What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Looney Tunes BD Platinum 1-3 compared to DVD Golden Collection 1-6? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
In all this time of being a rather devoted Blu-ray collector, I realized that I don't own any of the Looney Tunes cartoons on Blu-ray.

I was rather pleased to find that the Platinum collections #1-3 on Blu-ray were available on Amazon and Best buy between $17-$20 each. So, I just ordered the three Platinum collections.

My question is, does the Blu-ray Platinum Collections replicate the DVD Golden Collections?

In other words, is every short that are on the Golden Collections available on the Platinum?

If there is anything missing from the Platinum Collections, is it anything major?

I also see that Warner has a MOUSE CHRONICLES which I will also be picking up within the next week or two.

I am not into Tom and Jerry, so there didn't seem to be anything else that I thought I should investigate while doing an Amazon search for Warner cartoons.

In advance, thanks for the help.

Reactions: PMF
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
In all this time of being a rather devoted Blu-ray collector, I realized that I don't own any of the Looney Tunes cartoons on Blu-ray.

I was rather pleased to find that the Platinum collections #1-3 on Blu-ray were available on Amazon and Best buy between $17-$20 each. So, I just ordered the three Platinum collections.

My question is, does the Blu-ray Platinum Collections replicate the DVD Golden Collections? Not exactly think of it more as a continuation some yes, but its not a direct carry over

In other words, is every short that are on the Golden Collections available on the Platinum?

If there is anything missing from the Platinum Collections, is it anything major?

I also see that Warner has a MOUSE CHRONICLES which I will also be picking up within the next week or two. A wise choice,

I am not into Tom and Jerry, so there didn't seem to be anything else that I thought I should investigate while doing an Amazon search for Warner cartoons.
maybe not but the very first golden collection, is one of my favorite sets, but then i do love Tom and Jerry, its a solid set!

In advance, thanks for the help.

sometimes you just need these to remind you how damn funny cartoons used to be

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have read multiple reviews on many sites. You do realize that we reviewed them on this site as well.

Nobody, as far as I can see, has compared the Golden to the Platinum collection. In fact, Rick's answer above is the best I could find.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have read multiple reviews on many sites. You do realize that we reviewed them on this site as well.

Nobody, as far as I can see, has compared the Golden to the Platinum collection. In fact, Rick's answer above is the best I could find.

Sorry, Ron -- that was a flubbed post. I was going to say that a large number of cartoons scattered among the 6 DVD sets never did show up on the Platinum sets. The good news is that a small bunch on the Platinums are new to disc (among them one of my favorites, BUCCANEER BUNNY). I suspect that many of the omissions on Blu-ray have to do with lesser quality source materials that were able to get by on DVD.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The ones that are duplicated in the blu-ray sets are either the generally accepted "classics" or they are cartoons that were mangled by DVNR or interlacing issues on DVD. Duplication doesn't matter though because animation in HD looks much better than on DVD. Pretty much all of the extras from the DVDs are duplicated on the blu-rays. (In SD)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ron,
I'm not seeing any answers to your question yet.

The simple answer is no, not all the shorts on the six Golden Collections are on the Platinum Collections.

And there are several shorts on the PCs that aren't on the GCs (primarily finishing off a character's set - Marvin, Witch Hazel, etc.)

The GCs had 60+ per collection for a total of 360-400 shorts. The PCs have 50+ for a total of 150-175 shorts. According to my list, about 50 shorts are new to the PCs.

And the sets don't match up either. The shorts from PC 1 didn't just come from GC 1.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
If you're question is whether you should buy the sets at that price point the answer is Indubitably :)

My general assessment is that line-drawn animation does'nt upscale well but for whatever reason WB did not make the Platinums the Bluray equivalent to the Goldens so they don't quite compare in that regard ...

if it makes you feel any better you would be paying about a third of what I paid when the Platinums came out (an you know I'm cheap ;) )(but I have a Bugs Bunny shot glass do drown my sorrows in Sody Pop)

IMG_20120215_190124.jpg

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My all=time favourite Bugs cartoon, Rhapsody Rabbit, is missing from the Blu ray set ... suffering sockatash! It looks ok on the golden collection but I want the Blu!

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I think the bluray sets are essential for the superb picture quality. Some of the Golden Collections had very heavy-handed noise reduction which removed linework and other detail.

As mentioned, the selections on the blurays vary from the DVD sets, but nearly all of the most popular cartoons are on the blurays, as well as pretty good representations of the work of Bob Clampett (who is my favourite director).

The Mouse Chronicles bluray set is also essential - it includes most or all of the Sniffles cartoons in the one set (along with others) - I don't recall if they ever made it to any of the Golden Collections.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thanks for the help, guys!

What were these sets selling for when first released? At $20 or lower each, they are a steal. I had no intention of buying them until I saw the price.

It sounds as if the most essential and top favorite cartoons made it to both sets, so I am not worried about missing anything too important, though I am sad to hear that some personal favorites of HTF members are missing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm still disappointed the Wyle E. Coyote cartoon where Bugs replaced the Road Runner didn't make it to disc.

Of course, that's a smaller disappointment compared to the fact that there were only about 300 shorts released then nothing else. Even Sony got the entire Stooges output released. And there's a whole Warner Archive program to funnel these suckers through.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as Ron. Starting to pick up Looney Tunes on Blu, because why not? And the price has come down to just right.

Now, as for his price question, doing a little research elsewhere on V1 led me to this...

DATE: November 15, 2011
SRP: $59.99 (Digibook), $79.99 (Box set)

So, what would that be, maybe 40, 45 bucks release day from Amazon for the digibook package?

Still a decent price, but probably only so low because they were all mostly retreads from the Golden Collections. And honestly, that's why I haven't upgraded until now. I wanted more unreleased shorts, not another copy of What's Opera Doc.

EDIT: I read a little further where I found the SRP prices, and saw someone mentioning pre-ordering the digibook for $42. So they seem to have come down by half in the last 5 years. And, once again, $42 is a decent price anyway if you're a Blu purist or don't have the Golden Collections.

Last edited:

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

What were these sets selling for when first released? At $20 or lower each, they are a steal. I had no intention of buying them until I saw the price.

It sounds as if the most essential and top favorite cartoons made it to both sets, so I am not worried about missing anything too important, though I am sad to hear that some personal favorites of HTF members are missing.

Initially I remember them being $38-45 street price for the std Platinum -- I think Amazon was $38.99 on release and didn't get below $30 until a year later. I didn't buy mine until a year later during a 50% off sale at BN plus coupons and it still was $20. Vol 2 and 3 I think I got similar way for 17ea.

$15 for Vol 1 plus $17 total for the region free identical Vol 2 & 3 from Amazon.de is substantially less than many paid for just Vol1.
If the German Vol 1 was the full 3 discs instead of only the single disc, the entire series would be $25

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
As David indicates, there are many cartoons that never made it from the Goldens to the Platinums, but if you're looking for a good HD representation of the best of them, I'm sure you won't lose with the Platinums. I myself only have the Goldens, and I too am disappointed there has been no further effort to release the remaining two-thirds (roughly) in this wonderful library.

As for PQ, my recollection is that WHV transitioned to doing HD scans of the Looney Tunes starting with Golden Volume 2 circa 2004 or so. I'm not sure why there would be issues on the Blu-rays that weren't on the DVDs unless they're films from Golden Volume 1.

To the poster who mentioned Buccaneer Bunny, it can be found on Golden Volume 5. It isn't new to the Platinums.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
IThe Mouse Chronicles bluray set is also essential - it includes most or all of the Sniffles cartoons in the one set.

That is the only time in my life that I've heard Sniffles cartoons described as essential.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Initially I remember them being $38-45 street price for the std Platinum -- I think Amazon was $38.99 on release and didn't get below $30 until a year later. I didn't buy mine until a year later during a 50% off sale at BN plus coupons and it still was $20. Vol 2 and 3 I think I got similar way for 17ea.

$15 for Vol 1 plus $17 total for the region free identical Vol 2 & 3 from Amazon.de is substantially less than many paid for just Vol1.
If the German Vol 1 was the full 3 discs instead of only the single disc, the entire series would be $25

I keep track of when, where and how much I paid for items in my collection using DVD Profiler. I pre-ordered each of these sets via Amazon. Here's what I paid:

Volume One - $36.89
Volume Two - $29.44
Volume Three - $34.49

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

We must be sharing a brain, Ron. I have the exact same reaction. With Volume 1 at $14.99, I'm picking that up tomorrow. The other two are likely to follow fairly quickly.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jason,

Go for it.

Amazon was out of Volume #2 the other day, or, it was from a seller charging high shipping so I simply ordered that volume from Best Buy.

I don't know what the Amazon status is now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks