What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New restoration of Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923) (1 Viewer)

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Universal is doing a new restoration of the Lon Chaney Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923):

Jon Mirsalis is involved (see post Sep. 06, 2020)

Rodney Sauer,The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, has posted a relevant video, Sep. 06, 2020. The Orchestra "will not actually be involved in the Universal video release. We will be providing the accompaniment at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival next May" (see post Sep. 09, 2020).

JonChaneyFan posted this on Sep. 07, 2020:

"'m not really "working with Universal" as indicated above, but I did provide my original Show-at-Home print which is the source for about 99% of the image, and I also sent them the original cutting continuity. I saw an early scan in April of 2019 that had been image-stabilized, but not yet digitally cleaned, and it was pretty stunning. What they do is "de-grain" the film by digitally removing all the grain, then they do the digital cleanup, and finally they put all the grain back. I don't know where the clip in Rodney's presentation is in that process, but I suspect it is pre-cleanup. If you saw their restoration of THE LAST WARNING you know what they can do with mediocre material.

I got a tour of the Universal restoration unit last year and the stuff they can do is pretty amazing. They scan every frame five times (cyan, yellow, magenta, b/w registration, infrared); they use the infrared to remove dust later. The scan rate is about 2 sec per frame, so it takes a day to do one reel. The image stabilization alone was astonishing. I saw this projected full-frame, and the sprocket holes were bouncing around like crazy on the edges, but the image was rock-solid. The version I saw was definitely pre-cleaning as it had a lot of scratches and dirt.

This was supposed to premiere this year in May at the SFSFFF, but that got COVID-cancelled. I wrote the program notes for it, and I assume it will show next year at the 2021 event, assuming that doesn't get cancelled as well."

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Frankie_A

Agent
Universal is doing a new restoration of the Lon Chaney Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923):

Jon Mirsalis is involved (see post Sep. 06, 2020)

Rodney Sauer,The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, has posted a relevant video, Sep. 06, 2020. The Orchestra "will not actually be involved in the Universal video release. We will be providing the accompaniment at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival next May" (see post Sep. 09, 2020).

JonChaneyFan posted this on Sep. 07, 2020:

"'m not really "working with Universal" as indicated above, but I did provide my original Show-at-Home print which is the source for about 99% of the image, and I also sent them the original cutting continuity. I saw an early scan in April of 2019 that had been image-stabilized, but not yet digitally cleaned, and it was pretty stunning. What they do is "de-grain" the film by digitally removing all the grain, then they do the digital cleanup, and finally they put all the grain back. I don't know where the clip in Rodney's presentation is in that process, but I suspect it is pre-cleanup. If you saw their restoration of THE LAST WARNING you know what they can do with mediocre material.

I got a tour of the Universal restoration unit last year and the stuff they can do is pretty amazing. They scan every frame five times (cyan, yellow, magenta, b/w registration, infrared); they use the infrared to remove dust later. The scan rate is about 2 sec per frame, so it takes a day to do one reel. The image stabilization alone was astonishing. I saw this projected full-frame, and the sprocket holes were bouncing around like crazy on the edges, but the image was rock-solid. The version I saw was definitely pre-cleaning as it had a lot of scratches and dirt.

This was supposed to premiere this year in May at the SFSFFF, but that got COVID-cancelled. I wrote the program notes for it, and I assume it will show next year at the 2021 event, assuming that doesn't get cancelled as well."
Does anyone know if that image stabilization process is done by some computer AI magic or is it done by human eyes, aligning frame by frame?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This footage has been out there for decades and on all video restorations is something new?
The colour footage in the current restoration of Phantom is a "simulation"; it was colorized to simulate 2-color Technicolor.

Now, back to regularly scheduled programming. Looking forward to Hunchback, when it happens. I know these things take time.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The colour footage in the current restoration of Phantom is a "simulation"; it was colorized to simulate 2-color Technicolor.

Now, back to regularly scheduled programming. Looking forward to Hunchback, when it happens. I know these things take time.

The restoration of Hunchback has already happened, and has been available from Kino for some time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks