What's new

No sound from subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Been a long time!

Hey guys I moved into a new house about three years ago and set up my Denon AVR-890 and Swan Diva 6.1's but put the subwoofer into the basement to mess with at a later time. Well that time has finally arrived. I hauled it up the stairs, connected it, changed my speaker settings to small and subwoofer to yes. Plugged in my microphone and ran the audessy setup. During the speaker setup phase the sub made its denon approved weird sounds but when I saved all the settings and moved on to blasting powerful bass notes nothing changed. It's not thumping or pushing any air at all. The LFE is still only coming from my main speakers. I've since reran audessy at least 3 times, each time changing a setting here or there but I still get nothing. Is the sub just too small to help? My room is massive and I'm still using a Dayton 10" from way back when. Thoughts/advice? The system is in the middle of a massive living room/dining room in an 80's contemporary with (not kidding) 20' vaulted ceilings. I knew the sub wouldn't work so well but I still feel like it should be outputting something.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Your post is confusing. Are you getting any output at all from the Dayton sub, or aren't you? If it's totally "silent", plug a CD player directly into the RCA inputs on the sub and play some music. You should get something. If not, you may have a dead sub.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Your post is confusing. Are you getting any output at all from the Dayton sub, or aren't you? If it's totally "silent", plug a CD player directly into the RCA inputs on the sub and play some music. You should get something. If not, you may have a dead sub.

I get sound from the sub when I run the audessy speaker set up. The test tones? Not sure what to the proper name is. But since that ive tried playing all different types of music and when doing that I get zero output from the sub. Not sure if audessy determined that my mains go lower than my sub. Does that seem likely? It was never the case in the past but I'm wondering if it's possible my room is the culprit.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ok ... the sub is working. Audyssey will often set the subwoofer level so low that you can't hear it. Try turning up the gain on the subwoofer and see if you can get decent output.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
Ok ... the sub is working. Audyssey will often set the subwoofer level so low that you can't hear it. Try turning up the gain on the subwoofer and see if you can get decent output.

I have it on full when running audessy.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ok ... turn it down to about 1/4 and then rerun Audyssey. What is happening is Audyssey is "throttling back" your subwoofer. After you are done, you will have "room" to turn the bass up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks