What's new

Mel Gibson to direct The Wild Bunch remake (2 Viewers)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Not sure I'll even watch it but I will certainly buy the UHD of the original that gets released just in time to cash in on its rise in popularity in the wake of the remake :D

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
will certainly buy the UHD of the original that gets released just in time to cash in on its rise in popularity in the wake of the remake

That thought hadn't quite sunk in yet but I definitely like the sound of that !

Regards,

P.S. How long before somebody proposes a remake of "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" or "Once Upon A Time In The West" :eek:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, the remake of Kubrick's 2001 is coming soon...it will explain everything and there will be no guys in monkey suits that will all be CGI.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]P.S. How long before somebody proposes a remake of "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" or "Once Upon A Time In The West" :eek:
Not long at all. Between the two of us, we can make 'em both. But I get first dibs on the Eli Wallach and Jason Robards roles.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Edited by PMF:

The following valid posts of #46 and #47 had involved my references to "A Night to Remember" and "Titanic";
along with "King of Kings", "The Greatest Story Ever Told" and "The Passion of The Christ".

Edited in order to keep a more narrow scope on absolute re-makes.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Similar stories do not automatically qualify as remakes.

C’mon PMF. The only things those films have in common is that they both tell the stories of Christ and the Titanic. None of the films you mentioned are remakes in any way shape or form.

Please My Friend (PMF):P

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's not a remake. It tells two different stories about the same event. If that qualifies Titanic as a remake then Flags Of Out Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima are remakes too.
Same events factored heavily into the films cited within my post.
Re-visitations, perhaps?
Regardless, I'm good with it all and can easily go the way of Tino and TravisR.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Being that my larger point from Post #31 was to speak about re-makes that were successful; I will replace the looser "same event" - "different story" titles with a newer example, to hopefully tighten in the reigns.

I wonder if we can agree upon the successes of "True Grit"; both old and new?

IMHO, both are great; and what I like about The Coen Brothers version is that it didn't erase or diminish the pleasures of the Henry Hathaway film. Both have much to offer.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Great examples, but all with the exception of True Grit came before the current "remake factory" mindset in Hollywood. Also, we're talking about The Wild Bunch here; one of the most seminal westerns in film history. While it's a very good movie, I don't think the original True Grit quite makes it into that category.

Let's just hope that Gibson's take on this won't turn out to be another teal and orange turd.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Great examples, but all with the exception of True Grit came before the current "remake factory" mindset in Hollywood. Also, we're talking about The Wild Bunch here; one of the most seminal westerns in film history. While it's a very good movie, I don't think the original True Grit quite makes it into that category.

Let's just hope that Gibson's take on this won't turn out to be another teal and orange turd.

I agree that True Grit does not have the same status as the Wild Bunch but then in my book Mel Gibson is allowed one remake in his directorial career and at least he isn't some hack but somebody who made some really good movies. I also happen to think that he does seem to like blood, torture and pain a bit too much so I hope he doesn't go overboard in those areas.

Agreed on the color timing and I also hope they will not desaturate certain colors artificially like they did in Risen, that was completely unnecessary.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
10 Commandments remake wasn’t too shabby either
Yah, but I felt that adding color, sound and changing the ratio was, IMHO, a bit of a cheat.:D

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Another triad of successful re-makes.
Leo McCarey's "Love Affair" (1939) and "An Affair to Remember" (1957); following by Warren Beatty's "Love Affair" (1994).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Another triad of successful re-makes.
Leo McCarey's "Love Affair" (1939) and "An Affair to Remember" (1957); following by Warren Beatty's "Love Affair" (1994).
Each remake yielded diminishing returns. None, sad to say, is as successful as the original; not even McCarey's own remake (and I desperately love Deborah Kerr).

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Each remake yielded diminishing returns. None, sad to say, is as successful as the original; not even McCarey's own remake (and I desperately love Deborah Kerr).
It depends on what's your definition of diminishing returns? Home video has been good to some of those remakes while the 1957 version has become kind of an iconic romantic film and home video has helped it in that regard.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It depends on what's your definition of diminishing returns? Home video has been good to some of those remakes while the 1957 version has become kind of an iconic romantic film and home video has helped it in that regard.
I didn't mean financial returns. The Beatty remake isn't as good as the 1957 remake, which is not as good as the original 1939 version. Granted, the 1957 version is the most popular because it's been around with multiple exposures while we were growing up (I even saw it theatrically double-billed with Snow White and the Three Stooges!) on TV, then home video and the reference in Sleepless in Seattle, which helped bring it back into public consciousness.
Meanwhile, the 1939 original had been pulled from circulation to make room for the remake, and eventually fell into public domain hell, which means that home video has never gotten a decent release of the film. I didn't get to see the '39 version until William K. Everson showed a 16mm print at the New School in 1972. I know MoMA has recently restored it and shown it. It does deserve to be more widely known because McCarey kept the original tauter and less sentimental. He also slipped a few things by the censors which he omitted in the more sanitized '57 version.
Boyer/Dunne, Grant/Kerr are perfect in their roles, and so are the grandmothers. I love both versions, but i definitely prefer the more adult original.
I really have no idea what Beatty thought he might improve on by remaking McCarey's versions. However, he gave me another reason to love Bening.
And that's what I meant by diminishing returns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks