What's new

Looking for 65in HDTV 16:9 under 4k... (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
I plan to buy a 65 inch(at least 64in) projection hdtv in about a month. I've been really trying to find a tv with the best picture quality for what I'm paying for. I'm buying a prog. scan dvd also(not included in 4k) so hopefully that will help with the picture but I plan to watch a little regular broadcasted tv also. Picture being the most importing thing...what models would anyone recommend?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mark. Welcome to HTF!

I'm going to move this post from the basics area to the "Display Devices" area. This would be a good place for you to browse to see what others are buying.

David Ison

Stunt Coordinator
Mark
With this kind of money i would have to look at a front projector either DLP or LCD why settle for 65 inches when you can have 100inches or better for less than 4 grand.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
HI Mark, welcome to HTF, and the addiction that it infects.

For a 65" RPTV, you can buy just about anything for $4000. Look at the Toshiba, Mits, and non Elite Pioneer. I recommend all 3.

Best of luck

Gregg

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
In this price range, I would second the nomination of three brands in particular: The Toshiba, the Mitsubishi, and tne (non-Elite) series of Pioneers. (Actually, the Elite Series of Pioneers as well, but they will end up outside of this price range, I am afraid).

When I shopped, it came down to these three brands. I was looking for the best quality image in a 65" set, especially after an ISF calibration is done or after some tweaking is done.

Any of the above three brands should be considered, as you are at the "high end" of the price range for consumer-level RPTVs. They are all excellent sets.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Mark Giles

Second Unit
More about Front Projectors....
With room lighting under control, would a front lcd projector be a better purchase? I have a large living room so distance is not a issue either. I havn't really considered FPTV's until recently. I'm not to wild about a 300lb tv in my living room. One in particular I'm looking at is Sony's Cineza™ Home Entertainment Projector . Again, my biggest concern is the picture quality. What would be some advantages/disadvantages between this FP and one of the Mits., Tosh. etc RPTV's you mentioned earlier?

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
Mark, I would stay away from front projectors in the price range you are refering to. I think a good RPTV will look better in most conditions. I agree with the prior 3 brands and would add one of the new Hitachi's to the list. Don't
consider one of last years models however.

Scott

TimG

Second Unit
Personally, I think a front projector will almost always look better than a RPTV, but that is just my opinion. But you also have to worry about ambient light with a projector. I also agree with the RPTV recommendations though, they all look good.

TimG

Dorin

Auditioning
I have also been in the search for a new television and more specifically at wide-screen rptv's in the 57-65'' range. The new Hitachi's are very good if you stay in the UWX and TWX series. In an AB test they make most everything in their price range ($3500-4000) look analog in comparison. The new Toshiba HDX series is also very good. Mitsubishi's are very good when you get to the diamond series but are close to being out of your price range to compare to the Hitachi's or Tosh's. I think I like some of the format modes on the Hitachi's better but I have not had anytime playing with the new tosh hdx's... As to the comment concerning having a 300lb tv in their living room. I think a rptv is a better alternative in a multi-use space such as a living room. The costs to make the projector and screen unobtrusive in this type of room cut into the quality of the final product very quickly. In the environment of a viewing only room, I would definitely advise looking into projectors.
For what I want to pay, I am looking at the 57'' models from Hitachi's TWX and Toshiba's HDX lines. The visual difference between the 57 and 65 is not worth the money at this point in my room size. I know that I may get responses about "for the money the Tosh HX is just as good." My answer is simple. It is based on my opinion of picture quality and how much do I have to pay to get it. If you put a HDX and an HX besides each other on a variety of media signals in a comparison, than the HDX series takes the cake every time. :D

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Dorin, have you taken a look at the Sony WV 600 series? What do you think about those tv's? Im buying the wv600 65in. Heres the Sony 57in 600 Series and the Sony 57in 700 Series . The guy at my local electronic store said that the main differences between these two is the increased viewing angle and the picture quality....They had them side by side and personally I didnt notice any difference between the quality...and this was from a HD source....

Dorin

Auditioning
Mark,

I had the new tosh, sony, and Hitachi's sets in a line up at a local store. I narrowed it down to the new tosh,hitachi,sony,and mitsu in 57''. I know one of the owners of the store from high school and he let me come in with an avia disk and put these four through. The hitachi and tosh were the best and very close indeed but the tosh is about a grand cheaper.. The sony was close and definitely better than the mitsu but, (and this is always a personal preference like speakers) I liked the tosh and hitachi the best. i just got more of a 3d feeling with them. The other thing is that the tosh and hitachi dealt with non-digital cable signals a lot better. The Sony is a good product just not my preference.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I have to respectfully disagree with Scott. You can buy a great FP for around 4 grand. I recently replaced my 55" Mits 55805 with a Cinema HD13 projector ($3,700)..Naitve 16X9 LCD panels and HD capable. Projected on a used High Contrast Da-lite da-snap 106" diag ($400). screen. Total cost was $4,100.

Trade offs: Blacks are okay and and Directv (even upconverted to 790P from the Zenith 1080) is a little soft vs Mits. Uncalibrated, I have a slight green push.

Plus side: It's 106 frickin inches. HD looks just as good as Mits and I still get great looking DVD output from the MSB modified SOny (outputs 790P). I finally feel like it's a home theater. It is too cool for words....

If you can control the light and you don't mind a HUGE screen mounted on your wall (you have other options in this area)FP is the way to go. I wish I had done it 3 years ago.

Ron

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Dorin, what's the model numbers for those other non-sony models? maybe I'll go check them out here...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks