What's new
World Wide Stereo

Looking for 85" TV Sony or LG? (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
We moved recently and our new "TV room/HT" isn't really suited for a projector, so I'm looking at 85" TVs. It has to support 3D and HDR. It looks like I have only two choices, both of which have compromises:

Sony XBR-X850D (85" LCD, edge lit dimming)

LG 86UH9500 (86" LCD, edge lit dimming, Dolby Vision support)

Are there any other 85"+ TVs with HDR and 3D support (under $10k)?

Any thoughts about either of these displays or any additional ones?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did a lot of research on the LG UH9500 (the 65" model) when I was in the market last year, and I couldn't find anyone who was really satisfied with it. 3D was especially a sore spot with poor alignment, and black levels on the 65" I looked at were weak. SO, I'd bypass that choice completely on a larger model.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I did a lot of research on the LG UH9500 (the 65" model) when I was in the market last year, and I couldn't find anyone who was really satisfied with it. 3D was especially a sore spot with poor alignment, and black levels on the 65" I looked at were weak. SO, I'd bypass that choice completely on a larger model.

I think between it and the Sony its a matter of the lesser of two evils, neither has backlit local dimming which they should. The top end Sony doesn't have 3D (Grrr) I wish their OLED came in a model bigger than 77" and priced less than a small car.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think Sony's picture quality on these edge lit models has gotten far more positive reviews, but the 3D is spotty.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's why I decided the LG E 65" OLED is large enough for my setup and how far I sit from it.

Last edited:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sounds like you are setting yourself up to spend a lot of money on something you know going in isn't going to really make you happy, no matter what you choose.

Consider an amazing 77 over a mediocre 85?

If I spend the money on the 77, will be stuck with it for years. If I pay 25% of that on a mediocre but larger set, I will have leverage to upgrade in 2-3 years.

Thankfully I already have 2 65" LG OLED sets, one in the bedroom and one in the living room, so I have two sets that I am very satisfied with. Most people I think will notice the quantity over quality (a sad statement) on the bigger set. The rest of the family is also pushing for larger screen.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Well, when the dust settled, I needed to have the L/C/R speakers a bit closer together due to heating and plumbing in the ceiling bays, so an 85" wouldn't be centered under the center speaker, so I had to step down to a 75". I opted for the 75" Z9D from Sony. Its the best performing LED set. plus it has 3D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks