What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Lost in Space on Netflix (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
That was great! I'm pretty excited for this. I wonder what the budget was because it looks like they spent a LOT of money on it.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
For anyone interested, The Museum of Flight in Seattle is going to have a couple of screenings of "Lost in Space" on April 21st. There are some other activities planned as well.

Netflix comes to the Museum for two free screenings of its new series Lost in Space, a reimagining of the original 1960s TV show.

Synopsis:
Set in 2049, Lost in Space follows the Robinson family as they journey away from Earth to find a better home in space. But when the family finds itself abruptly torn off course en route to their new home they must forge new alliances and work together to survive in a dangerous alien environment, lightyears from their original destination.

Screening Times: 11:00AM and 1:00PM

Extras:
-Enjoy space-themed treats at the Intergalactic Concessions Stand!
-Customize your own Jupiter Mission cinch backpack! Visit the tote bag decoration station and choose from a variety of patches that a Netflix Brand Ambassador will iron on to your bag. Only 700 available!
-Get your photo taken in front of the Lost in Space green screen!
This event is free with admission to the Museum.

Additional Education Programs Sponsored By Netflix:
Portable Universe
Learn about the Solar System you call home. Explore planets, moons and more while learning about the motions and interactions of these amazing celestial objects.
Robotics
Participants use robotics kits to explore the basic engineering skills required to build a successful extraterrestrial rover. Students will also learn some of the history of robotics and discuss the latest achievements of robots in space, on Earth. And in the home.

To get your FREE Lost in Space movie ticket, reserve Museum admission for April 21st and select “Add Movie” before checkout.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
this is another much like Battlestar, that i was waiting for everyone to start with the backlash, oh they changed this, or they changed that, its to adult, it's not fun, every complainant i heard about the Ron Moore re-imagined series, well 8 years later, it still holds up pretty well, if its done seriously, the 70's show comes off now as really campy.

this wile entertaining is also pushing a social agenda, be it global warming, pollution, as stated in the trailer when earth can no longer sustain life,

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
this wile entertaining is also pushing a social agenda, be it global warming, pollution, as stated in the trailer when earth can no longer sustain life,
This is nothing new for sci/fi. Even when a move/tv show shows a future without global warming or pollution, it's often mentioned the human race was well on the way to screwing things up but a solution was found.

As a kid I traveled to the moon several times at Disneyland on the Mission to the Moon ride. The narrator of the ride would mention that Los Angeles used to be a big brown spot until the problem was fixed. No details were provided. ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
OK, so here's a question.

I've never actually seen a single episode of the original Lost In Space series. I bought the Blu-ray set due to rave reviews and a great price, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I thought the remake was coming next year so I wasn't in a rush.

Do you think I'm better off watching the old show first before trying out the reboot?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I've never actually seen a single episode of the original Lost In Space series. I bought the Blu-ray set due to rave reviews and a great price, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I thought the remake was coming next year so I wasn't in a rush.

Do you think I'm better off watching the old show first before trying out the reboot?
The original’s sets and production values make the original Star Trek look like a billion dollar movie. Come to think of it, so does the acting and the scripts. The original LIS is very, very cheesy. At times it was fun, at times it was groan inducing. So bad, so bad.

Which one to watch first? I suggest watching each as separate entities that have no connection with each other. To compare them, well all I can say is “Danger, danger Will Robinson!” :P

Watch a couple episodes of the original first.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The original’s sets and production values make the original Star Trek look like a billion dollar movie. Come to think of it, so does the acting and the scripts. The original LIS is very, very cheesy. At times it was fun, at times it was groan inducing. So bad, so bad.

That's pretty much where my expectations were at. I was eyeing the original as a late night viewing choice rather than primetime. I often like something a little less weighty before bed.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I’m looking forward to checking this out.

“It’s another mutant suicide squaaad!”

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

I suggest you watch S1 of the original. It's a very different animal than what's on display in S2 & S3. It's more serious in tone, although does have its low spots, and the "Doctor/Robot/Will" triumvirate effect had not reared its head. You will see some of it by the end of the season but it's nowhere as pronounced as it will become in S2 and especially S3. In S1, Dr. Smith is rather malevolent in nature, nothing like the clown/jester/fool/comedy relief/idiot he'd become by S3.

If this update turns out to be like S2/S3 then, and only then, watch those seasons on the original. That's not to say there aren't good episodes in those seasons, as there are, but the show took a decidedly comedic turn when Jonathan Harris was allowed to take control of and run with his character. OK... so you may want to watch those two seasons, just be aware they're very different from S1, almost a totally different program.

I would like to see what the show would have become had his character been written out in S1 as was the original intent.

I'm hoping this will be a serious series, like the reimagined Battlestar Galactica, more like the first season of the original. I don't have Netflix but if this series turns out to be a serious SF affair I'd consider a subscription to watch it. Normally I'd just wait for physical but with Netflix it seems unlikely that'll ever happen.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The 10-year-old somewhere in me will have to check this out since it looks like they are maintaining the family-oriented appeal of the original, which I regret holding my father and family hostage to watching the first time around since I was the same age as Billy Mumy and we only had the one living room TV. I can still see him cringe when that theme music started.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twinkletoes
Recent bookmarks