What's new

Looking for advice on a new TV: TCL 6 Series vs Vizio P Series or something else? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Late to this thread-

I’m thinking about upgrading my 3 year old Vizio 58” set (it doesn’t have HDR). I have $400 Best Buy gift cards to use, so obviously I’ll be shopping there. I know I want an HDR capability set, and I think I want a 65”. I only watch BluRays and satellite TV on this set (no streaming or DVDs). You guys seem to like the TCL models more than Vizio. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Jeffrey - if you haven’t already I’d suggest reading the thread from the start, that way you can see how my thought process evolved towards what I bought.

For me, the bottom line was that TCL was less expensive, slightly better reviewed, and that I got more personal recommendations from people who’s opinions I trust completely to come down on the side of TCL.

But with that said, Vizio’s high end sets have been well rated in recent years, so either way, I think you’ll wind up with something that meets your needs and looks great.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Just bought the TCL 75" Series 6 (75R615) from Best Buy for $1500. BB delivered Tuesday and have been able to get my Apple 4K TV to work through my Denon AVR-X6500 to the TCL without any problems. The Apple TV Format says: 4K Dolby Vision. And the 'Dolby Vision' logo shows in the upper right TV screen corner when the Apple 4K TV starts up. That DV logo also briefly pops up when I start streaming an iTunes movie that includes Dolby Vision. Of course, I had to stream 1953's THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (4K DV) right away. WOW!

So far (two days), I'm happy with the TCL. I do notice, on a very dark image a very, VERY slight white blooming at each of the four corners but it's not obvious. At this point, it is not a deal-killer. I don't see any banding. And if there are any 'dirty screen effects', I 'may' be seeing that only when the screen is completely dark, for example, during a fade to black transition. Again, very minimal and not really distracting. I have only picked up on these so soon from reading a bunch of reviews. Like I said before, nothing yet is anywhere near a deal-killer. Especially at this price point. Watched the first episode of OUR PLANET on Netflix. Shot in 8K, it takes your breath away.

And the DirecTV Genie looks fine on the TCL (1080i).

This is just my take-away. I mounted the TCL on a mobile stand so I can swing it out of the way when I want to use my HD projector on my fixed 120" screen. So until UHD projectors reach my price point, this looks to be a good compromise to take advantage of 4K HDR with Dolby Vision.

Last edited:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, Brandsmart had a 2-day sale on the Samsung 75Q9FN for $2498, and I caved. I was driving myself a little nuts with the research and the waiting and all.

Sorry, Vizio & TCL. You snoozed, you losed!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Well, Brandsmart had a 2-day sale on the Samsung 75Q9FN for $2498, and I caved. I was driving myself a little nuts with the research and the waiting and all.

Nice! Congratulations!

I’m being patient and saving. I’ve decided that November is the best time for me to buy. Going to keep price watching and if the TCL goes lower I will buy earlier.

I researched that the lg UHd Blu Ray player should be around $150-$160 during November.

Also the UHd titles I want should have good pricing in November.

Either way I’ll keep selling collectibles and movies I don’t watch to save for the future purchases.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Congratulations on your new purchase! Even though I started this thread as a TCL vs. Vizio conversation, I think it's pretty cool that it's turning into the general "what newfangled thing do I buy?" thread. Once you're up and running, please let us know what you think of your new set!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Will do! I would've loved to wait for Black Friday, but the plasma was starting to drive us nuts -- it's too small for the viewing distance, and the amount of sunlight in the room during the day makes it nearly unwatchable.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Shit. Probably would have gone for the TCL for the $200. Ah well.

I did look hard at the Samsung 75Q9FN and the price stared back. I blinked.

I will say that the VIzio P75 is positively blinding with 100 backlight at 50 contrast & brightness. I can't even imagine how bright the Q9 is.

I will give Vizio props for their FALD implementation. Even set to full, FALD does not result in a lot of artifacting. Bloom around white text against a black background is impressively minimal. Not that it's fair to compare 120 dimming zones to 16, but my M65 could not handle a picture situation like that without a ton of blooming and streaky artifacting. Now that I can push the backlight without the picture getting wonky, I can get much better contrast and more detail. Or maybe it's just because the screen is 33% bigger. Or both.

Probably both. If you can swing it, I highly recommend a 75" TV.

Last edited:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
July is coming and with that, time getting near for our master bedroom TV upgrade from the current Vizio 50” M-Series 4K vintage 2015 ( no HDR ) which goes to a wall mount in the den:

Did some measurements and I could easily fit a 65” which I’m really leaning toward considering our normal viewing distance (MBR is rather long sizewise, about 21 ft).
I was, and still am considering a 55” but now that I know I can fit a 65...

I’m sold on the Vizio P-Series 65” last seen at Costco for $899. Yes I’d like the Quantum 65 but might not be able to swing the $500 difference with two cruises and a college graduation trip in the coming 16 months.

By Christmas, this setup would also include my Sony X700 UHD Blu-ray player (coming from main HT setup) and a Roku 4K, probably the Premier + (A new Sony X800M2 will replace the X700 on the main HTF setup).

On a side note being a photographer, I’m hoping to upgrade my DSLR this year (to a Canon EOS 6D, Mk II) so that has to be considered. That and two cruises for the wife ( no truth to the rumor to trade her for the Panasonic 9000 UHD Blu-ray player and the LG 88” OLED).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Between the Vizio P65 and the PQ65 and the TCL 65R615, you probably can't go wrong. All three outperform their sticker price.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've been too busy making sweet, sweet lo -- er, I mean *enjoying* that 75Q9FN to be posting much lately. I played around with the settings a bit and managed to get a really gorgeous picture. Between it and my new Klipsch RP-600M fronts, BDs are a whole new level of awesome.

Dsolo5298

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek
So posting very late to the thread. I have been doing research for the P75-F1 v the TCL 75R617 and it is hard for me to find people comparing these two models. A lot of what I read is people comparing the "smaller" 55 and 65 inch TCLs. i know that the 75inch 6 series TCL has more local dimming zones (160) than the two smaller sizes and a better refresh rate. The Vizio and the TCL are the exact same price so that is not an area of contention. I was hoping anyone could give me their recommendation between the two of these models as I am no expert. This is for a TV that will be the main focal point in my family room and kitchen area and will have a decent amount of natural light. I know both are great TVs and I can't go wrong, but would like to make the best choice possible. Thanks in advance for your help!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Late to posting..

So. I ended up purchasing a gently used LG OLED Lg65b7 65 inch tv. I also am getting a used LG UBK90 tv as well. Both items for $800 total.

I’m pleased and relieved as well.
I’ll pick the tv and player up on vacation in the Midwest in July.

I also sold my old Panasonic 54 “ tv locally for $230.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
So posting very late to the thread. I have been doing research for the P75-F1 v the TCL 75R617 and it is hard for me to find people comparing these two models. A lot of what I read is people comparing the "smaller" 55 and 65 inch TCLs. i know that the 75inch 6 series TCL has more local dimming zones (160) than the two smaller sizes and a better refresh rate. The Vizio and the TCL are the exact same price so that is not an area of contention. I was hoping anyone could give me their recommendation between the two of these models as I am no expert. This is for a TV that will be the main focal point in my family room and kitchen area and will have a decent amount of natural light. I know both are great TVs and I can't go wrong, but would like to make the best choice possible. Thanks in advance for your help!

I keep reading that the Roku interface of the TCL is much better than the Vizio's. I'm leaning toward the TCL 75", but I'd like to buy my next TV from Costco, and they don't sell it. Nor does Sam's Club.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks