What's new
World Wide Stereo

Mitsubishi WD60737 and HD Cablebox/Sat box help! (1 Viewer)

PaulShady

Agent
OK this could get confusing but I'll try my best!
Just got a Mitsubishi WD60737 Rear Projection DLP Television for Christmas. Also got a HD Comcast Cable box AND HD Directtv Sat Box. The Picture "seems" pretty clear/nice, but not HD nice. There is an "info" button on the TV remote which is "suppose" to tell me the quality of the picture. ALL channels display 480p standard. No matter what channel I put on Cable Box or Sat. receiver. Tried every channel. (I have the cable box and Sat. hooked up by the HDMI cables.)
I also have a WD Live media player, also hooked up with HDMI. This shows up a 1080p when I'm watching any video.
I also have a LG BluRay player hooked up through HDMI which shows 1080i when watching a DVD. Both these pictures are noticeably better then the Cable or Sat. (Since I only have 3 HDMI's I have the BluRay and WDLive box hooked up using a smart HDMI Hub. Not that I think matters but I wanted to list everything.)

OK, When I run the cable from the wall directly into the Cable inlet in the rear of the TV, HD Channels show up as HD Channels! For some unknown reason, when I watch the same channel Through the Cable box, I lose the "HD"!

Went through ALL the setup options in the cable box and Sat receiver, but still no luck. Also tried to hook-up the cablebox with Component cables to eliminate the HDMI possibility of being defective. Still indicating 480p as quality.

I plan on calling Comcast Cable and have them come out and take a look at it, but Today is Sunday and wanted to see if I could find an answer myself!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had a neighbor a couple of years ago who had just gotten his first HDTV and asked me to come over to calibrate it. When I arrived, he was watching a college football game on ABC. It looked fairly poor. I asked him what his impression was of high definition television, and he said he was unimpressed with it. Before I started calibrating anything, I took his cable remote and changed the channel to the ABC-HD channel (which he didn't even know that he had). He had been watching all of his network TV on the lower analog channels of his cable line-up instead of the HD versions of those channels which were situated WAY DOWN on the channel line-up of his cable system. Naturally, his eyes popped out of his head when he saw the difference between the two broadcasts. (Oddly enough, his TV was a Mitsubishi RPTV as well!)

That's the first thing I thought of when I read your problem. I assume you are watching the HD versions of those channels rather than the SD versions. If you are, I can't imagine why they wouldn't be showing up as 1080i or 720p when you press the info button.

I don't understand why your Blu-ray player would be registering 1080i on a DVD. Have you gone into your Blu-ray player's setup menu to have it upconvert DVDs to 1080p?

PaulShady

Agent
Thanks for the FAST reply Matt! Yes, I shoulda been more clear in my initial post. I am sure I checked all the HD channel, not just the standard "old" analog channels. Just got off Chat with my Cable company, they ran a few tests and seem to think its my Cable box. SO I gotta swap that out this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalysdriveway
Recent bookmarks