What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Only the Brave (2017)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Title: Only the Brave

Tagline: It’s not what stands in front of you, it’s who stands beside you

Genre: Drama, Action

Director: Joseph Kosinski

Cast: Josh Brolin, Miles Teller, Jeff Bridges, Jennifer Connelly, James Badge Dale, Taylor Kitsch, Alex Russell, Andie MacDowell, Geoff Stults, Thad Luckinbill, Ben Hardy, Scott Haze, Jake Picking, Scott Foxx, Dylan Kenin, Ryan Michael Busch, Kenneth Miller, Ryan Jason Cook, Brandon Bunch, Michael L. McNulty, Nicholas Jenks, Sam Quinn, Natalie Hall, Howard Ferguson Jr., Rachel Singer, Ralph Alderman, Jenny Gabrielle, Brytnee Ratledge, Pell James, Lora Martinez-Cunningham, Jade Kammerman, Raleigh Cain, Matt Nolan, Lulu Jovovich, Matthew Van Wettering, Forrest Fyre, Josh Hopkins, Nicholas Liam King, Orion Pontes, Barbie Robertson, Staci Robbins, Lauren Chavez-Myers, Michael Menchel, Kevin Wiggins, John Trejo, Travis Armstrong, Austin Dennis, Jermaine Washington, Keith Jardine, Andres Segura, Casey Messer, Sarah Minnich, Duane Steinbrink, Donn Pease, Jim Dunham, Bob Wood, Jesus Cris Acosta

Release: 2017-09-22

Runtime: 133

Plot: Members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots battle deadly wildfires to save an Arizona town.

Surprised not to find a thread on this one. I watched the trailer in front of Blade Runner 2049 and it looked pretty good. I had not heard about the Granite Mountain Hotshots prior to this. I'm still deciding if I watch this in the theater or wait for home theater release.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, knowing their story and what happened I'm going to pass on this movie at the cinema. Brave men, but a sad story.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We saw 'Only the Brave' yesterday. FABULOUS filmmaking! It is a celebration of their lives and acknowledgement of the sacrifices they (and their families) made. Does it deliver an emotional gut punch? Yes. Will you need some tissue? Yep. But I strongly encourage everyone to see this film.

The Booth Bijou gives 'Only the Brave' 5 out of 5 stars. It earned a spot in my top 5 films of the year.

Yeah, knowing their story and what happened I'm going to pass on this movie at the cinema. Brave men, but a sad story.

You know what happened to them but you might not know how they got there. This is wonderful old-fashioned story-based filmmaking with terrific performances! To not see this because you know what happened is like not seeing Titanic because you know the ship sank.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You know what happened to them but you might not know how they got there. This is wonderful old-fashioned story-based filmmaking with terrific performances! To not see this because you know what happened is like not seeing Titanic because you know the ship sank.

Mark
The difference is the Titanic sank in 1912 while this fire happened in 2013. A little too soon for me to be watching this film at my local movie complex while munching on some popcorn and twizzlers. With that said, I stated I'm going to pass on seeing this movie at the cinema. I never said I won't be buying the 4K/UHD disc and watching it in my home theater on January 9th, it's video release date.

Last edited:

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
Living in Santa Rosa, Ca, this movie just hits too close to home for me right now.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Saw this today with MoviePass. Intense. Needed my tissues at the end. Good movie imho.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I find it sad that really excellent films like 'Only the Brave' don't get the traction they deserve at the box office. I guess too many younger generation folks that are only interested if it's based on a comic book or video game and has 2 million people getting blown up by some evil douchebag.

Mark

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I find it sad that really excellent films like 'Only the Brave' don't get the traction they deserve at the box office. I guess too many younger generation folks that are only interested if it's based on a comic book or video game and has 2 million people getting blown up by some evil douchebag.

Mark

Or maybe a lot of people just want to go to a movie that entertains them, instead of needing to be reminded of the tragedy that occurs on a daily basis.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This is a good movie that I think gets more praise than otherwise would be the case because it has such a gut-wrenching ending.

Prior to the last 20 minutes or so, it's pretty standard fare - reasonably well-done, but nothing that seems strongly above-average. It clicks all the usual boxes for a film like this.

The finale elevates it, though - largely due to the actors. In particular, Jennifer Connelly does excellent work as the long-suffering wife - the scene in which she confronts her husband in the vehicle boasts stellar acting, and when she confronts the tragedy, she does so with an emotional openness and vulnerability rare in movies.

So I don't view this as a great movie, mainly because the first 2 hours seems so typical - there's really not much there to stand out from similar movies - but the ending adds stronger than average emotional impact...

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks