What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release PHE Press Release: Paramount Presents! The Greatest Show On Earth (1952) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Having just seen "An American In Paris" for the first time last week, IMO *that* film was a case where the Academy made the wrong choice for Best Picture, not the next year with "Greatest Show On Earth." "Greatest Show On Earth" is a legitimate spectacle movie whereas "An American In Paris" I found to be a weak effort in which some great dance numbers were interrupted by a very weak-tea plot featuring a character who comes off like a creepy stalker to be honest (the film is vastly inferior to "Singin' In The Rain") and the fact it was all done on the backlot in contrast to the location shooting seven years later with "Gigi" makes its dubiousness as a Best Picture movie all the more apparent to me.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Having just seen "An American In Paris" for the first time last week, IMO *that* film was a case where the Academy made the wrong choice for Best Picture, not the next year with "Greatest Show On Earth." "Greatest Show On Earth" is a legitimate spectacle movie whereas "An American In Paris" I found to be a weak effort in which some great dance numbers were interrupted by a very weak-tea plot featuring a character who comes off like a creepy stalker to be honest (the film is vastly inferior to "Singin' In The Rain") and the fact it was all done on the backlot in contrast to the location shooting seven years later with "Gigi" makes its dubiousness as a Best Picture movie all the more apparent to me.
I also never really enjoyed the film An American In Paris. However, I saw the reimagined stage version about 4-5 years ago, and absolutely loved it! The extended time allowed for the more confusing plot holes of the film, to be better drawn out. And of course, the dancing was amazing to watch live. If the touring company ever comes around, be sure to give it a try.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I also never really enjoyed the film An American In Paris. However, I saw the reimagined stage version about 4-5 years ago, and absolutely loved it! The extended time allowed for the more confusing plot holes of the film, to be better drawn out. And of course, the dancing was amazing to watch live. If the touring company ever comes around, be sure to give it a try.
Not to help this current tangent keep on going, but I can’t see how anyone doesn’t enjoy An American In Paris, it’s a musical masterpiece just like Gene Kelly’s other masterpiece Singin’ In The Rain or the masterpiece of all movie musicals, The Wizard Of Oz. Not enjoying either of those films is just unheard of in my book.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Also, I find difficult to believe that some people argue that The Greatest Show on Earth for some odd reason didn't deserve its Best Picture win. Often different genres won at different times for a variety of reasons. A film did not have to be "relevent" or "edgy" to win, often just entertaining and, heaven forbid, light and joyful. I feel the same about Around the World in 80 Days, Cavalcade, Going My Way and The Artist. I also enjoy musicals and am glad so many won that prize, as well.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Not to help this current tangent keep on going, but I can’t see how anyone doesn’t enjoy An American In Paris, it’s a musical masterpiece just like Gene Kelly’s other masterpiece Singin’ In The Rain or the masterpiece of all movie musicals, The Wizard Of Oz. Not enjoying either of those films is just unheard of in my book.

I don't especially enjoy "AIP" because the story and character elements don't much interest me. It's a fairly standard love triangle that never does much to go beyond that.

People who love musicals like it because of those segments, and that's fine, but the musical elements don't do much for me.

When we're left to the non-musical parts, the movie's only sporadically interesting.

"Oz" has a fun story and adventure, while "Rain" has delightful comedy and compelling characters.

"Paris" doesn't have those positives, so I think it's less than enchanting.

Also, I find difficult to believe that some people argue that The Greatest Show on Earth for some odd reason didn't deserve its Best Picture win. Often different genres won at different times for a variety of reasons.

I wholeheartedly support the notion that a movie can/should win BP regardless of genre. BP has too often been reserved only for "serious dramas", many of which really aren't that good: see "Gandhi" over "ET" or "Chariots of Fire" over "Raiders".

"Greatest Show" simply isn't a good movie. It barely qualifies as a movie, as it's more advertisement for the circus than narrative film.

We argue it shouldn't have won because we think it's a weak film - not sure why that's tough to comprehend.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Maybe I'd be kinder to AIP had I seen it as a child on VHS in the 80s or something but until last week my only exposure to it was the dance number shown in "That's Entertainment." Watching it I was amazed how thin the plot is. Kelly's character I didn't find likable at all (I ended up feeling sorry for Nina Foch!) We just have Gershwin songs shoehorned awkwardly and we don't even get any female vocalists which is another mistake ("S'Wonderful" requires a female singer if you're going to have two people do it!). Oscar Levant was an amusing TV/radio personality as himself but he shouldn't be given an acting role to play (and a badly dubbed "singing" voice). And the fact it lacks true location photography after the opening minutes also works against it.

"Singin' In The Rain" by contrast has a story to wrap its songs and dance around and a *much* better performance from Kelly. He proved he was a great dancer in AIP who could do great numbers but that doesn't make it a great *film* as a whole IMO.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
You're all wrong! The worst best picture winner (at least during the "classic" era) isn't An American In Paris (like it or not, it's landmark in the Hollywood musical) or Greatest Show On Earth. It's Going My Way which is a piece of sentimental claptrap without any redeeming value! :D

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Opinions on Best Picture winners are as wide as the day is long; for example, I HATE Midnight Cowboy [don't @ me, please]. I've never seen The Greatest Show on Earth, but I hear it's seriously cornball. I fully expect that, being familiar with De Mille's output. That being said, I welcome the new output of physical media from Paramount in all its forms. It's a good thing.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
You're all wrong! The worst best picture winner (at least during the "classic" era) isn't An American In Paris (like it or not, it's landmark in the Hollywood musical) or Greatest Show On Earth. It's Going My Way which is a piece of sentimental claptrap without any redeeming value! :D
I'd say Stevens is a pretty good singer. Her Orphee, Dalila, Carmen and Octavian were justly celebrated. I'll admit that was outside the film, but still, she did display her magnificent voice in the film.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The London cast of the stage musical version of "An American In Paris" which has the Broadway leads, Robert Fairchild and
Leanne Cope is available on DVD and blu ray for anyone who enjoyed the show. I enjoyed the show . My only complaint was the replacement of "Our Love Is Here To Stay" with "Liza".

Here is a clip of Leslie Caron taking a bow with the Broadway cast of "An American In Paris"

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"GMW" is piffle, but it's fairly entertaining piffle! :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"GMW" is piffle, but it's fairly entertaining piffle! :)
I much preferred The Bells Of St. Mary's. Ingrid Bergman brought a certain gravitas to the film that was missing in GMW. And if we're talking about "Father" Bing, I preferred Say One For Me (1959) too! :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I much preferred The Bells Of St. Mary's. Ingrid Bergman brought a certain gravitas to the film that was missing in GMW. And if we're talking about "Father" Bing, I preferred Say One For Me (1959) too! :)
Ingrid is sacred, no matter where or when. I saw her twice on stage and she was magical. It was, both times, a birthday present she gave me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks