What's new

Mixed Set Up (1 Viewer)

vinny-Eire

Auditioning
Real Name
Vinny
Hi everyone well the receiver i bought 20 years ago hasnt been working so well lately so i went out and bought a system off a friend of mine , 20 years ago since i set up my system so i am very rusty with all this new modern systems, plenty of advice will be needed :)
First of all i will list what i have that i can use
Yamaha RX-V575 AV Receiver
Cambridge Audio SX120 Subwoofer
Cambridge Audio S50 Centre Speaker
Cambridge Audio S20 Stand Mount Speakers (One set 2 speakers)
Cambridge Audio SX50 Stand Mount Speakers (One set 2 speakers)
Bose Interaudio 2000xl Book Shelf Speakers (One set 2 speakers)
LG Network BLU RAY Disc Player (Model BD370)
LG 42 Inch Full HD 1080P LCD TV (Model LD450)

A little dated but hopefully will do the job for me ,

So my yamaha is 7.1 or 7.2 its hard to figure out and what i need to know is which speakers should i use for front speakers , Surround Speakers, or how exactly does 7.1 or 7.2 work how many speakers should i have

On the rear of the yamaha the speaker ports are Front, Centre, Surround, Surround back / bi amp / zone b (All same one)
So thats whats confusing me what speakers go where.

Then the subwoofer preout on the amp has two ports labeled 1 & 2 , but the subwoofer itself only has one so which should i connect to

Then the Bose speakers are they even suitable to connect up to the amp the specs of them are as follows
SPECS: INTERAUDIO 2000:

CABINET SIZE....9"W X 14"H X 71/2"D
WOOFER SIZE....6"
TWEETER SIZE...3"
OHMS.....4 to 8
WATTAGE.....10 to 70W MAX

Next question , the room was prewired for rear speakers but the wires are not marked so i dont know which one is + and which is - is their a way of finding out this or if i connect wrong way around will they do damage

Thanks every one for reading this and would be very grateful for any suggestions on the set up thats ahead of me
vinny

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Welcome to HTF Vinny.

For starters, you'll generally want to put the most capable speakers in the left, center and right positions.

For you, that would be the SX50's on the left and right, with the S50 in the center.

You can use the S20's as your left and right surrounds, and the Bose's as your rear surrounds. Here's a diagram showing you which speaker I'd put where:

1607281627023.png

Here is how you'd hook up on the receiver. The sub goes into SW1, using a coaxial RCA cable.

1607281802626.png

For the prewired rears, you can buy a continuity tester or toner which will let you determine which wire is which on each end quite cheaply. You attach one end on the reciever side, and when you touch to the end where the speakers are, it will sound a tone. You can use either wire as black, and use the toner to label them:

Hope this helps!

vinny-Eire

Auditioning
Real Name
Vinny
It more then helps ,
Dave thanks ever so much for all the info thats amazing and your diagrams simplify the lot for me , wow thanks for putting so much effort in , i really appreciate it,
i am going to have a go wire it up later and i will report back tomorrow , thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks