened and I'm the nicest person around! Thanks!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I want to commend both of you on how you two conducted yourself on this thread. It was refreshing and nice that it didn't devolve into a personal attack or name-calling.
I have to say when I first read the thread, I took what Mark wrote the way I assume Josh did, which was negative towards the responses. I then went back and read this thread again, but from the viewpoint that Mark wrote from post 8 on, and I can see how I read more into his short sentences than what he had intended. It really shows you that we need to be careful how we react when reading posts.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The reason why Blu-ray regions have to be manually switched and DVD regions don't is because the DVD spec allows for region "0" whereas the Blu-ray spec does not have an all-region setting.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I called 220 Electronics and everyone was exactly correct, I just never had this problem with ANY Blu-rays before! I will try to find the original remote (hope I have it!) because all I use right now is a Universal remote. Wish me luck!

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
It works and all I had to press is one yellow button! I don't know why in my hundreds of Blu-rays that only this one had an issue! Thanks home theater friends for all of your advice and help!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm glad it worked out, in the easiest and cheapest way possible :)

I have a good number of imported Blu-rays, most of which say "Zone B" on the case, but very few of them which actually are. I sometimes am surprised myself when I see that "wrong region" message appear onscreen because it's been so long since I've last done it, that I've almost forgotten the disc in question required the switch.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
By the way, I was at Best Buy today returning something and I bought the Logan 4K/Blu ray option because I had returned the other 2. I had them price match Amazon and I got it for $19.99 which is the same price as the individual Blu-ray. I bought a 4k TV a couple of years ago and against my sons advice to wait, I am an early adopter. Turns out it doesn't have HDR so in time I will have a new TV. I have a boat load of 3d movies and am very disappointed that the new TVs won't play them, but I will keep the TV I have now and keep it in the garage until my son and friends of mine want to watch a 3D movie. What a hassle!!

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
One other thing, does anyone know of a 4K player that accepts Dolby Vision if it is needed and at a price that can be afforded??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks