What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New Errol Flynn Movie - US Opening January 25th (1 Viewer)

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Opening paragraphs from the The Canberra Times review (October 2018):

"In 1937, the Australian-born Hollywood star Errol Flynn wrote Beams End, a rollicking account of his youthful Coral Sea adventures with three friends aboard Sirocco, a 12-metre yacht that was never meant to sail beyond Sydney Harbour's headlands.

"The book's tone was an engaging blend of artful self-deprecation and gleeful exaggeration. Flynn was exulting in his growing reputation as a gentlemanly hell-raiser, while taking care to do it with charm.

"Describing Sirocco's 5000-kilometre voyage from Sydney to Papua New Guinea, he wrote: "The only truly remarkable thing about our seamanship was our appalling lack of it ... my calculations of our position would, as often as not, locate the ship anywhere from the South Pole to the middle of the Sahara Desert".

"Australian action director Russell Mulcahy (Resident Evil: Extinction) has produced a rough screen translation of these reminiscences but little of Flynn's insouciance has made the cut. The film plays like an old-fashioned Hollywood B-picture with a bland hero, lots of drinking and brawling and a lot of over-acting..."

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
When I saw the thread title I thought - Woo Hoo! WAC releasing another Flynn film! :rock:
Then I read the actual thread title a little more closely. Oh well. :mellow:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It should also be in the Movies section, shouldn't it?

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
The IN LIKE FLYNN DVD arrived today. Plays on all of my US DVD players without a problem. It’s a bare-bones release but the movie displays with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 on a 16:9 Widescreen. Plus the soundtrack is in 5.1 English Dolby audio. The running time is 98m. There is no menu, extras, or subtitles.

The DVD appears to be legitimate and not a boot-leg. IN LIKE FLYNN’s official Australian DVD release date was Feb 6th.

I pulled out my book and there is this, in the first chapter of BEAM ENDS, that tips off the reader to what will follow. And must have served as inspiration to the film-makers of IN LIKE FYLNN. Errol writes-

“Usher’s is the famous Sydney hotel where foregather all the men from the South Sea Islands… You will hear of encounters with unknown tribes of savage head-hunters, of close shaves by ambush in the New Guinea jungles, of good gold prospects found in the mountains of Solomon Islands…You will hear how So and So’s canoe capsized in the vast crocodile-infested Sepik River, of which no man knows the source… Bend a leg on the bar foot-rail and you will hear many strange and wonderful stories. What is more, a lot of them are true. I know, because I have told some true ones myself.”

shot0002.png

Last edited:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
I take it Mark that it is the Aussie release on Umbrella. No BD unfortunately.

No BD. At least not yet. Though the DVD looks more than just good projected on a 120" screen. The soundtrack is active on the surrounds. The film score is rousing too, and available at Amazon.

The biggest fault with the disc is no subtitles; sometimes the dialog is hard to discern with the Australian accents, Especially when Charlie speaks. Fortunately there are subtitles available to download online.

I'm hope it will at least be available at some point as an HD stream. It just opened in the US the last week of January so that may be a few months away here. With all the location shooting, it deserves to be viewed at more than 480p.

Last edited:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
iTunes has just listed IN LIKE FLYNN. Pre-order is $9.99 with release date of April 30th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale