What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Disney+ Marvel's Werewolf By Night (Disney+) (1 Viewer)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
By now, Frankenstein, Dracula and mummy stories are public domain.
True, but if Marvel is going to do them, I'd be willing to bet they are adapted from the old Marvel titles.

I wasn't all that fond of Marvel's Frankenstein series, but Tomb of Dracula was one of their best 1970s titles. Marv Wolfman (ironic name) probably did his best writing on it, and the Gene Colan & Tom Palmer artwork was amazing. Rivaled only by the Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu title by Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy.

It's also worth noting that Tomb of Dracula was where Blade was introduced.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was trying to decide what to watch the other night, and remembered that I hadn't watched this yet!

Terrific one-shot! Loved everything about it, but especially Ted. Thankfully, now I won't think of a foul-mouthed teddy bear when I hear the name. :D

Makes me feel wistful for the old Marvel One-Shots they used to do for the Phase 1 disc releases. I'd love to see more of these short(er) one-offs. Especially if they focus on the odd-ball characters that might not (or might) succeed as regular features. I'd say "Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, please!" but they're apparently going to be doing that as an animated series.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
With baseball taking a few days off I decided to watch this tonight. I had thought it was going to be a 90 minute movie, but it was just 50 minutes which fit just right. It was great. The use of mostly black and white gave it a special feel and did take me back in time.

I stayed mostly spoiler free except knowing that Man-Thing was in it somehow. I had no idea what was going to happen and many of the twists were a surprise.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Watched it and enjoyed it. I think I have a Man-Thing comic book in my collection, and it was fun seeing him-it in motion. Even cooler this was a practical effect.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
F8Vnz0IXQAAyQgd

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It was shot in color originally, and the monochromatic effect was added. So technically the new version is de-monochromed. :) If having a color release increases the viewership of the film, then I guess that is okay.

As everyone knows, the intent of director Giacchino was to present Werewolf by Night as an homage to the classic Universal horror films, hence the monochromatic presentation. While it may be unfair to opine on something I haven't viewed, it seems like a color release will negate that aspect of the feature, which for me was one of its charms.

- Walter.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
As everyone knows, the intent of director Giacchino was to present Werewolf by Night as an homage to the classic Universal horror films, hence the monochromatic presentation. While it may be unfair to opine on something I haven't viewed, it seems like a color release will negate that aspect of the feature, which for me was one of its charms.
I was thinking the same, like what exactly is the point of this release? It feels to me more like they ran out of time/ideas/budget/production problems for an actual new entry in the series and just decided to throw this out there so they had something this year.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I was thinking the same, like what exactly is the point of this release?

The writers’ strike and then actors’ strike took away the company’s ability to attempt to produce another one-off short for this Halloween season, so remastering the existing special was probably just an easy way to leverage an existing asset to get a little Halloween buzz going.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The writers’ strike and then actors’ strike took away the company’s ability to attempt to produce another one-off short for this Halloween season, so remastering the existing special was probably just an easy way to leverage an existing asset to get a little Halloween buzz going.
I can't cite any sources, but I'm 95% sure I heard this release was going to happen before the writers strike was ever a thing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Color TV. Imagine that. What newfangled thing will they think of next?

1697236346698.jpeg

And TWO picture sizes! Modern times are certainly a wonder.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks