What's new
World Wide Stereo

Monoprice Subwoofer Any Good ? (1 Viewer)

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
I'm looking to get a subwoofer. I do already have one, but it's a passive subwoofer, so I thought it would be easier to just get a new powered one. My question is...are monoprice subs any good ? I read through all the reviews, and out of all of them, there was only one bad review.

I don't need anything special. It's just for a surround setup that's in my small bedroom, around 10 by 12 or so. Just a normal small bedroom. I'm looking at this one...

Just one last quick question. My receiver, a denon, has a subwoofer preout that labeled 1 and 2. The sub in question has a white and red two rca cable input. How would I connect the two ?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It'll be good, for what it is. Just remember it's a $90 subwoofer, so don't expect much from it. There are several steps to setting it up. You have to turn on the #1 sub output in the receiver's setup menu, then set crossover frequencies for all the speakers. Then you connect the Sub #1 coax output to either the Left or Right input sub. Then, you want to set the crossover (Freq) setting dial on the sub all the way up to the highest setting (150Hz), Finally you need to set the subwoofer's level. That part can be a bit confusing, since there are level controls both on the sub and in the receiver's setup menu.

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
It'll be good, for what it is. Just remember it's a $90 subwoofer, so don't expect much from it. There are several steps to setting it up. You have to turn on the #1 sub output in the receiver's setup menu, then set crossover frequencies for all the speakers. Then you connect the Sub #1 coax output to either the Left or Right input sub. Then, you want to set the crossover (Freq) setting dial on the sub all the way up to the highest setting (150Hz), Finally you need to set the subwoofer's level. That part can be a bit confusing, since there are level controls both on the sub and in the receiver's setup menu.
So I wouldn't need to use both
of my receiver's sub preouts ?

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
another quick question. It would help a lot if I could use the subwoofer I already have. it's 130w. It's an Onkyo SKW-391. I was looking at this on amazon...

Facmogu ST-838 40W 2x20W Mini Digital Hi-Fi Power Amplifier​

It says 40w subwoofer. I wouldn't be able to use this, would I ?

ChuckyMan

Agent
Real Name
Charles Wilson
There's this one I'm seriously considering.

Nobsound NS-03G Subwoofer Amplifier​

It says it's 100w. My subwoofer says 130w. Would this amp work ?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can't have too MUCH power. You can have too little power, especially with a sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks