What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: The Andy Griffith Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
13770_tn.jpg

December 7, 2021

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Gives me hope for I Love Lucy.

Apparently the HD masters exist for the rest of the run for the standard (not “night of broadcast”) versions, and even more importantly, it had previously been said that the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours had been restored to their original lengths. So if all of that is actually true, it should be an easy set to assemble. I’d buy it!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
This is an unexpected surprise after the individual season releases stalled out after just one volume. Kudos to Paramount/CBS for putting this out in a single set.

Now (once this is released) it'll make it easy for Andy Griffith fans to choose how they want it-- the original DVDs (seasonal or all-in-one), or this new all-in-one Blu.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm only interested in this Andy Griffith set if the remaining seasons will be the same as the stand-alone season 1, in allowing you to watch the episodes with re-inserted "in-show commercials".

If these are just HD versions of what's been released before, I'll pass.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'm only interested in this Andy Griffith set if the remaining seasons will be the same as the stand-alone season 1, in allowing you to watch the episodes with re-inserted "in-show commercials".

If these are just HD versions of what's been released before, I'll pass.

Those types of commercials were done with by the time Andy premiered in the fall of 1960. Those "in-commercials" were throughout most of the 1950's with series such as Burns and Allen and Jack Benny.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is the way it should have been released initially. Looks like for the most part Studios are starting to catch on that consumers want complete series on disc. It is way too late in the game to stagger out season sets. Between this and Macgyver, it's going to be a crowded couple of months for me.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
This is the way it should have been released initially. Looks like for the most part Studios are starting to catch on that consumers want complete series on disc. It is way too late in the game to stagger out season sets. Between this and Macgyver, it's going to be a crowded couple of months for me.
From a consumer perspective, I agree. However, they are only going this approach now because all the heavily lifting of creating the masters is already done. Back in the day, they were only transferring one season at a time and releasing each independently. Financially, that approach made more sense for the studio, at the time.

If I recall correctly, they may have done the same thing when preparing the first TAGS season and the two ILL seasons on blu-ray. Now that these are just "slap" the existing HD masters on disk it is any easy call to release as complete series. I don't think this about "catching on" but more of what makes the most sense financially, at this time.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From a consumer perspective, I agree. However, they are only going this approach now because all the heavily lifting of creating the masters is already done. Back in the day, they were only transferring one season at a time and releasing each independently. Financially, that approach made more sense for the studio, at the time.

If I recall correctly, they may have done the same thing when preparing the first TAGS season and the two ILL seasons on blu-ray. Now that these are just "slap" the existing HD masters on disk it is any easy call to release as complete series. I don't think this about "catching on" but more of what makes the most sense financially, at this time.
I wish more Studios with series that are completely remastered in HD would just slap them on a discs and release them. There is so much available in the streaming world, but not on discs.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I wish more Studios with series that are completely remastered in HD would just slap them on a discs and release them. There is so much available in the streaming world, but not on discs.
Agreed. One of the unusual aspects of CBS making their "Syndication Bible" public is that as consumers we got an inside look at when seasons for a series were transferred to HD and the order of the transferring between series. As a result, we know CBS/Paramount transferred many series early on in preparation for HD streaming and the DVD releases. They may have even been more aggressive then some other studios in this case. We also know they now have a large backlog of unreleased HD masters available. While it may have taken a while for them to come to this conclusion (i.e., putting out these complete series on blu-ray for a reasonable price), better late then never. Now we just have to see how far they will take it. Seems like a "no brainer" but who knows for sure. We now have the "Incredible Hulk" release, so we know other studios are also testing the waters.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Yikes I just got the dvd edition for 59.00 at Deep Discount DVD after it being on backorder for months!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wow, this is great news. I have the complete series on the earlier DVD sets, but The Andy Griffith Show is such a treasure in our collections, a true essential! I'll be getting the Blu complete series set. I never purchased the standalone season one Blu, and thought that a complete series set just wasn't likely to happen.

With WB and Universal celebrating Clint Eastwood's 90th birthday with reissued Blu-ray sets of his movies, dare I hope that CBS/P might join the party with a complete series Blu-ray of Rawhide? The season four DVD release is terrible in PQ, a blight on having the whole series in the current (mostly excellent) DVD sets for the rest of that series...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks