What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Man's Favorite Sport (1964) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is the Universal DVD rerelease from the same master as this? Or just a reprint of the original DVD from ~15 years ago?

About a year ago a lot of classic Universal movies appeared at Walmart with slip covers under a banner that said "Vintage Art Collection". I bought Man's Favorite Sport at that time and rewatched it last night. While it was on a 26" SD Sony Trinitron CRT that conceals a lot of flaws, it looked pretty good.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Is the Universal DVD rerelease from the same master as this? Or just a reprint of the original DVD from ~15 years ago?

About a year ago a lot of classic Universal movies appeared at Walmart with slip covers under a banner that was something like "Universal Fine Art Collection". I bought Man's Favorite Sport at that time and rewatched it last night. While it was on a 26" SD Sony Trinitron CRT that conceals a lot of flaws, it looked pretty good.

The only dvd release that could have this transfer is this one, because it came out after the restoration was done and all four films are now shared on 2 discs, so we know it’s not simply a repackaging of earlier dvds:

https://www.amazon.com/Pillow-Lover...ow+talk+dvd&qid=1566956150&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

There was a remastered 50th Anniversary Edition dvd put out in 2009 that was an improvement over the original dvd, but still miles below the restoration.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

About a year ago a lot of classic Universal movies appeared at Walmart with slip covers under a banner that was something like "Universal Fine Art Collection". I bought Man's Favorite Sport at that time and rewatched it last night. While it was on a 26" SD Sony Trinitron CRT that conceals a lot of flaws, it looked pretty good.
Man's Favorite Sport looks excellent on my 106" projector screen.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I can believe it.

The DVD I have with whatever vintage master that's on it, looks very good as-is (Same cover art as the Blu-Ray, with this as a slip cover).

MANSFAVORITESPORT.jpg

So if people like JohnMor say the Blu-Ray is a big step upwards from any of the DVD editions, I'm sure I'm in for a treat when I get my copy.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I can believe it.

The DVD I have with whatever vintage master that's on it, looks very good as-is (Same cover art as the Blu-Ray, with this as a slip cover).

View attachment 62281

So if people like JohnMor say the Blu-Ray is a big step upwards from any of the DVD editions, I'm sure I'm in for a treat when I get my copy.

Leo, I think I misunderstood you. I thought you were asking about a dvd edition with the Pillow Talk restoration. Were you asking about Man’s Favorite Sport? If so, my apologies. And please ignore my reply that would therefore make no sense. Lol.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I was talking about Man's Favorite Sport in post #21, but I can see how you misunderstood.

I should've clarified better that I was returning to the thread topic after going on about Pillow Talk with earlier posts. :)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
More of those fun Universal 60's films on blu(especially never released before ones) please.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
More of those fun Universal 60's films on blu(especially never released before ones) please.
Yeah, Bedtime story (1964) staring Marlon Brando & David Niven, a great comedy (& Brando is really funny in it), it was remade as Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (with Steve Martin & Michael Caine), which is very good, but I don't think it's as good as the original. I don't think it's even had a DVD release (but I could be wrong).

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have seen Bedtime Story and for me Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is the much better film because it has a wonderful ending (great director's commentary on the blu ray), which BS doesn't. Easily some of Michael's and Steve's (and Glenne's) best work.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I have seen Bedtime Story and for me Dirty Rotten Scoundrels is the much better film because it has a wonderful ending (great director's commentary on the blu ray), which BS doesn't. Easily some of Michael's and Steve's (and Glenne's) best work.
Ha, I prefer the ambiguous ending to the original film (but two very good films).
conman Brando gets what he wants in the end, the girl & her rich family, but the look on his face tells you that he thinks the fun's over
Anyway, it would be great to have it on Blu-ray.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ha, I prefer the ambiguous ending to the original film (but two very good films).
conman Brando gets what he wants in the end, the girl & her rich family, but the look on his face tells you that he thinks the fun's over
Anyway, it would be great to have it on Blu-ray.
I thought Kino had announced Bedtime Story was coming on Blu-ray?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, on December 14th!
Ah yes, thank you. Kino have done well by Shirley Jones because in addition to Bedtime Story, they also released another of her previously missing-in-action films, Never Steal Anything Small.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks