What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need Help Please - Testing Speakers. (1 Viewer)

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
Hello Everyone,

So I have a chance to buy a set of, USED Def Tech BP-8 or Def Tech BP-10's locally from someone. He does have power I can use there, but no Amp.

Any thoughts on a way I can test the speakers to be "somewhat" certain they work well?

I have a 7.1 Receiver but I would really like to avoid bringing such a big item with me. Also, I can bring a multimeter to test for resistance/continuity from the speaker terminals but I am assuming that's minimal testing.

I do have a couple of car amps in my closet. But have no idea if & how I could use them to test the speakers, or a means to play something then?

I would appreciate any thoughts/help?
Thank you.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I literally just went through this exact scenario yesterday when I purchased my "new to me" Monitor Audio GX300's. Hate to tell you this but I would strongly recommend bringing your receiver. That's what I did, along with a portable CD player which I connected via RCA cables. After connecting things up, I sat there in the sellers living room listening to my CD collection for a full 30 minutes before deciding to purchase the speakers.

Since I labeled everything on the receiver before disconnecting it, when it was time to reconnect things later in the day it wasn't really all that bad. I considered it a small amount of inconvenience now for a whole lot of comfort in the future.

Alternatively, you could use a AA battery to at least confirm the driver response to voltage but there's really no substitute for hearing them with your own music.

Good luck with it.

Openupshop

Grip
Real Name
Mark
Thanks John, that is actually what ended up doing a few days ago. Brought my receiver with me. Although I only listened to some random stuff for a couple of minutes.
Seller was a good dude, last couple of days been listening to the speakers, they sound amazing. Really glad I didn't just pass on them, which is what I was thinking of doing.

Thank you again for the info anyway, I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks