What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Need James Bond Movies on UHD Disc! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That is way more than I would have expected. Is there a regularly updated list out there that shows all itunes UHD movies and if they are available on UHD disc?
Not that I know of, but every week I come across some 4K titles that I didn't realize were available.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And viewing the Bond films thru iTunes in 4K, they are visually superior to all the Blu rays viewing them on my 65” LG OLED.
Not wishing to be a snob but 65 inches is rather small to take advantage of 4K resolution and especially to see significant resolution advantages, i would argue that what you are seeing is an inferior blu ray experience because the Bond flicks are not using the latest and greatest scans and are in my opinion inferior products to what they should be if using new scans.

I think comparing blu ray editions using new scans would yield a different opinion on such a small screen, yes it is big for a television but small compared to projection and UHD looks best on projection where the uptick in resolution is more noticeable, seating distance plays its part.

As for sound, someone talked about dynamics, the difference between low and high sounds, unfortunately I find studios are compromising sound, they are reducing dynamic range for the home and often removing the very lowest bass frequencies too, it’s become an issue.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
I have also seen improvements in detail with a movie coming from the same master, that was Samsara on itunes where the 4k versions beats the Blu-ray that itself is excellent. and considered to be reference quality

Generally though with movies from a 2k DCP like Furious 7 I would expect the Blu-ray to be better overall than a 4k UHD stream. The stream cannot have much of a resolution advantage and audio is inferior, too.

That's true, the ones I compared are 2k DIs. I'll have to see if I own something with a 4k master on Vudu in 4k and compare that. Maybe Men in Black?

Not wishing to be a snob but 65 inches is rather small to take advantage of 4K resolution and especially to see significant resolution advantages

That's not true at all, it's all about field of view (viewing distance). I sit at a 40 degree field of view from that size a TV and I can assure you the difference is pretty massive comparing the same master on Blu-ray and 4k UHD.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
, i would argue that what you are seeing is an inferior blu ray experience because the Bond flicks are not using the latest and greatest scans and are in my opinion inferior products to what they should be if using new scans.
I can easily see the differences. And I’m not talking about just the Bond films. Every 4K iTunes stream looks better than its Blu Ray counterpart and equal (or very very close to) to its UHD counterpart to me (on my tiny 65” inferior OLED screen:lol:).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can easily see the differences. And I’m not talking about just the Bond films. Every 4K iTunes stream looks better than its Blu Ray counterpart and equal (or very very close to) to its UHD counterpart to me (on my tiny 65” inferior OLED screen:lol:).
An iTunes stream is equal to the UHD counterpart, I take your post as intended to be comedic, hence the smiley.

I enjoy watching some films on Netflix, its actually watchable even on my projector but it is inferior to a disc experience and my eyesight is rubbish these days, that’s just my opinion of course, streaming will eventually catch up and when the infrastructure allows it that’ll be great.

Well not so great when the Studios control when to pull the content we just bought, the disc is dead, long live the disc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An iTunes stream is equal to the UHD counterpart, I take your post as intended to be comedic, hence the smiley.

I enjoy watching some films on Netflix, its actually watchable even on my projector but it is inferior to a disc experience and my eyesight is rubbish these days, that’s just my opinion of course, streaming will eventually catch up and when the infrastructure allows it that’ll be great.
I'm not being comedic and I agree with Tino for the most part as there are some exceptions, but I'm watching on a 65" OLED too.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm not being comedic and I agree with Tino for the most part as there are some exceptions, but I'm watching on a 65" OLED too.
I am just waiting for a Sony XZ2 Premium owner to pipe in and tell me how great they all look on their screens.

How much is it down to the new encode versus the actual resolution.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Let's also not forget that streaming can be and is affected by internet/network throughput issues. Quality is not ONLY determined by what the service is sending you.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’m not joking. To my eyes they are virtually identical. Even on my puny 65” OLED screen (that’s what this (:P) was for).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
On the films that are being compared on UHd Blu Ray and the UHd digital versions, do the UHd Blu Ray discs include Dolby vision. I know Disney has at times left Dolby vision off the physical disc but included it on the digital version.

A friend noted this to me and I had also noticed this on one title. In fact my friend stated there is a small % of UHd Blu Ray discs that ate including Dolby vision. He also said typically the streaming versions do look better.
Is the lack of Dolby vision on the UHd Blu Ray disc contributing to the difference?

If so, it is another example of the studios encouraging UHd streaming by making the digital version look better than the discs. ??

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
I’m not joking. To my eyes they are virtually identical. Even on my puny 65” OLED screen (that’s what this (:P) was for).

Maybe iTunes has some special sauce but I've compared a lot of Vudu stuff to discs and discs win overwhelmingly every time. Not sure I've compared a 4k stream of a 4k master as someone mentioned, I'll do that soon, but I've compared a lot of stuff and the Vudu stream always looks more "fuzzy" and less detailed, for lack of better words, because of the compression. I have a wired 50mbps connection too, not some dinky thing.

Also we can't just focus on video, as the sound quality difference is truly massive. Even more obvious than the video difference.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also we can't just focus on video, as the sound quality difference is truly massive. Even more obvious than the video difference.
Sorry. Disagree again.

I have a Verizon 1000 megabit connection. The iTunes 4K streams with Dolby Atmos for instance that I’ve compared to its UHD counterpart on my LG OLED and my Yamaha Atmos receiver look and sound virtually identical. Don’t know what to tell you.

But I still prefer the actual physical discs for a few reasons. Audio options mostly like foreign language tracks and some streams only have 5.1 and not Atmos ( like SPR).

But the convenience, lower price and the ever improving quality of 4K streaming is definitely impacting my physical disc purchases

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here we go again.:rolleyes: We've been down this same road about "streaming versus physical discs" and "Vudu versus iTunes" so many different times in so many different threads. I'm not doing it again in any great detail in this thread. It's just becoming an exercise in redundancy for me.

I will say that a 4K/UHD stream on iTunes with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos looks and sounds just about the same as a 4K/UHD disc. For the most part, the video on the disc might have a slight advantage compared to a stream, but it is not a "night and day" difference. Furthermore, for many titles I really have to take a real hard look to distinguish between the images in motion with my normal sitting position versus standing right in front of the display being another factor. Up close to the display I can see those slight differences easier than when I sit in my normal sitting position. Unlike, years ago when doing similar disc to stream comparisons, it was much more obvious to distinguish a Blu-ray disc from a stream, no matter your actual position to the display. Frankly, the Amazon Prime streams were sorely lacking in such comparisons. IMO, they've come a long way in streaming quality since then for obvious reasons such as, but the inclusive, compression and capacity improvements associated with streaming in 2019 versus what the phone companies and such were able to do back in the day.

By the way, Dolby Atmos on iTunes is derived from Dolby TrueHD while a Dolby Atmos track on Vudu is derived from DD+. Some people have been able to distinguish differences between Vudu and iTunes when playing the same Dolby Atmos title.

Also, I do have some 4K/UHD discs with HDR10, but the same 4K/UHD title on ITunes will be in Dolby Vision.

Over and out.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My experience has been similar to Robert's and Tino's. Streaming 4K/UHD content comes very close to UHD disc quality. I have a slightly less tiny 70-inch Vizio LCD display and a 130Mbps Comcast Internet connection, along with a Denon X3300 Atmos-capable AVR(but no ceiling speakers, just a plain ol' 7.1 speaker setup). The difference is close enough that I have no qualms purchasing 4K streaming content instead of a disc when the price is attractive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks