What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Now Hear This...Where Is MISTER ROBERTS On Blu? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I can’t believe this classic film of sailors, scotch, transfer requests and stinking palm trees has never been released on Blu Ray. Or even an HD streaming version.

With great performances by Henry Fonda, James Cagney, and Jack Lemmon as Ensign Pulver, this WWII classic directed by John Ford and Mervyn Le Roy deserves better.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Presumably shot early 1955, on 5248, and processed by Warner labs. Prints would have been struck from the OCN, which would lead one to believe that problems abound.

Not inexpensive, and probably in line for work.

I’d love to see it also.

Hundreds of films to be dealt with.

One at a time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Supposedly the elements aren’t in pristine condition, and it seems to have fallen into that “we won’t put out anything less than perfect” trap from WB. Important part of Fonda’s legacy, would love a better version.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That SD streaming version is brutal. The codecs used for streaming have a really hard time with ancient video masters.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, yes, Mister Roberts has some very good company waiting in line with it. The fifties contains the most films I'd love from the Warner Archive, & I'd think not many of them easy releases.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I ran a 35mm of this from WB around 10 or 11 years ago and, even though the print was nearly new, the color was off and had that telltale yellow cast that indicates a degree of color fade is in the elements.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I can’t believe this classic film of sailors, scotch, transfer requests and stinking palm trees has never been released on Blu Ray. Or even an HD streaming version.

With great performances by Henry Fonda, James Cagney, and Jack Lemmon as Ensign Pulver, this WWII classic directed by John Ford and Mervyn Le Roy deserves better.
Your must be referring to the faux scotch. ;)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Well, the good news is that if a blu does out from WAC, it will most likely look the best it ever has and the best it can possibly look, short of throwing unlimited funds at it. In that case, it’s worth the wait. I marvel at the quality of every WAC blu these days.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Hopefully one day they will Finally release Mister Roberts. I have been waiting for more 1950's movies to be released by WBArchive. Especially ....Ivanhoe, Knights of the Round Table, Helen of Troy, and Land of the Pharaohs ! : )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks