What's new
World Wide Stereo

Paradigm speaker question (1 Viewer)

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I used to own a home theater using MileniaOne speakers. What would be the next step up from those in the Paradigm lineup.

If I build a new home theater, I wanted to step up the quality a notch. Plus I want to use floor stands instead of wall mounting. I will still be a 5.1 system.
I snagged a used Paradigm UltraCube 10 for $300 so it got me thinking about setting up a proper home theater again.

FYI... I moved out of state into an apt. and now into a house again.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
The Monitor SE line would be the next step up but I would go with their Premier line and up if budget allows as theres a couple of things to remember:

An accurate speaker is an accurate speaker, meaning a good speaker does not become obsolete like a display or processor would.

Speakers are very easy to come by on the used market and usually go for about half of their MSRP.

So in your search for an upgrade try to get the best speaker possible within your budget. Avoiding MSRP will allow a much better speaker than your budget would normally allow.

None of this is to sway you towards or away from anything, just my thoughts when someone is looking to spend money on a slight upgrade on speakers.

Last edited:

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
Ugh. I finally got to the local Home Theater dealer, and they said they were in the process of dropping the Paradigm brand due to lack of sales.

Not sure what direction I want to take. Other than a new reciever, I was most likely going tye route of used speakers anyway, but it was nice having a Paradigm dealer in driving distance.

As far as recievers, I'll gladly order an Anthem AV receiver straight from Anthem AV.

The money I save from buying used speakers makes buying a good reciever worth it.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Anthem dealers are not allowed to advertise discounted stock, make sure to call around before you order to see if they have any open box deals. My $2500 MSRP MRX 720 was $1500 with a full Anthem warranty ($2500 receipt included).

Last edited:

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
He never mentioned discounted stock. Anthem AV always jacks up the price of their new models over the old models.

If Anthem AV starts marketing a new model for +$500 more than the old model, the old model will look like a bargain.

Before he mention that, I assumed he sold Anthem AV recievers, but I didn't ask. The saleman was merely letting me know Anthem AV was coming out with new models. I was actually asking if he thought putting a soundbar on an inexpensive receiver so the receiver could control the sub-woofer was a good idea. He said it wouldn't be worth it, that for a soundbar designed for a 2nd sub, it would be fine to add the sub-woofer to the soundbar.

In any event I won't be looking for an Anthem receiver before I cobble together at least a center, left, abd right speaker.

Now that I think about it, I should just invest in even better front speakers and get a high end reciever (new). Then eventually cobble together rear speakers. Perhaps in a few years splurge for side speakers.

I'm comfortable with buying good quality used speakers, which saves a good deal of cash, or get lucky and find a good sale price on new speakers.

Last edited:

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
He never mentioned discounted stock. Anthem AV always jacks up the price of their new models over the old models.

If Anthem AV starts marketing a new model for +$500 more than the old model, the old model will look like a bargain.

Before he mention that, I assumed he sold Anthem AV recievers, but I didn't ask. The saleman was merely letting me know Anthem AV was coming out with new models.

Audioholics just released some details on new models. Lots of folks requesting independent sub outputs and it looks like theyve finally got it with this new generation. As a 720 owner Im not sure if this new generation is worth the upgrade (yet).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hmmm. 15 channels on the preamps. I kind of wonder why Marantz hasn't taken the 7706 beyond 11.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Seems to me in the residential market these crazy channel counts are just marketing fluff. Even Atmos is impractical to all but the most dedicated enthuiasts and, in my opinion, will remain niche for some time to come. More channels are nice, sure, but until we see anything native beyond 7.1.4 any higher channel count is just matrix, and matrix is just plain WRONG. :)

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Seems to me in the residential market these crazy channel counts are just marketing fluff. Even Atmos is impractical to all but the most dedicated enthuiasts and, in my opinion, will remain niche for some time to come. More channels are nice, sure, but until we see anything native beyond 7.1.4 any higher channel count is just matrix, and matrix is just plain WRONG. :)

The market is minuscule for pretty much everything above 5.1. That's how its been since EX and ES crashed and burned in the mid-2000s. Really the only thing Atmos has on those formats is its far more widespread in theatrical presentation, Otherwise same old story.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I used to have a 5.1 home theater. I'd highly reccomend at least 7.1 nowadays. Having side speakers goes a long way in the immersive sound experience.

Even if you can't afford additional speakers, at least get a system where you can add more speakers later.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
The Paradigm Ultracube 10 arrived and I got it set up.

Been a few years since I had a decent home theater, and adding a high end subwoofer to my soundbar was the best $300 upgrade ever.
(The sub was used, and has been discontinued for years).
Luckily I used own an Ultracube 10, and knew they were built like a brick $hithou5e.

I'd forgotten just how visceral a good sub-woofer was.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
Update.

Yesterday, I found MilleniaOne 3.0 brand new for a unbelievable price on ebay, so I got those, and also a set of used MilleniaOne 2.0 speakers also for a really good price. So I ended up essentially just getting the same home theater set up I had years ago.

Once I save up some more $$, I'll talk to the local AV shop that carries Anthem recievers, and get an MRX 540 reciever and have them install everything professionally.

I'm seriously considering getting a 2nd Ultracube 10 or 12 for my TV Room before I get it all installed. Ebay for the win. 😎

Right now, I've got the Klipsch subwoofer that came with the powerbar, and an UltraCube 10 hooked up, and even though it's a wide difference in power, you can hear that the less powerful Klipsch subwoofer still adding a bit of bass to the room. Not a lot, but enough to notice.

The Klipsch does a pretty decent job for the price, but it's nothing compared to a fully functional Anthem/Paradigm set up. Plus I don't have rear speakers, and I didn't want to bother with getting rear speakers for the Klipsch powerbar.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I hadn't looked at the Anthem website in a while, but the MRX 540 supports 5.2.2 speaker set up.

I'll have to seriously consider getting a couple more MilleniaOne speakers. I'd do that over a 2nd subwoofer, although I might have the dealer install a 2nd line for future subwoofer, that way I won't have to have them come out again just to hook up a 2nd subwoofer.

Last edited:

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I hadn't looked at the Anthem website in a while, but the MRX 540 supports 5.2.2 speaker set up.

I'll have to seriously consider getting a couple more MilleniaOne speakers. I'd do that over a 2nd subwoofer, although I might have the dealer install a 2nd line for future subwoofer, that way I won't have to have them come out again just to hook up a 2nd subwoofer.

Congrats, sounds like everything is coming along. I would go with a second sub before I did Atmos (or rears) tho.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I'll keep an eye on ebay. Just deciding if I want to get a 2nd subwoofer right away, or take my chances I'll find one later.

By the time I get around to having it all installed, it will be in a few months, (before the holiday season), unless I have to get on a back-ordered list. In that case, I'll have it installed whenever the Anthem reciever gets in... most likely in 2022.

Last edited:

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I basically posted this in another thread.

I might just go up to an 11.1 system. The AV dealership said Anthem's quality took a nose dive about 5 years ago, so he suggested I come in and look at different options.. some which would cost less than Anthem. That would be 11 Paradigm MilleniaOne speakers and a single UltraCube 10.

He has options for both single unit AV receiver, and multi-unit options. I'm thinking the multi unit option is more expensive, but might be a better choice.

Either way, I'll need to drive up to the store to dig into the options. A phone call just doesn't quite do justice.

I'll have the installers add a 2nd subwoofer line, in case I want to add a 2nd subwoofer in the future.

Last edited:

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
First time Ive ever heard a bad thing about Anthem. Ive only owned my 720 for a year but its been a good AVR so far.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I trust this guy. His store is in Nashville, and really the place people go that want a luxury system installed. A bit of a drive for me... I live in the sticks, but he's the closest dealer. But it's far enough I need to budget a dayfor the trip there and back home. Half the trip will just be wasting time in traffic and going out for lunch.

I think his bread and butter customer is probable customers with a budget between $3000 and $,5000 before installation costs.
Under $3,000, I'd think most people will get some sort of self install turn key system with wireless satallite speakers. -That just applies to the local area, not nationally.

Of course his three viewing rooms are decked out in luxury high end stuff that dreams are made of.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I trust this guy. His store is in Nashville, and really the place people go that want a luxury system installed. A bit of a drive for me... I live in the sticks, but he's the closest dealer. But it's far enough I need to budget a dayfor the trip there and back home. Half the trip will just be wasting time in traffic and going out for lunch.

I think his bread and butter customer is probable customers with a budget between $3000 and $,5000 before installation costs.
Under $3,000, I'd think most people will get some sort of self install turn key system with wireless satallite speakers. -That just applies to the local area, not nationally.

Of course his three viewing rooms are decked out in luxury high end stuff that dreams are made of.
I'm not sure what this dealer is basing his feedback off of, but I think it's pretty far off from reality outside their AVM70 which has been a debacle.

Their receiver lineup remains one of the best built, highest performing and most reliable lineups out there, and comes with excellent room correction.

I would be hard pressed to steer anyone away from Anthem unless it is a pure budget issue, in which case Anthem does cost a premium.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks