What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International Pepe (1960) Blu-ray from Spain (1 Viewer)

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Has anyone bought the Spanish Blu-ray Of the 1960 movie Pepe? I'm just curious what the quality is and If it is for sure region free? on Ebay a seller has it listed as Region free but on another site it says Region B. I've really been wanting to see this film for awhile but it is hard to find.

Amazon Link to Bootleg removed by Moderator

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Has anyone bought the Spanish Blu-ray Of the 1960 movie Pepe? I'm just curious what the quality is and If it is for sure region free? on Ebay a seller has it listed as Region free but on another site it says Region B. I've really been wanting to see this film for awhile but it is hard to find.

Pepe2021.jpg

Yikes $42.99 for a disc that's € 9.06 on Amazon Spain?
I can't find an image of the back cover of the blu ray except this blurry one:
Pepe [Blu-Ray] 1960.jpeg

But it seems suspicious because imagery - everything is identical to this bootleg dvd. You'll notice the dvd has no publisher, no mention of Columbia Pictures or Posa Films. A legitimate blu ray wouldn't copy the packaging of a bootleg dvd. Both the blu ray and the dvd were released on May 17, 2021.

Pepe dve.jpg

Last edited:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I was about to grab one up, and then noticed that the Subtitles are only in Spanish. Ah well, I guess
I'll continue to wait on this one.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
But it seems suspicious because imagery - everything is identical to this bootleg dvd. You'll notice the dvd has no publisher, no mention of Columbia Pictures or Posa Films. A legitimate blu ray wouldn't copy the packaging of a bootleg dvd. Both the blu ray and the dvd were released in 2021.
Okay, If the DVD is a bootleg then the blu-ray might be made by the same people. I can't seem to find any reviews of anyone who has actually bought the blu-ray so I guess maybe i'll just wait and hope it will be released in the US one day.

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I really wish PEPE would become available in the US blu ray or streaming. It is one of my holy grail films.
Mine also. All I have is a copy off TCM I recorded years ago. The holy grail would be the Roadshow version with intermission. Not sure if there was an overture or not. But clearly remember an intermission when I saw it a theatre in is original run.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I bought it because someone posted about it on Facebook and said it was great. Well, Amazon Spain didn't have any specs so I just took the chance. When it arrived I looked at the back of the case and, as you can see, the ratio is stated as 16x9. I hoped that was just a mistake. I put it on and the credits we're 2.35 as they should be so I breathed easy. Until the first scene came on and it became 1.77. Avoid like the plague. I, of course, went back to Facebook, found the guy who thought it was great and informed him he was a moron.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The original road show version is over three hours long. But that's about 180 minutes more than I would be interested in watching it. I liked Cantiflas in AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, but a movie in which he is the main character for three hours, and which garnered mostly bad reviews, sounds gruelling. An ego project? On the other hand, he is surely well-loved in Spanish-speaking countries. And the French love Roberto Benigni, but I have a hard time watching him in anything. A matter of taste.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Mine also. All I have is a copy off TCM I recorded years ago. The holy grail would be the Roadshow version with intermission. Not sure if there was an overture or not. But clearly remember an intermission when I saw it a theatre in is original run.
I saw the uncut version in New York. When we returned to San Diego many months later my parents took to me to see PEPE again. I was 7 but I remember saying to my mom..."What happened to the scenes with Greer Garson? My parents noticed it as well. The sound track album was played so often we wore it out and bought another....this time in "stereo" sound -)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The original road show version is over three hours long. But that's about 180 minutes more than I would be interested in watching it. I liked Cantiflas in AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, but a movie in which he is the main character for three hours, and which garnered mostly bad reviews, sounds gruelling. An ego project? On the other hand, he is surely well-loved in Spanish-speaking countries. And the French love Roberto Benigni, but I have a hard time watching him in anything. A matter of taste.
Are you asking if Pepe was an ego project? Um, no. Cantinflas was a HUGE star in Mexico. HUGE. Around the World was a HUGE hit. Columbia thought it could make money on a Cantinflas film here. And they were clearly using the Around the World formula of many guest stars. I'm not sure making it a three-hour roadshow film was a great idea, but the fact is it played roadshow here in LA at the Stanley Warner Beverly Hills Theater for almost four months, was nominated for seven Academy Awards, and moved over to the 4-Star Theater (which is where I saw it) for continuous performances (but uncut) and played there for a couple of months. Then it was cut for its general release.

John Skoda

Second Unit
I have the souvenir book from PEPE, and it has a strange process credit. It says "Photographic Lenses by PANAVISION," and "Special Sequences Photographed in CINEMASCOPE." Does that just mean they couldn't get the same lenses for the whole movie?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Are you asking if Pepe was an ego project? Um, no. Cantinflas was a HUGE star in Mexico. HUGE. Around the World was a HUGE hit. Columbia thought it could make money on a Cantinflas film here. And they were clearly using the Around the World formula of many guest stars. I'm not sure making it a three-hour roadshow film was a great idea, but the fact is it played roadshow here in LA at the Stanley Warner Beverly Hills Theater for almost four months, was nominated for seven Academy Awards, and moved over to the 4-Star Theater (which is where I saw it) for continuous performances (but uncut) and played there for a couple of months. Then it was cut for its general release.

Thanks for that background. Every movie has its champions, and I respect that.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
TT/SAE wanted this from Columbia(like Fox's Centennial Summer(but could not get it). I saw this new in my country when first released and loved it as did my late Mom. Back in the 1980s it was screened on TV in what the US would call the Late, Late Show timeslot and both of us sat and watched it after coming home from several hours door to door local paper and store catalog deliveries. We still loved it. I believe there were some sequences cut that Columbia might still have in their vaults. Columbia also released a couple or so Box Sets, on DVD, of Mario's Mexican films some more than 10 years ago which I bought. The French had Fernadel in their comedies who I also like.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have the souvenir book from PEPE, and it has a strange process credit. It says "Photographic Lenses by PANAVISION," and "Special Sequences Photographed in CINEMASCOPE." Does that just mean they couldn't get the same lenses for the whole movie?

Also in the opening titles.

It will on TCM 8/24 but not the full roadshow, It's says 3h 15m but the next movie starts in 3 hours.

1pepe.jpg

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I really hope there is a least a streaming version in HD that will be available . The print on TCM looks very good. I know the cut footage exists but I don't the status of that footage being useable.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Buying a foreign version of an American or British movie can sometimes be a trap. I bought the Spanish version of VALMONT because it otherwise wasn't available in Blu-ray. Unfortunately the English subtitles cannot in any way be turned off!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I really hope there is a least a streaming version in HD that will be available . The print on TCM looks very good. I know the cut footage exists but I don't the status of that footage being useable.
It's all usable. I fear that with Twilight Time and Nick being gone, it will never happen. I had a shot when Nick was pushing for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks