What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Need help with Office 365 for PC -Outlook specifically (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
We upgraded our laptop this weekend and all went fine. I logged into my Office account and Office 365 was loaded up fine. We have been using O365 on our retired laptop and Outlook runs like a charm, I have two email accounts loaded to it (POP accounts if that matters) and when we open Outlook (2016) we are presented with 1 inbox that pulls in BOTH our accounts emails. Just the way we like it to work.

We wanted/expected the same to happen when I installed O365 on new laptop. So I opened Outlook 2016 for first time on new laptop, it welcomed me, and started asking the usual set up question So I went thru, filled in all the email account info but I noticed it was setting it up as IMAP for both. Didn't think much of it until all was done and I went into Outlook and it turns out having a "merged" inbox isn't possible due to IMAP set up. So I figured I'd use old laptop and export the .pst file from it and load it to the new machine. Well it loaded, but still no merged folder, for that matter, the "All message" Inbox doesn't even populate with new emails. I have to look on the left Outlook pane for each persons email account and see if it shows having an email (noted by each name with a #..ex: [email protected] -2 )

My wife hates this, as do I and I want to get back to a single merged inbox like my other laptop using the same Office 365 does. I know it has something to do with using POP vs. IMAP which saves things as an ".os" file.

I read I can't just uninstall Outlook, I'm forced to uninstall ALL of Office 365 so I really want to do that, but fear that maybe Office 365 won't let me reinstall it all after I clean house. Meaning they may say I used up all my PC authorizations or whatever.

So, does of you Windows/Office pros know of a decent method to fix this? Is uninstalling best way and just start all over??

Any thoughts/ideas are much appreciated.

Other than this silly hiccup, we love the new laptop. :)

Thanks!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Microsoft is really strange with this stuff. I still have one install left from my Office CDs, but haven't really needed it so I just keep it for possible later use.

My post isn't going to help you at all, sorry. But I do have a question for you.

How do I get my Outlook account to store my email on my laptop as a ".pst" file? Ever since I got Windows 10, everything is online, my mail is stored somewhere in the "cloud". That's fine, but it would be nice to be able to access things off-line, not always going live on the internet for everything.

I'll see if I can dig up an answer for your issue. 25 years of help-desk type experience with MS products, but I semi-retired in 2008 so a bit out of touch with the newer stuff.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Solved!

I uninstalled Office 365 and started over. I told Outlook to make sure to use same .pst file folder for BOTH email accounts. Now it's all back to normal. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks