What's new
World Wide Stereo

New Receiver-Old Speakers (1 Viewer)

michigandoc

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Noobie here. I'm making an attempt to start a home theater starting with the Pio VSX-1019AH-V receiver and a Onkyo SKW204 Bass Reflex Powered Subwoofer. I plan to use a pair of very old Sansui 3 way speakers 8 ohm, 60 w and a Bose center speaker rated 8 ohm 80 w , with a pair of Bose satellite speakers rated at 8 ohm, 10-80 w. Considering that the receiver is rated a t 120 w/channel, is this setup feasible? I will be purchasing additional speakers eventually. Is this setup possible or a totally idiotic endeavor? Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
While a setup like that would work it certainly isn't ideal. The fronts and center channel really should be from the same manufacturer so vocals and other sounds are timbre matched across the front soundstage. Also, make sure you pay close attention to the cross-over settings in the speaker setup menu, particularly for the small Bose surrounds. Most of their smallish speakers only go down to 280 hz. Use your receivers highest setting for those speakers to prevent damage. Most newcomers are surprised to hear that Bose isn't thought of very highly in this or any Home Theater forum. Do a search of Bose reviews if you're interested.

Of course, the best thing to do is buy a complete matched speaker system or individual speakers from the same series/brand. Most here would also recommend a more competent subwoofer but then the cost starts to really escalate. But so will the performance.

michigandoc

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Thanks for the input. I will probably get a complete of compatible speakers in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
QuirkyProtection
Recent bookmarks