What's new
World Wide Stereo

Newbe question about optical and digital inputs (1 Viewer)

olefin32

Auditioning
Real Name
Dayton
At the present I have a Samsung HDTV wired to a Bose Lifestyle 30 Series 2 sound system using analog cables. I feel the sound is not as good as it should be.

The TV has a Digital Audio Out (Optical) but Bose only has one digital input (no optical). I'm currently using the digital input for the DVD player.

I think I need an optical to digital adapter. Online I've found a "Tosink Optical to Coaxial Digital Audio Converter". Is that what I need?

And could I use a Y adapter (if there is such a thing) to input both TV and DVD to the Bose system since only one will be used at a time? Or I could switch manually for seldom use the DVD.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Dayton, welcome to HTF! Just a heads up, most TV's will not pass DD5.1 sound, so if you do manage to find an optical to digital coax converter you are not likely to get surround sound. Also before you invest any more money into the system, are you getting the results you are looking for when you've tried switching the digital cable from the DVD player to the TV?

Cheers,
Alon

PS - you won't find much love for Bose on this forum ;)

olefin32

Auditioning
Real Name
Dayton

Not sure I understand your answer about most TV's not passing DD5.1 sound?
Switching cables from the DVD is what I'm wanting to do?
There is no digital output on the TV except optical.
I'm not looking for love, only info.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Thanks

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Dayton, what I mean is that most TV's are only capable of outputting stereo 2.0 via the digital output. It's unlikely that you would be able to play Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround using this connection method

Do you have a cable box or DVR? You're likely to achieve better results by outputting audio directly from the source to your Bose system, instead of connecting via the TV

Cheers,
Alon

j0sh818

Grip
Real Name
Joshua
just curious about having 5.1 DD passing through from TV. i got an inexpensive Vizio tv connected to Onkyo receiver but i was able to get DD 5.1.

maybe i got lucky, i guess?

thanks!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Many TVs will output DD 5.1 from their own internal tuners through the digital output. But they cannot output digital signals received from other sources through their digital outputs. So if you have cable or an antenna going directly into the TV, it will be able to output the DD sound from its digital output. But it may not be able to output any sound at all via the digital outputs from a DVD player or other device. That's what is meant by digital "pass-through".

Regards,

Joe

olefin32

Auditioning
Real Name
Dayton

Alon,
If, my Samsung 67" HDTV is not capable of passing Digital 5.1 Surround why do you think Samsung provided both optical and digital audio outputs?

Yes, I have a Motorola HD cable receiver with DVR and dual turner. Since you mentioned it, it has exactly what I need. It also, has both optical and digital audio outputs. So all I need is another short digital audio cable to plug into the Bose digital cable.
Thanks for your help.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You keep talking about "optical and digital" outputs as if they are different things. They aren't. Optical outputs are digital outputs. Digital data can be transmitted as electrical impulses via wires or as light pulses via fiber optics. So you can have one digital audio output that uses and RCA connector and a second that uses an optical cable, and both will still be digital.

Are you confusing "optical and digital" with "analog and digital"?

As I noted above, your Samsung has the digital output so that it can send the DD 5.1 signal from its own receiver to an external amplifier, not so that it can pass the digital audio from other sources.

Regards,

Joe

olefin32

Auditioning
Real Name
Dayton

OK, try plugging an optical cable into a digital outlet. :laugh:

Nope, "I'm" not confused. Have I ever mention analog?
Suggest you reread my initial post.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

And I suggest you read any of my posts, which you clearly haven't done, at least not enough times to understand any of them.

The distinction you're making is between digital coax and digital optical - both of which are freaking DIGITAL. Words mean things and distinctions are there for a reason. When you can't make distinctions you can't communicate your problems clearly, and when you can't communicate you can't get help. Still less can you get help when you don't bother to read the posts of the people trying to help you.

Which I will no longer bother trying to do.

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Ahhh yes, the person asking for help insults the person who offers to help. The internet equivalent of cutting off your nose to spite your face. That'll get you far. :crazy:

Listen, as Robert stated, optical *IS* digital, so you can indeed plug "an optical cable into a digital outlet." I believe you are confusing the generic communications transport method called "digital" with the specific digital interface called coaxial SPDIF , otherwise known as "digital coax". This is the alternative to optical SPDIF, otherwise known as "digital optical".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks