What's new
World Wide Stereo

Performance on 1080p 4K conversion projector? (1 Viewer)

Sarah Matheson

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
Hey guys, I'm looking at the Optoma HD27HDR.

50,000:1 contrast ratio
1.1x zoom
3400 lumens

It's hard to judge overall performance on so many variables - would you guys say that a conversion projector's performance is more similar to a 1080p or 4k projector?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome! - While I'm not personally familiar with this model and have never owned a DLP projector I can tell you that the [discernible] difference between "true 4k" and good 1080P up-converting models is minimal at best. In your case I would probably be more concerned about the contrast ratio as it is on the low side and the specs for this projector do not mention a dynamic iris. 3400 lumens is a whopping brightness spec but these numbers are often either exaggerated by manufacturers, achieved though convoluted measuring tactics that don't reflect real-world use scenarios, or result in such washed out pictures as to be unusable.

If your room can be made totally dark [light-controlled] you'll probably be suitably pleased. If ambient light is an issue, however, I would probably look elsewhere.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Gotcha - so I'm guessing it wouldn't be great for watching Sunday football (in a semi-bright room). Thanks for your reply John!

Sure thing. If that is your main intended use you would probably do much better grabbing one of the higher end 1080P models. As folks upgrade to either true or up converting 4k, these can be found at great prices and most sports programming is likely 720P or 1080i anyway.

Sarah Matheson

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
@John Dirk - thanks for the insight! The true 4K projectors seem to start at $1500 and if it's a rapidly growing technology it'll be outdated in a few years I'm guessing?

I'm also looking at the 4K tvs and pricing is much lower at $300-600 for 60-75"

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don’t expect to get a *good* 4K TV with anything like real HDR in 65” at that price range, though.

You’ll have to bump it a bit, but not a lot.

Sarah Matheson

Auditioning
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah I noticed that the 8K TVs are the new big thing. Online they start at $2500 for a 55" screen! I bet watching sports is pretty amazing though!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They’re over marketing something with little practical purpose. The monitor may be 8K, but there’s nothing out there transmitting an 8K signal. Sports are usually coming out as 720p signals or 1080i signals at best. Maybe the occasional 4K signal as part of a stunt, but not as matter of routine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks