What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for Gollum (2026)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Hunt for Gollum? Didn't that already happen in Fellowship of the Ring, albeit inadvertently? I'm confused as to where this would fit into the LOTR mythos.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Maybe it's a feature-length story about Sauron's search for Gollum?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for $$$

Despite that observation; if the film can maintain the quality of the prior works in the franchise, then it is welcome.

- Walter.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why only make one movie when they could pad it out into a 9-hour trilogy?
It appears to be a 2 film story according to that article.

Lord of the Rings: The Hunt for $$$

Despite that observation; if the film can maintain the quality of the prior works in the franchise, then it is welcome.

- Walter.
I remain quite on the fence. It's *based* on Tolkien's work so it's a 3rd party telling a story Tolkien never bothered to tell. In my book it's nothing but fan fiction stuff. Might be OK but likely rather "meh" type stuff.

Last edited:

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
It appears to be a 2 film story according to that article.
The article says there are 2 LOTR films in development, which I took to mean 2 separate stories, not that Hunt for Gollum would be a 2-film story.

If HFG is being developed as a 2-film story, remember that The Hobbit started out as 2 films before getting stretched to 3, so there's still hope!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The article says there are 2 LOTR films in development, which I took to mean 2 separate stories, not that Hunt for Gollum would be a 2-film story.

If HFG is being developed as a 2-film story, remember that The Hobbit started out as 2 films before getting stretched to 3, so there's still hope!
Frankly, I got all the story I need about pre-fellowship Gollum in the open of the expanded version of The Fellowship of the Ring coupled with the relevant portions of The Hobbit.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Maybe it's a feature-length story about Sauron's search for Gollum?

My guess is it’s either this or Gandalf’s search for Gollum following Bilbo’s party (which lasted a few months in the films, but was 17 years in the books), which largely occurred offscreen in Fellowship.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
It won't be long before a television series is announced, a season for the Hobbit and a season each for the three LOTR books, plus The Silmarillion and assorted stories. As with Potter, the possibilities are endless!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It won't be long before a television series is announced, a season for the Hobbit and a season each for the three LOTR books, plus The Silmarillion and assorted stories. As with Potter, the possibilities are endless!
Are you forgetting about Amazon's "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power" series that plays quite loose with events pulled from the "Silmarillion" and appendices to "The Lords of the Rings" trilogy?

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I would sooner go for Farmer Giles of Ham than this made-up nonsense not written by Tolkien. At least that story had Chrysophylax, a dragon, and a hero named Ægidus Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo. And also a sword called Caudimordax that cannot be sheathed if a dragon is within five miles.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Are you forgetting about Amazon's "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power" series that plays quite loose with events pulled from the "Silmarillion" and appendices to "The Lords of the Rings" trilogy?
Is that series intended to be "canon" with the Peter Jackson films? If not, get ready for the Middle Earth Multiverse!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In this age of over-reliance on preexisting iP to engage audiences, it isn't surprising that WB would want to use The Lord of the Rings IP again. This Is, after all, the same studio that is planning to remake all the Harry Potter books again as a TV show even though the movie series was already one of the most faithful adaptations of literary source material ever put to film.

Whether there is any actual creative reason to do a Gollum movie is another question entirely and we'll have to see. Gollum is obviously the role that made Andy Serkis well-known, and. he did a sensational job as an actor in the original series. I'm sure he is being paid very well to make this and the check alone might be all the reason he needs. But I hope he can see what we can't right now and has the creative vision to do this.

I would say I am a casual fan of this franchise. I loved The Lord of the Rings but was decidedly not a fan of the overindulgent, belabored Hobbit films. I was impressed by the beginning of The Rings of Power TV show, which I got to see at a theatrical screening, but ended up dropping off partway through the season on television. So I'm not really excited about more movies. But I would probably go see this if it looks good.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I would say I am a casual fan of this franchise. I loved The Lord of the Rings but was decidedly not a fan of the overindulgent, belabored Hobbit films. I was impressed by the beginning of The Rings of Power TV show, which I got to see at a theatrical screening, but ended up dropping off partway through the season on television. So I'm not really excited about more movies. But I would probably go see this if it looks good.

My family are semi fans of Tolkien’s Middle Earth saga (my sister and I grew up with The Hobbit being read to us), but yeah, I wasn’t all that thrilled with The Hobbit films either. The first one was decent, but it was downhill from there with far too many overlong action bringing the story to a screeching halt. I’ve yet to see any of Rings of Power so I can’t comment on that, but I’ve honestly have no interest in seeing this Gollum film.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I only made it through two episodes of the Rings of Power series and I couldn't take any more. It didn't feel like Tolkien to me. As for another new film from the Jackson/Boyens/Walsh camp, I fear that ship has sailed...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, I'm not really interested in more Gollum. He's the Jar-Jar Binks of LOTR, IMO. Hated every time he was on-screen.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks