What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Oppenheimer(2023) is a fascinating dramatic character study of a person who may have been as enigmatic and unknowable as particle physics.  J. Robert Oppenheimer has been hailed, for better or worse, as the father of the atomic bomb, and screenwriter/director Chistopher Nolan(Tenet) fills in the story of the most world-altering events in Oppenheimer’s life.
2023112622413674342723.bmp

Oppenheimer (2023)

Released: 21 Jul 2023
Rated: R
Runtime: 180 min

Director: Christopher Nolan
Genre: Biography, Drama, History

Cast: Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt, Matt Damon
Writer(s): Christopher Nolan, Kai Bird, Martin Sherwin

Plot: The story of American scientist, J. Robert Oppenheimer, and his role in the development of the atomic bomb...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I watched this for the first time on 4K disc last week and found it thoroughly entertaining. I came to it having seen the BBC series over the summer, so I knew a fair bit about the storyline(s).
The documentary included as an extra ('To End All War: Oppenheimer & The Atomic Bomb') I feel is excellent and isn't really getting enough praise online. It's a brilliant accompaniment to the film and a real bonus to the overall package.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review as I enjoyed the 4K disc last weekend. It was very thought provoking film and I have been doing additionally reading and viewing info on YouTube.

Thanks Keith for the post as I have not seen the extras disc yet. The documentary you refer to sounds exactly like something I want to see.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Thanks for the review as I enjoyed the 4K disc last weekend. It was very thought provoking film and I have been doing additionally reading and viewing info on YouTube.

Thanks Keith for the post as I have not seen the extras disc yet. The documentary you refer to sounds exactly like something I want to see.

stoops

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I bought the 4k UHD version and have just seen it using the digital code, but it wasn't fluctuating between ratios. Can anyone verify that is the case? Or did i get the wrong version or does it not do that on certain television sets?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I bought the 4k UHD version and have just seen it using the digital code, but it wasn't fluctuating between ratios. Can anyone verify that is the case? Or did i get the wrong version or does it not do that on certain television sets?

For Oppenheimer (and all other Christopher Nolan films with IMAX switches), Nolan thinks of the BD and UHD disc versions as being equivalent to seeing it in an IMAX theater, and those discs do have the switching ratio. Nolan thinks of streaming as being equivalent to a standard theatrical presentation, and has the film presented in a constant ratio for those versions.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just curious. Why didn’t you just watch the 4K disc?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nolan does not use a digital intermediate because he prefers to shoot and finish his movies on film. It’s an aesthetic preference.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks I amended it. I typed DI and met IP. Brain fart!

Happens to the best of us!

He likes to use the IPs to create the digital masters for digital theaters and home viewing because that allows them to use the photochemical color timing on all versions instead of recreating it digitally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks