What's new

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: Top Gun Maverick (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think Paramount really cares whether people buy it digitally or on disc as long as they get paid for it. They're not likely to lose much business over this because those of us who really care about physical media are going to pick up the disc regardless. For anyone happy with the digital purchase, Paramount gets to take their money sooner.

Has Paramount confirmed how the aspect ratio on the disc will be handled? I saw the movie at a Cinemark XD theater with a fixed scope aspect ratio, but I know that there were sequences filmed with IMAX cameras for those engagements. So I'm wondering if the disc will be scope straight through (like Disney does) or with shifting aspect ratios (like Christopher Nolan films.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't think Paramount really cares whether people buy it digitally or on disc as long as they get paid for it. They're not likely to lose much business over this because those of us who really care about physical media are going to pick up the disc regardless. For anyone happy with the digital purchase, Paramount gets to take their money sooner.

Has Paramount confirmed how the aspect ratio on the disc will be handled? I saw the movie at a Cinemark XD theater with a fixed scope aspect ratio, but I know that there were sequences filmed with IMAX cameras for those engagements. So I'm wondering if the disc will be scope straight through (like Disney does) or with shifting aspect ratios (like Christopher Nolan films.)

Jake,

They have not.

From The Digital Bits:

The 4K Ultra HD will feature Dolby Vision HDR (along with HDR10) and both the Blu-ray and 4K will Dolby Atmos audio. What’s more, out sources are suggesting that the film will be presented in a variable aspect ratio that shifts from 2.39:1 to 1.78:1 for scenes shot in IMAX format. However, this was not officially mentioned in the studio’s press release, so we’re working to confirm it directly with studio sources and we’ll post an update here as soon as we hear back from them.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
No aspect ratio confirmation yet. There’s mixed precedents with previous Kosinski films. Tron Legacy had shifting ratios in IMAX (like Top Gun Maverick) and those were preserved for the home media releases. Oblivion was in a different aspect ratio in IMAX for the entirety of the film, but the home media release is the standard theatrical 2.40:1 format.

Paramount preserved shifting ratios for their Transformers films that featured them, and on their double dip 2D edition of Star Trek Into Darkness (even though the shifting ratios were only offered in IMAX 3D theatrically, there was no IMAX 2D version of that release initially).

So really it could go either way.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Are the features for this film final? I recall a interview with the director stating he had a few deleted scenes he wanted to share.
I assume they are final because there would be no reason to issue an incomplete press release. Because the digital version coming out next week will have the bonus features from the disc, we'll know for sure next week once people start buying that.

Double dips haven't been happening nearly as frequently lately as they used to, but it is always possible that Paramount could choose to release another edition with deleted scenes down the line.

As noted by others, the wait between digital and disc is normal. Paramount has done long windows between the digital release and the disc release before. The Lost City was released in theaters on March 25, digitally on May 10 and disc on July 29.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I took a look and it appears this release does not include an option to buy a set that includes both UHD and blu ray. That’s unfortunate. I know it’s become standard practice for Paramount and other studios to release a UHD + Digital and not include the standard blu ray. I know the digital code is an option for many.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I took a look and it appears this release does not include an option to buy a set that includes both UHD and blu ray. That’s unfortunate. I know it’s become standard practice for Paramount and other studios to release a UHD + Digital and not include the standard blu ray. I know the digital code is an option for many.
Furthermore, it’s not like they passed the cost savings for not supplying a Blu-ray on to the consumers. Just another example of corporate greed as companies continue to screw their customers.

I never played a 4K disc on a non-4K set-up. Perhaps, that is the only option for some people.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has uploaded the artwork for the steelbook release. This is the first time I have actually seen what the steelbook will look like.

71h19rWON-L._SL1500_.jpg

I know it’s become standard practice for Paramount and other studios to release a UHD + Digital and not include the standard blu ray.
The artwork above indicates that the steelbook version will have 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Code.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I already own the original Top Gun on 4K blu-ray and have also owned it on a few other formats. Enjoyed the new movie and will be adding it to my library as soon as it is released.

Top Gun pre4K.jpg

Top Gun 1080 to 4K.jpg

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
From today's post on TheDIgitalBits:

"Keep in mind that we confirmed with the studio yesterday that Top Gun: Maverick will feature a multi-aspect ratio presentation with the IMAX sequences in either 1.78 or 1.90 (the rest of the film is the usual 2.39 scope)."

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I’m wondering what they mean by the Atmos track has been remixed for the home? Filtered out the low frequencies? I hope not.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
From today's post on TheDIgitalBits:

"Keep in mind that we confirmed with the studio yesterday that Top Gun: Maverick will feature a multi-aspect ratio presentation with the IMAX sequences in either 1.78 or 1.90 (the rest of the film is the usual 2.39 scope)."

I imagine I'm in the minority, but I'm just not a big fan of shifting aspect ratios, especially for home viewing. There are exceptions, but I usually find it more distracting than anything else.

Particularly now that most IMAX screens are just slightly spruced-up versions of previously normal big screens and the standard ratio (1.90:1) is well within the confines of the standard flat ratio of 1.85, if filmmakers really want the film framed that way, there's no reason regular DCPs can't reflect that (and I appreciated THE SUICIDE SQUAD doing just that).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I imagine I'm in the minority, but I'm just not a big fan of shifting aspect ratios, especially for home viewing.
I tend to agree with you, especially if the film switches between aspect ratios multiple times within a given scene, as Christopher Nolan has done before. Of course, I always support having films be released in their original aspect ratios, but with IMAX films, there are in effect two original aspect ratios. The IMAX version with shifting ratios is a legitimate way to see Maverick, but so is the scope version, which was released to all non-IMAX theaters and therefore also represents a legitimate original theatrical aspect ratio.

Therefore I think that as a general practice, the best option would be to do a two-disc set which offers the scope version on one disc and the IMAX version on the other so that the viewer can decide which version to watch. However, that has never actually been the case with any Blu-ray as far as I know. Disney always goes with the scope version only on the disc and has recently been offering the IMAX versions as Disney+ exclusives. Christopher Nolan always uses the shifting aspect ratios on his Blu-rays, so if you want one of his IMAX films in a consistent aspect ratio, you've either got to go with a DVD or a high definition streaming version.

I think it is very clear that we are going to get one version or the other on disc for Maverick too, and it will come down to how Joseph Kosinski and Tom Cruise want it to be presented.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Christopher Nolan always uses the shifting aspect ratios on his Blu-rays, so if you want one of his IMAX films in a consistent aspect ratio, you've either got to go with a DVD or a high definition streaming version.

As a projector user, it's fairly easy to mask of the excess picture at the top and bottom with electronic blanking.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It was about 2 - 3 days ago a local radio station announced the top box office numbers and Top Gun Maverick had brough in another 7+ million. So I am sure the studio is trying to milk every dollar from the theatrical run then taking advantage of the holiday season. I will be adding this title on 4K blu-ray disc asap!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Therefore I think that as a general practice, the best option would be to do a two-disc set which offers the scope version on one disc and the IMAX version on the other so that the viewer can decide which version to watch. However, that has never actually been the case with any Blu-ray as far as I know. Disney always goes with the scope version only on the disc and has recently been offering the IMAX versions as Disney+ exclusives. Christopher Nolan always uses the shifting aspect ratios on his Blu-rays, so if you want one of his IMAX films in a consistent aspect ratio, you've either got to go with a DVD or a high definition streaming version.

I've long thought that seamless branching might be an option, though that would depend on how long the movie is, and how much is in an alternate ratio.

As a projector user, it's fairly easy to mask of the excess picture at the top and bottom with electronic blanking.

True, but the consistent scope versions are rarely centered for every shot. Some shots are shifted upwards, some downwards, and sometimes onscreen text is in different spots between the versions (such as in AQUAMAN).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Don't know, I preordered this back in June, when Target had it listed during one of their "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sales.
I'm assuming you received one of these notices from Target:
1660923022561.png

Once again no request to "Confirm" the new release date ...

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
True, but the consistent scope versions are rarely centered for every shot. Some shots are shifted upwards, some downwards, and sometimes onscreen text is in different spots between the versions (such as in AQUAMAN).

I would say that's more the exception than the rule. Most Variable Aspect Ratio movies take the 2.35:1 extraction from dead center. Every single Marvel movie with a VAR or open-matte IMAX version does, for example.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Furthermore, it’s not like they passed the cost savings for not supplying a Blu-ray on to the consumers. Just another example of corporate greed as companies continue to screw their customers.

I never played a 4K disc on a non-4K set-up. Perhaps, that is the only option for some people.
Yeah, or as we all know, there will be another release. 1st 4K release? People will jump on it, so go for max profit. They can make more money with a Blu only release after.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I would say that's more the exception than the rule. Most Variable Aspect Ratio movies take the 2.35:1 extraction from dead center. Every single Marvel movie with a VAR or open-matte IMAX version does, for example.

Maybe so; I haven't checked all of the Marvel movies. But Nolan's movies tend to vary from shot to shot, and the possibility is always there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfarrukh
Recent bookmarks