What's new

Looking for 120" screen recommendations (1 Viewer)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone!

Our new house has a large bonus room approximately 20'x27' over the garage. I'm going to turn it into a dedicated home theater room with a pinball machine in the back. I am thinking about getting a motorized screen that will come down in front of some windows on the 20' wall. We are in the process of installing shades that should block all or very close to all of the light in the room. Most of my movie watching is done at night, so light will not be a problem.

I am going to be upgrading to a 4k projector and need a bigger screen for the new room. I am unsure about what screen brands to be including on my short list. I'm budgeting $5k or under for the new projector, and I'd prefer to spend less than that on the screen. I think that once I narrow down on a brand, then I can think about things like gain, etc.

I am in the market for a 120' motorized screen. Retractable into the ceiling is prettier, but I'll need to see how the costs compare there too.

How is SeymourAV? Stewart Filmscreen seems more economical than Screen Innovations. There are so many options, I need help focusing on brands that offer good performance and value.

Thank you!

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
What are your viewing priorities, depending on if it is scope or TV and streaming, which aspect ratio might work better for you? 16:9 or 2.40:1? Is masking important to you?

The consensus in my research left me with the impression the Gold Standard for screen manufacturers is Stewart Filmscreen.

A little screen gain is preferred as you go to 4K and UHD content. The StudioTek 130 G4 screen material would be something that could work for you for the next few projector generations. Stewarts’ claims of 1.3 screen gain is very close to actual gain which can not be said for some manufacturers. Even with some gain you will want a completely light controlled room with dark ceilings and walls.

There are other quality manufacturer options I’m sure you could be happy with but other than a hit to your wallet, not many are ever disappointed after choosing Stewart.

I have a 125 inch fixed frame with StudioTek 130 G4 screen material and love it. I prioritize scope material in my theater and went with a 2.35.1 screen. I use manual masking panels when watching 16:9 content and they do make a significant difference but I could get by without them

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Draper, and Elite Screens are the leading brands for the best price/performance projection screen choices. Depending on the users specific use case, screen size and fabric choices we can recommend the best screen for each application.

Motorized screens are a good fit for some uses, but a fixed screen actually performs better as the fabric is held very taught so the images can maintain a sharp and properly masked images.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I really appreciate the recommendations. I will check out Stewart, Draper, and Elite Screens.

The majority of my viewing will be movies. 2.35.1 is intriguing, but 16:9 seems like a less complicated screen size - especially if I get a motorized screen.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Not sure you want motorized if in a dedicated room. Save the money and put it towards image fidelity or audio fidelity. A motorized screen does neither.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Sam, I look forward to hearing the podcast.

Gregg, If I don't go motorized, I think I have to block the two windows along the 20' wall. Should I look into a different layout?
beIONUm.jpg

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I really appreciate the recommendations. I will check out Stewart, Draper, and Elite Screens.

The majority of my viewing will be movies. 2.35.1 is intriguing, but 16:9 seems like a less complicated screen size - especially if I get a motorized screen.
Nothing complicated about a 2:35 screen. Some folks use masking for 1:85 and as clean as the picture is on the sides you can do without the masking. Side masking just makes for a more clean, professional presentation.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
i am recommending a 2.4 screen for Greg. Greg is a movie enthusiast and will be mainly using physical media.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
i was in a theater 10 days ago with a 7-8 year old Dalite JKP screen. It was melted, shiney, and generally very nasty. Ive never seen anything like it with a Stewart.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
i was in a theater 10 days ago with a 7-8 year old Dalite JKP screen. It was melted, shiney, and generally very nasty. Ive never seen anything like it with a Stewart.
That happened to mine in '17. Replaced it with a Da-Lite .09 110" HD Progressive Screen...night and day.

Last edited:

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
i am recommending a 2.4 screen for Greg. Greg is a movie enthusiast and will be mainly using physical media.
If I was to order a size today it would be 2.4:1. I've had my 2.35:1 frame for many years and was able to simply order the ST 130 G4 screen material that with my frame serial number, Stewart was able to build to exact size that snapped in to my existing frame for a perfect fit.

I think Stewart should add the 2.4:1 aspect ratio to their screen finder. Most scope movies are nearer that size and I know Stewart builds to that aspect ratio, or any ratio, anyway. I also use a Paladin DCR that is optimized for 2.4:1. 1.35: still works great though and the small size difference is not significant.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Episode is up! Guest Adrian Silva of Stewart Filmscreen.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Sam, I'm halfway through your podcast and the information has been very helpful. Gregg already sold me on a nice 2:35 screen, but now I definitely want some manual masking panels. Gregg also convinced me to just block the middle window and not bother with a motorized screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks